Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 4Runner.......((HOT)) Rear Window Motor!? WTH???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
93 4Runner.......((HOT)) Rear Window Motor!? WTH???

Okay so I have been trying to diagnose my inoperable rear window motor. Also my wipers do not work as well I am assuming my defroster is not working.

I opened up the tail gate panel to take a look. I found that two wires were broken off a white with black stripe and red marks and a black with red marks. I searched around and after some time I found that they were more than likely the wires for the defroster. There are two nibs on the corder of the window. I took off the old female tabs and fitted the wires with new female tabs and plugged them in. I was thinking that since the rear wiper, defroster and window are all part of the same circuit that maybe it would fix my issue. It did not.

So next, I unplugged the rear window motor to test with a 12v battery. The motor was warm and I thought that was strange. At any rate I tested the motor and it worked like a champ sending the window up and down depending on the polarity. So the motor is good!

I left it the motor alone and started to work on a squeaky driver and passenger side window, lubing it up, etc.

I was going to button up the tail gate but before I did I touched the motor to see if it was still warm........IT WAS HOT!!! REALLY HOT!. I took off the negative battery terminal and then unplugged those two wires.....as it was the only thing I had done. I have them taped off. I am currently letting the motor cool and will plug in the negative battery to see if the motor warms up.

This is all strange.........any suggestions? What would cause the window motor to become hot? Did I have the wires backwards.......maybe something else?

My next step was going to be to replace the relays for the window......should I do something else?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:50 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
one of your switches (tailgate key switch) or your center console window switch sounds like to be stuck in the up or down position, sending constant power to your motor...random thought
Old 11-15-2017, 04:54 PM

Hmm.......that seems like a possibility. I'll check those out.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by GrimWolf
......should I do something else?
You should get a multimeter. It will save you more time and money than you can measure.
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...ter-90899.html
Old 11-15-2017, 05:42 PM

Unhappy

I have a nice one..........I just need to go to college to know what I am doing with it. lol.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by GrimWolf
.........I just need to go to college to know what I am doing with it. lol.
There are better courses, but this one is from Toyota:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/...aTech/h10e.pdf
Old 11-15-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you need to go to school to use a meter may as well surrender your drivers license as well .

The rear wiper, defroster and window are not part of the same circuit !!

The wiper motor is tied to the circuit so as not to turn on with the window in any position but closed.

I agree one of the switches is closed funny you could not hear the motor
Old 11-16-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After you check everything and attempt to fix the original wiring, if all else fails, you can do this:

You can run power directly to the rear window easily, just follow this guy's steps. Some guys do this with their front windows too, the window will be faster than you have ever seen lol. It will have a fuse on the line, and it will have a proper switch. You will know it is never the power line, relay or switch ever again!

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 11-16-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:25 PM

Love the video! I did get the relays......but this seems so much more simple.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:12 PM

Switched out the relays........back window rolled up but would not roll down.

Started testing the switch........took it out and disassembled it........had some coffee or soda sludge built up on one of the contacts........took it apart cleaned it up and sanded the contacts. Works like a charm up and down!!!

NOW, it rolls up and down fine......but the lock does not open when the window is down. Does anyone have a diagram showing how that is suppose to work. Been searching to no avail. I must have forgot something. I am sure it is something simple that I am missing.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Need to reach me over pull the lock manually? Seems normal to me, wouldn't want a cargo load shift acting on the latch handle to flop open the tail gate on the move..

Here is a decent reference photo

Old 03-02-2018, 11:20 PM

That is not normal for 2nd gen.......at least not mine. Normally, when the window is rolled all the way down the lock pops up automatically. In fact I cannot pull up on the lock mechanism which in turn means I cannot pull up on the gate handle. I have the panel off right now so I have to reach my hand in and twist the mechanism myself to get the cables to unlatch.