Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

About to buy Thorley...fab necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy Thorley...fab necessary?

I'm looking at the Thorley tri-y from summit found here...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I don't see a mounting port or flange for an O2 sensor, but in the picture I see a little tube that has been notched. Should I assume I need to weld this on myself? Currently out of a welder. Anyone who has this setup had to deal with this, or is the image perhaps just a general image, and the actual product exactly what I need? '88 runner, 2.4L 5 speed

Thanks-

-Chris
Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by babyfood1217
I'm looking at the Thorley tri-y from summit found here...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I don't see a mounting port or flange for an O2 sensor, but in the picture I see a little tube that has been notched. Should I assume I need to weld this on myself? Currently out of a welder. Anyone who has this setup had to deal with this, or is the image perhaps just a general image, and the actual product exactly what I need? '88 runner, 2.4L 5 speed

Thanks-

-Chris
I didnt see it in the pic...but I can tell you that any exhaust shop can weld in a O2 bung in your new stuff....just cut out the section of your old exhaust with the old bung.

hehehe I said bung
Old 05-02-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 1988 4Runner with the 22re engine. The Thorley headers that I have, purchased over 15 years ago, used the existing connector between the header and the cat. The O2 sensor is on that connector just ahead of the cat. I don't know if Thorley changed their header design, but I had to get a muffler shop to cut, then weld an extension on the connector pipe to make everything line up. I have been very happy with the header. No leaks, rust, etc. Gained a few horsepower and the engine definately breaths a lot easier.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:38 PM

Hmm...interesting. Why is it that various companies design a part that won't even fit without excessive (read: any-sort-of) fabrication at all. I didn't even pay attention to the price that summitracing.com listed for those thorleys, but for a few pennies more, I could get a set of LC enginieering headers that practically nobody seems to have a problem with. I don't have the money to do amazing upgrades, but with the same amount of $$$ needed for an OEM replacement, I could have a super-nice, top-o-the-line LCE header that hardly anybody complains about. By the way. My college graduation present to myself is a welder, so would should that change any of my decisions???!!! (graduation is still two weeks away)

Thanks in advance-

Chris, the poor WI college kid who can't afford to fix the exhaust that he needs to...
Old 05-04-2008, 04:56 AM

Well, I just bought a LC header and if I had to do it all over again I would probably go with a Thorley. The LC is way overpriced for the quality and, while the tech staff was initially helpful, in the end they screwed me.

I have a 95 regular cab so, as I had read in other posts, the collector pipe they sent did not fit (hit the torsion bar mount). They even called me to verify what model and year truck that I had. They sent me a new collector with an invoice which said if I didn't ship them back their collector (at my own cost) they would charge me $80 for the new collector and shipping. When I questioned them about why I needed to pay for shipping a part that they said would work on my truck they had no answers. I ended up sending it back but I will likely never buy another LC part again.

Their header is nothing special. The welds on mine look like something done in a high school shop class and the flange where the header bolts to the collector is a poor design in my opinion. They include washers with the bolts to attach the collector to the header but the washers don't fit right because the flange has so much weld on it that it interferes with the washer sitting flush. Compared to other headers that I have purchased in the past for other vehicles this header is ridiculously overpriced for the level of craftsmanship that went into it.

From what I understand the Throley's may have a few issues but you save at least a $100 and you end up with the product that is similar in build from what I have read.

I ended up buying a Thorley (Jardine) exhaust for my truck after dealing with LC and while it is not stainless like the LC is, it is constructed at least as well in my opinion.

Gabe

Last edited by ggardner; 05-04-2008 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 AM

I purchased the Street Header kit from LCE. I found the same thing as you. They were helpful at first but then shipping the part went on forever. Although, I was told they were still developing the part and were working out the bugs. When I went to install the crossover it didn't fit, and like you, they asked me to pay for shipping the correct part. They never asked me to send the other crossover back though. That would be way over the line, so now I have a crossover for a 5 speed and an auto.

I had to do little tweaks here and there to make everything work but nothing like breaking out a welder. In my opinion, if I pay for a coated part there is no way I should have to weld to it. It will destroy the coating and make it look like crap. I'm going to give them another chance when I buy the rest of my exhaust. Just take my advice. When dealing with LCE, ask if the part is in stock. I waited about 3 months for my headers.

Jason
Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Just call Summit to order, so you can verify O2 bungs. My Thorley has the O2 bung just off the head. No problems with install, no fab on header. If you get one that has the bung further down streem than intended by Toyota you may likely throw trouble codes, as the exhaust will be cooler.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 PM

I ordered mine from Summit.Came in fast and the headers came with everything for a bolt-in installation including the O2 sensor hole before the cat.You shouldnt have any problems.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackulua
I ordered mine from Summit.Came in fast and the headers came with everything for a bolt-in installation including the O2 sensor hole before the cat.You shouldnt have any problems.

That's either indoor-outdoor carpet, or you are VERY picky about your yard and just cut your grass, lol. That looks good man.

I think the only reason I personally would go with chrome on my truck is because I'd just get it covered in mud, bake in on, and I'd ruin the finish, lol.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you live on a danged golf course?