86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A340H 4x4 auto transmission electronic question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A340H 4x4 auto transmission electronic question

UPDATE: After switching the planetary gears/spline and pump spline and also the starter and neutral switches the trans drives and shifts perfectly!!!!!

Hey guys I recently picked up a 1993 A340H auto trans but I'm not sure what car it came off.

The electronics are different than my 1994 a340h on my 1993 3.0 4x4runner and the bell housing is stamped R with along with a different bolt pattern.

I want to use the wiring harness, neutral and starter control switch from my 1994 a340h on it to mate with factory wiring harness.

If the trans was from a Jeep would the internals of the a340h trans work fine with the toyota electronics?

Thanks

Last edited by 4x4-93; 01-27-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I doubt it. You need to really identify that unit. My first thought is to trade it at an AAMCO for the right one plus stupid amounts of money. I did that a couple of times, they had three big Conex boxes of cores so the boss simply did not care. Maybe you can call around, but it would help to know what you have from a negotiating position.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:22 AM

Received 825 Likes on 652 Posts
If by "electronics" you just mean the switches and connectors, I suspect that you could just swap them to avoid changing connectors on the harness. Also, you'd need to replace the bell housing. The A340H was used on a number of different vehicles (Jeep, and Isuzu and Toyota Alteza) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...smission#A340H , so the bell housing has to match the engine (as you noted, the cast "R" tells you something about that, but I don't know what marking is for a 3VZE). You'll probably also need to check the flex-plate connections, and maybe even the spline.

As for the internals, it would really surprise me if they made completely different transmissions for Jeeps but gave them the same A340H name.

But I can't say that I've done this myself.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The R is for 4cyl R/RE engine, the 3.0 & 3.4 have VZ bellhousings, the RZ's have an RZ on the bellhousing. The solenoid control is the same but the VSS inputs may be different. The AW4 even have a couple different VSS outputs that make trans changes an issue. Yes the A340's and AW4's are the same for all practical control purposes, actually Aisin makes a lot of the Jeep transmissions too. Most of the guys I know that do the AW4 swap just go with a manual control system for the auto.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
If by "electronics" you just mean the switches and connectors, I suspect that you could just swap them to avoid changing connectors on the harness. Also, you'd need to replace the bell housing. The A340H was used on a number of different vehicles (Jeep, and Isuzu and Toyota Alteza) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...smission#A340H , so the bell housing has to match the engine (as you noted, the cast "R" tells you something about that, but I don't know what marking is for a 3VZE). You'll probably also need to check the flex-plate connections, and maybe even the spline.

As for the internals, it would really surprise me if they made completely different transmissions for Jeeps but gave them the same A340H name.

But I can't say that I've done this myself.
Ok I swapped the bell housing but the 94 has a 26 spline on the inside while the 93 has a 20 spline, do you believe that I could swap the splines? Thanks again
Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is possible to swap from pump shaft assemblies. There must be a tear break on spline count. I have talked to guys who have done the AW4 swap and changed front pump shafts as needed. I used a 3VZ converter on my 22 RE A340F when I did the RZ swap. I found the RE, VZ and AW4 converters I had were all the same spline count. The RZ converter did not fit my RE trans. Of course the VZ bolt pattern on the flex plate since was different than the RE but the same as the RZ.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by R.DesJardin
It is possible to swap from pump shaft assemblies. There must be a tear break on spline count. I have talked to guys who have done the AW4 swap and changed front pump shafts as needed. I used a 3VZ converter on my 22 RE A340F when I did the RZ swap. I found the RE, VZ and AW4 converters I had were all the same spline count. The RZ converter did not fit my RE trans. Of course the VZ bolt pattern on the flex plate since was different than the RE but the same as the RZ.
The pump shafts both have the same spline count but the planetary output shafts is where the they differ. Would swapping planetary gears affect the final drive ratio? Thanks
Old 01-22-2018, 01:39 AM

Talking

Update: The planetary gears/shaft fit and freely spin in the case> I will soon know if they truly are interchangeable