Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 3vze hard to shift into first at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 3vze hard to shift into first at idle

hey guys here are my symptoms/background. I recently replaced my clutch (marlin hd ). replaced the pilot bearing and clutch slave at the same time. I had to remove shifter to pull tranny out. its about 5k after the work im having a hard time getting into 1st gear while stopped. rolling no prob. oddly the problem is not consistent. I can drive sometimes 5mins to a few hrs before the symptoms show.
I rebled my clutch slave, fluid was pretty dark even tho its been 5k.

ive read on this forum its A)clutch friction material gettin in the way. most likely not that.
B) pilot bearing is seizing...I replaced it with a quality one that came with my marlin clutch kit.
C) bellhousing misaligned.......gotta look into that.....might make sense if its inconsistent
D) lastly I read a shifter bushing....now I did remove my shifters when taking the trans out....worth looking into? and lastly could it be I just need to adjust my clutch pedal for alittle more separation?

any info suggestions is apppreciated!! cheers
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM

could I have damaged my pilot bearing reinstalling the tranny? wouldnt it bind immediately? im racking my brain. ill try adjusting my clutch pedal tonight.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM

no other insights? I replaced mt fluid. smoother shifting but no improvent. I climbed under and it seems the bellhousing is aligned up good to the engine. I goin to order a marlin shifter bushing kit and look into the clutch master cylinder. cold the shifting is not a problem. when I rebled the system a few weeks back the fluid was dark. i dont think it should be that dark after only 5k. im suspecting my master is heating up and fluid is getting past the piston. will post findings for future references.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM

If you suspect the clutch hydraulics, have someone look at the slave while you hold the clutch pedal down. They should be able to see it slowly retracting if that is the problem.

I've bled clutches before that had an absolute crap-load of brown sludge in them. If you were the first person to ever bleed yours, there was probably quite a bit of sludge left in some nooks. In other words, I would not be terribly surprised to see the fluid going dark again shortly after a flush.

If you first shift into 2nd and then try going into 1st does it shift more smoothly? Difficult shifting into 1st is actually a fairly common problem which I believe has more to do with internal wear in the transmission than clutch problems. I have forgotten the terminology, but sometimes shifting into 2nd first slows down some internal part that then better aligns for the shift into 1st.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 AM

well the sexy beast does have 309k.
I did flush the clutch hydro system till it was nearly clean as the fluid goin in. I find it odd that for the first 5 10mins it shifts beautifully. as soon as the engine is warmed it gets sticky and never goes smooth again until its sat for abit off. I will have to check to see if the slave holds when the clutch is depressed. I did verify my trans mouny is shot. the rubber has separated and there is some movement. thats next on the parts list.
when it starts acting up, Its hard to get into any gear exxcept reverse. even after I put it in reverse rarely it will go into first easily.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM

What fluid did you use in your tranny. I have found anything other than redline mt/90 the tranny syncros don't like. They don't spin correctly. Just my experience. Marlin also sells a better quality replacment shifter bushing. After 10 years the stock one disenigrates.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 PM

I used 80/90 standard gear oil. me and my bro are doin a marlin order. def goin to atleast try the shift bushing and order an aisin master cylinder if it tests funny. hopefully I got some time tonight. putting my old dog down tomorrow so spending some time with her. 15.5yrs old. not bad for an old gal.