Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 pickup 5 Speed Trans shifting issue...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 pickup 5 Speed Trans shifting issue...

I have a stock 93 pickup with a 5 speed transmission. The problem I am having is shifting into 3rd and 4th gear. When shifting into these gears, either with the engine on or off, it feels like something is stopping or prohibiting the shifter from fully going into 3rd or 4th gear. When I am driving, and want to use those gears, I have to hold it in gear, so it does not pop out. I had a friend of mine say that it is for sure not the clutch, but the fork may be bent.

Has anybody else had this issue before?

Thanks[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Last edited by smflyer; 02-09-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 AM

I have a stock 93 pickup with a 5 speed transmission. The problem I am having is shifting into 3rd and 4th gear. When shifting into these gears, either with the engine on or off, it feels like something is stopping or prohibiting the shifter from fully going into 3rd or 4th gear. When I am driving, and want to use those gears, I have to hold it in gear, so it does not pop out. I had a friend of mine say that it is for sure not the clutch, but the fork may be bent.

Has anybody else had this issue before?

Thanks

#1. change your fluids - this helped me a lot
#2. check your clutch master slave and cylinder slave for leaks.
#3. check your clutch bracket if it's cracked - this is a known issue
#4. change your shifter bushing. (could be weather and cracked from years of driving.) some people will recommend the bushing set from Marlin " http://www.marlincrawler.com/catalog/70/parts_upgrades "

#5. also with the clutch you can make an adjustment where the clutch mc meets the pedal.

double check all that, and then go from there.
if you going to replace you tranny fluid and transfercase you might as well do your front and rear diffs.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 AM

dem0nk1d,

Thanks!

I am almost 100% postitive it is the shifter bushing. The crazy thing is I can lift up on the shifter maybe a 1/4 of an inch and it shifts just fine into 3 and 4.

You mention the weather maybe playing a part in this parts failure. I didn't think of it till last night but a week or so before it broke the highs were in the -20 range, and for almost a week it didn't get above 0. I didn't want to drive my car when it was that cold so I drove my pickup, because I knew it would start, and that is when it would have happened.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:52 AM

I will be replacing that part tonight.

I have read a lot of threads about this bushing but nobody talks about how to get it out. I have seen pics of the shifter and it looks like it twists but I have tried turning the shifter and it does not turn.

Any advice would be good.

thanks

Last edited by smflyer; 02-12-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: updating
Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
check the damn fluid while your at it, pop the 17mm fill bolt off and stick a finger in it (no pun intended), see if you feel anything, if not got to your parts store and get some 75w-90 gear lube and refresh that ish, my truck hadnt had anything it, made a big difference in the shifting smoothness
Old 02-13-2009, 10:39 AM

89whitetoyota - Thanks for the thought. I did change the transmission fluid about 10k ago, and checked the level about 2k ago.

I had a heck of a time getting that top pushed down and twisted, because there were so many broken pieces down there. Once I cleaned them out, it went in and out with no problems.

I mentioned that if I lifted up on the shifter just a little bit it shifted fine. That was because that bushing was in pieces and it let the shifter fall down just a little.

Look like I will be ordering the bushing from Marlin.

By the way, I near a Toyota dealership and picked up the little piece that goes on the end of the shifter last night. They said it was $8.88 but when I went to pay it was only $3.49. I mentioned it to them but they said that is what the computer said.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 PM

Marlin shipped the part the next day but it took a while for the USPS to ship it.

I put it in and that fixed it! It is 100% better than it was.

I am cuious, it seems to have a tiny bit of play. I am curious is that is because there was a rubber O Ring or bushing that gave it a tighter feel than the bushing from Marlin does?

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Most shifters you push down turn pull out to get it past those two little pins IIRC.
Shifter seat and bushing are a simple fix that makes a big difference. A friend of mine had been convinced his transmission was going out.