Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 4 runner: clutch goes to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4 runner: clutch goes to the floor

Hi,
I'm hoping for some opinions.
I have a 4 runner that probly has a blown head gasket.
It has been sitting for 6 months now. I tried to start it up and the clutch pedal is on the floor. I read where the fluid might have drained out. I'm not real mechanical. I saw two wells on the drivers side but they're both full. Is that well somewhere else or is there something else wrong with it?

Also I wonder if someone could give me an opinion on if this is worth fixing for over 2k (213000mi)? If I get the head done should I replace the values or anything else?

thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those 2 fluid reseviors that you were looking at, one is for the clutch maskter cylinder, and one is for the brake master cylinder. The reservior that holds the smaller amount of fluid is for the clutch. The tricky part is, there can still be fluid in it but that doesn't mean there isn't air in the system. If there is air in the system it won't work properly. Lots of master cylinders will leak at the seal that is inside the cab. So grab a flashlight and lay on your back on the drivers side floor mat looking up under the dash. Now put your hand on the clutch pedal. Run your hand up the pedal untill it connects with a rod that disappears through the firewall towards the engine. That rod is part of the master cylinder. Take your flashlight and look where the rod and the firewall meet. This is where they usually leak, right at the seal. Is it wet? Dripping down the inside of the firewall? If it is, your leaking, if not, air must be getting in somewhere else. If its leaking, it should be changed.

My new clutch mastercylinder cost me about $50. Took me a little less than an hour to change.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 AM

Same as nothingbetter said. If you have air in the line then it just takes about 5-10 minutes maybe to bleed the system, have someone help you. Get it bled and you might be able to see where fluid is leaking, if you havent already found it. Also check out the slave cylinder to see if its wet. slave cylinder is located on the passenger side of the transmission. Theres a good writeup on here about bleeding clutches if youve never done it.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you mean the pedal is pressed in all the way or did it physically fall off onto the floor... I had that happen to me. The plate had cracked and the pedal slid off. Had a fabrication shop weld it back on there.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Okay, I have a new battery in it. I checked for linkage. I'm not seeing any by the clutch pedal. I was able to start it up, but can't get it in gear. I'm not sure what the slave cylinder looks like so I going to look around here.

Last edited by randes; 09-10-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
here you go: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...sm/clutch.html

There is a return spring in the clutch master cylinder, so if the "pedal is on the floor" it has nothing to do with fluid leaking out or air in the system. For starters, I'd grasp the pedal and try to gently pull it back. I suspect you will find it's not connected to anything.

And of course you can't get it into gear; you can't release the clutch.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM

Yes, it seems to not be attached. Pulling back it pops back as if on a spring. Now what?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:35 PM

I'm having someone fix mine at the moment it's from what I've been told air in line 2. Master cylinder or 3. Slave cylinder could be all the seals need to be replaced mine sticks to floor