86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

adjustable shocks worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adjustable shocks worth it?

so is there a benefit with adjustable shocks? I mean i know u can turn the knob for softer or stiffer but when i go wheeling i am often doing all sorts of stuff, like flying down fire roads at high speeds all the way to crawling. so my question is are they worth it? like those ranchos that have a 9 clicker deal?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyray
when i go wheeling i am often doing all sorts of stuff, like flying down fire roads at high speeds all the way to crawling.
My offroad trips cover all types of terrain as well. I don't have experience with adjustable rancho shocks on my 4runner. I did have them on my old bronco, back in the days. I really wasn't impressed. I have bilsteins on the runner and they are simply amazing (in all conditions). I highly recommend them. They are pricey, but well worth it.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:26 AM

They are a great shock, I just never adjust them, well maybe a couple time a year... if you have shocks that are valved for your app, your probally fine.. I run long f250 shocks, so the ability to soften them is great....

I dont know if I would go this route again thou... just dont use the features I paid for...
Old 01-09-2007, 05:46 AM

I purchased them for my 1988 4Runner, and also bought the in cab control module that has uses a compressor to adjust the ride. I personnally wouldn't recommend the in-cab control as I found the lines would disconnect quite often and release pressure a real PIA. As for the shocks they are quite good if you adjust them manually, but then there's the pain to go under the vehicle to change the way they react. I personally wouldn't purchase them for my driving habits -- I now use gabriels and they are fine for my needs.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

I have them on the rear of my 4runner. I would adjust them all the time when it was still my wife's daily driver. I would have them nice and soft for her, and when I would go offroading I would stiffen them up or when hauling stuff. Now that it is my DD I have them stiffened up but when I haul I still crank them up. I don't adjust them once I am offroad, a nice stiff ride works well for everything. The only time I was constantly adjusting them was the first time I went to the dunes.

I have heard that they are not great for the front of IFS rigs. Because they are just a basic shock that you can adjust, so a multi stage shock like OME's, Bilstiens, etc... are better for the front.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:30 AM

IMO Ranchos are a cheap shock and the biggest complaint I have about them is overheating, the fluid capacity is minimal which makes them heat up quickly. I have turned the shafts blue and melted several of them. If you are flying down fire roads where the suspension is working fairly hard then Ranchos are just about worthless. You need a gas charged shock, Bilsteins are on top of that list, they are not so pricy when you buy them through an RV place like Camping World in California who is an authorised distributer of Bilstein shocks for any application (not just RV's). I'm sure they have a website with a phone # to order. On a side note the Rancho RS9000 with the adjuster, anything above setting 3 is harsh and unforgiving and if you want to go fast on a fire road they will jar you around and have no rebound which is not a factor on a gas charged shock like Bilstein.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota82
On a side note the Rancho RS9000 with the adjuster, anything above setting 3 is harsh and unforgiving and if you want to go fast on a fire road they will jar you around and have no rebound which is not a factor on a gas charged shock like Bilstein.
That may be true on a truck, but the rear of the runners are really heavy. Mine are way too soft at 3. I was bombing around big bear with them on 7 and they were perfect.

Edit: I just realized that mine aren't for a 4runner since I have cruiser coils, so the settings may be different than yours.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Just to throw in my own experience. The ONLY time I've found adjustable shocks of value was in my Rx7. Tokico makes a 3 setting shock (Illumina if I remember the model correctly) for the '85 GSL-SE which are the only shocks I've found to work well in the rear (on that model).

The GSL-SE has very short throw suspension. I went through a variety of shocks all of which bottomed way too easily. The Tokico's set to max finally solved the problem. Big difference.

Makes me wonder if the front shocks on my stock '85 Toyota PU wouldn't benefit in a like manner. As many of you know better than I, that vehicle has very stiff springs. If you could get it to ride on a softer cushion most of the time, I'd think you might get a good effect.

But I love that truck, stiffness and all.

Last edited by rdharper; 01-09-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I love mine. Pop for the in-cab adjuster and you can fine tune the ride as you go:
Old 01-09-2007, 05:36 PM

so i was just on the arb website and those ome torsions and shock look good.... those better than ranchos?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 PM

I like my 9000s. The cheap-o Advanced Auto's are okay, but if you DD it I say that its worth it.

I dont know which numbers they are on but,
Righty tighty on the dial for the streets. . .
Lefty loosey for the trail . . . <----Caddyoda on the trail

Old 01-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like my RS9000x