86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Adding A/C to '92 pickup 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding A/C to '92 pickup 3vze

I am attempting to add A/C to my 4WD '92 pickup with a 3vze. There was no A/C from the factory so I went to the junkyard and started pulling an A/C system from a '91 4runner, assuming the parts would match up. I am now realizing that the heater box and blower box both need to be replaced be swapped as well. I am prepared for a hefty project but am looking for any advice from someone who has done this before. Are the A/C systems identical between a 4runner and a pickup? Any recommendations on getting the wiring correct? Will I need to replace the air ducts as well? Am I waisting my time?

Thanks in advance for any input
Old 06-03-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
This site says they're the same.
http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/TO...851089167.html

But I have no idea what parts, necessary for A/C, are already in a pickup without A/C.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:36 PM

OP- did you see this project through?
Old 03-04-2018, 05:35 AM

Sorry for the late reply, but yes. I was able to retrofit in an A/C system. Let me know if you have any questions
Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 AM

Thank you for jumping in here sir! I have a 91 with a donor 93 I've tracked down which is four hours away so I'm hoping I'm concise with what I need to extract. Hopefully given the closeness of the models I have a smooth transition.

I guess my question with a retrofit, any surprises? issues? Were all of the necessary harnesses in place?

Thanks for any advice!!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:34 AM

As long as you pulled it off of another 3VZE pickup, the parts should match up pretty well. I found that the mounting brackets and most of the parts for a 3VZE from a 4runner were actually different and would not work with the 3VZE in a pickup. Specifically, the the compressor and condenser were larger, reflecting greater cooling demand due to the 4runner having a larger interior cab. I have a '92 pickup and used most of my parts from a '94 because thats when they made the switch from R12 to the more modern R134a refrigerant. I had a difficult time because I couldn't find an intact A/C system from a single pickup so I ended up buying a new compressor, condenser and dryer as well as new high and low pressure lines coming off of the compressor. The under dash unit will slip in there snuggly but you might have to trim some of the padding off the fire wall. Given that I used system a out of a '94, I also ran into trouble with the harness. There was an extra sensor on my under dash unit that was supposed to shut off the compressor if the engine temperature got to high. My solution here was to bypass this safety feature by grounding the sensor wire permanently. This was the last thing that kept the compressor from kicking on when I had everything installed and charged. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions along the way.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:06 AM

Thank you. Sounding pretty plug n play for me then given the obstacles you faced. What about the AC amplifier? Harness there in the truck? Any ductwork modifications? I do see some additional circuits wrt what you likely had mentioned on the FSM diagram for 3VZ-E e/g and a/t.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:29 AM

The harness was already set up to plug into the A/C amplifier with the exception of temperature sensor that shut the A/C off if the water temp got to high that I mentioned previously. The duct work was pretty straightforward. There is a bypass duct under the dash that you can remove and replace with the new evaporator/amplifier unit. It was a tight fit but it should fit without any modification. It wasn't an overly complicated job, it was just tedious and time consuming. Best of luck to ya, let me know if I can be of any further assistance.