86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A340F A/T dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hackengineering
One stupid question do you guys install the Torque converter in the tranny and then to the flywheel or do you attach the TC to the fly wheel and slid the tranny up to the TC. I have done both before on jeeps but just checking your opinion.
Thanks
Put the torque converter on the tranny before attaching the tranny to the engine. Make sure the TC is fully seating in the transmission. When you put it on you have to rotate it to get the tangs on the pump gears to mate with the notches on the TC.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustypigeon
Put the torque converter on the tranny before attaching the tranny to the engine. Make sure the TC is fully seating in the transmission. When you put it on you have to rotate it to get the tangs on the pump gears to mate with the notches on the TC.
Great that's what i started to figure after looking at it again last night.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Addressing the OP initial question and considering it's a crawler he's building and not a mall queen it's extremely accurate in my opinion. Automatics are for folks who can't drive a stick due to disability, incompetence or in Rory's case, it makes his toes hurt. Only tater heads who like to be "different" use an auto (slug POS) behind a 22RE (slug) and create a tater double slug POS time bomb.

:wabbit2:
I am surprised someone that is in the industry is making the comment "automatics are for folks who can't drive a stick". It appears you feel every crawler is better off with a manual, maybe you haven't seen the direction of industry but i can tell you it is not putting a sticks in every crawler. There is a plan for this rig and if the A340 does not hold up i am swapping in a 3bt with an NV3500 "i know a manual, hopefully due to my ignorance i can just shift to forth and it will drive itself".
I have always wanted to try the 22re in a crawler and when i got the opportunity to pick one up with an auto i did it and virtually for free.
And yes i feel being "different" is good and most of the time i do anything i can to make someone want to take second look and say wow that works and i never thought of that. I am sick and tired of looking at the same cookie cutter rigs out there with owners who are ignorant and think there store bought rig is better because they paid someone to tell them it was.
I can admit in this circumstance i am a rookie as this is my first yota build and first auto of the three builds i have done. But to assume right off the bat incompetence and disability is fairly ignorant and comical.
It seems if someone is representing there company on this site they may not want to be seen as the negative person that criticizes a potential customer.

Last edited by hackengineering; 12-10-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I am surprised someone that is in the industry is making the comment "automatics are for folks who can't drive a stick". It appears you feel every crawler is better off with a manual, maybe you haven't seen the direction of industry but i can tell you it is not putting a sticks in every crawler. There is a plan for this rig and if the A340 does not hold up i am swapping in a 3bt with an NV3500 "i know a manual, hopefully due to my ignorance i can just shift to forth and it will drive itself".
I have always wanted to try the 22re in a crawler and when i got the opportunity to pick one up with an auto i did it and virtually for free.
And yes i feel being "different" is good and most of the time i do anything i can to make someone want to take second look and say wow that works and i never thought of that. I am sick and tired of looking at the same cookie cutter rigs out there with owners who are ignorant and think there store bought rig is better because they paid someone to tell them it was.
I can admit in this circumstance i am a rookie as this is my first yota build and first auto of the three builds i have done. But to assume right off the bat incompetence and disability is fairly ignorant and comical.
It seems if someone is representing there company on this site they may not want to be seen as the negative person that criticizes a potential customer.
Assuming I was calling your disabled, incompetent or ignorant is what is comical. No where have I been derogatory about folks not being able to drive a stick, I simple expressed my experiential opinion about them behind a 22RE, so you owe me an apology for assuming words I did not type. As far as being a customer goes, that is an irrelevant cheap shot and has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Disability: I have an 88 at my shop now and the only reason the guy is keeping the automatic is because he has too, in other words he is disabled (disability), as in he is paralyzed from the waste down.

Incompetence: Never learned how to drive a stick, i.e my wife.

Rory: I was making fun of him cause I can and he will joke back, ie tater head

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 12-10-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Assuming I was calling your disabled, incompetent or ignorant is what is comical. No where have I been derogatory about folks not being able to drive a stick, I simple expressed my experiential opinion about them behind a 22RE, so you owe me an apology for assuming words I did not type. As far as being a customer goes, that is an irrelevant cheap shot.

Disability: I have an 88 at my shop now and the only reason the guy is keeping the automatic is because he has too, in other words he is disabled (disability), as in he is paralyzed from the waste down.

Incompetence: Never learned how to drive a stick, i.e my wife.

Rory: I was making fun of him cause I can

Your exact words were "Automatics are for folks who can't drive a stick due to disability, incompetence or in Rory's case, it makes his toes hurt." I can only read what your wrote, how was I supposed to translate that into your last post. Anyone reading that sentence would say hey this knuckle head is attempting to be funny at my expense. It is not a cheap shot, as a consumer i take the information that is presented to me and make the best judgement, my information was the statements you made.

Last edited by hackengineering; 12-10-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, that is exactly what I said. It's pretty clear.

A disability means just what it means, a disability as in not able to physically drive a stick.

Incompetence means just what it means, you don't know how to drive a manual, thus you have an automatic.

It's not a great leap. If you are offended I'm sorry but the only person I was making fun of was Rory.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:53 PM

TC replacement in an 89 22RE

Great that's what i started to figure after looking at it again last night.
I just had to drive from GA to SC to pick up my little brother, his 89 pickup died. He described the same symtoms you started the tread with. We haven't had a chance to drop the trans yet but from your discription and his, it sounds like the same issue. From that link, he has the same A340F transmission. (89', 22RE, 4spd auto, 2wd) If you don't mind me asking how much did you spend on the new TC and pump? Did you go new or rebuilt on the TC? What shop did you use? Were there any issues after you got it all back together.
Thanks for the help,
-Q.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 PM

I had a '93 pickup 4-cyl auto and it was annoying to drive on the freeway. Now, I have a '04 Taco 4-cyl auto. It has a lot more power. Now, it's tollerable. I kept the automatic, because I kind of grew acustomed to it. Here on the east coast, we deal with a lot of mud and sand and automatics definitely are better at that. From what I've seen, the only real advantage manuals have is engine braking on descent.

Last edited by Lawn Dart; 01-02-2012 at 02:47 AM.