Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
did ya fix that front diff mount washer yet?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
A 3.0 to 22re swap...Nice!!! I hope you put a cam in that one and get rid of the slushbox while your at it! Dual t-cases and twin stick.

I hope your taking notes on the parts list I'm starting for you!!! I'll have that caddy spent before it's sold!

hahahahaha...easy there sir-spends-a-lot (of my money)

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
did ya fix that front diff mount washer yet?
no...i am still soooooooooooooooo sore from yesterday and the day before....not sure i want to go under there again.....it matches the passenger's side....probably makes little to no difference how it goes on....but i will put that on my "nice-to-do" list hahahahaha
Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
haha, just mess'n with ya man

that first drive is always the best

I took my first drive after the rebuild with my father, with the hood off still, up to the gas station to fill it up, lol. Had someone at the gas station look at the truck funny 'cause it was missing the hood and all, then he walked by and seen the engine bay and I watched his eyebrows kinda raise that's when you just smile to yourself and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

If I haven't said it yet, congrates man; fantastic job
Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 AM

ya did say it, but you can keep saying it....i'm OK with that.

for you it was probably the pride you had with your dad seeing that you did a huge job like that....my dad passed away a few years ago........but the pride i had of starting that up in front of my wife and boys and XXXTREME22R was likely similar.

sig updated by the way
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
My 92 4x4 22re just bit it.
Gotta start somewhere.

Stand-by....this is a little story leading up to making this thread.

193,000 miles.......head gasket at about 100k by the Toyota dealer.
Neglected and abused for years, it 1st taught me a lesson a year ago (July) when I 1st noticed a problem. Prior to that had always just been start it up and drive away. The truck has always been good.......in 18 years have a VERY short list of repairs....overall a very good truck.....never gonna get rid of it.

So in January of this year (actually New Year's eve) just doing some searching while sitting with the kids waiting for midnight, I started searching about head gasket repair advice / voodoo potions etc....... came across 2 significant things that night....YOTATECH and Thermagasket. Joined up with YOTATECH (what an AWESOME site and format guys!!!!) and started searching more about the thermagasket stuff. saw pro's and con's about he stuff and figured it was worth the $$ since as with everyone else, that's in short supply.

started doing prep work.....bought a radiator / hoses / thermostat. Never had really done anything myself on this truck, but thought that it was time I helped myself a little while getting some good "bonding time" with my 2 sons ages 13 and 7.

Proudy I changed the radiator etc....broke a bolt when taking the thermostat housing off and had a neighbor who works on CATs come over and helicoil it for me and everything else went smooth.

Changed the oil myself (a 1st form me) back around that time in February and then had enough money to buy the Thermagasket stuff......got up the nerve to do it, and it really did work. Didn't clog the heater core as alot suspected it would. But when i did it, my truck was not exactly legal because it was not inspected and while it was sitting so long I thought I'd try my hand at body work (again a 1st for me) and think I did a fairly good job at it.

After I did the Thermagaset stuff, I was now able to get a new tailpipe and got it inspected and ran the truck. My baby was back on the road.

Changed tires.......had 31x10.5-15's FUTURA a/t's on it that were really run down and put my 31'' BFG's back on with my American Racing type 8 rims.........ran it this way until I got yanked by a state trooper because my tires stuck out too much....so it sat again.......about a month until i put my ORIGINAL 18 ear old tires on with the original rims...except since i hate them i figured i'd at least paint them black....they do look good.

Had been n YOTATECH a few nights ago when the suggestion was made to me that it may not have been the headgasket but maybe the timing chain etc....., right aftr that went out i the garage with my son, looking at the engine, admiring the radiator (took the cap pff......if i had not done that I would have doubted later if there was water in the radiator).......went for a pizza.......the truck stalled out on the way home(it's an automatic, so that puzzled me)......after about a total of 6 miles or so....had to have my WIFE tow me home ( i broke down about 1/10th of a mile away / how embarrassing)...and taking off the radiator cap saw it looked dy, took off the oil cap and it looked like a capuccino.......and there it sat for the last 3 days..until this morning I figured I'd drain the OIL/WATER concoction that now was in my engine...

So here I is......and here it starts.....gona do this the right way, myself (with the help of a few hundred friends on YOTATECH)

Gotta say, whoever started this YOTATECH, I luv ya....in a manly way! This site has been a massive resource and inspiration to me and my boys and should serve me well in the future as well. KUDO's to you all as well as all the members and their input....hopefully I've helped out some members as well with some of my postings.

I'm no mechanic, but much more of a mechanic in the last 8 months than in all my previous years combined. So hen I ask a question, it's becase this is all a 1st for me.

Now, if anybody knows where there is buried treasure, I'd like to start digging. Which translates into, don't expect and substantial progress from me. Going to do what I can with what I have and maybe buy a thing or 2 here and there until I'm ready to dig in.

Pictures to follow..........

so this ^^^^ is how it all started.

a little melancholy today, i am.

a few months back, I met with the CEO of our hospital...we discussed alot of things that day, and i actually have the privilege of meeting with him several times a week.....we were talking about the overall running of the ER and hospital etc etc etc.....and what a daunting task it is / was and will be to balance it all.

that day he said something profound....maybe a little silly and maybe something you all have heard before......he said 'how do you eat an entire elephant?...1 bite at a time."

you guys may never get the true / honest sensation of what i feel right now and yesterday......or maybe you all do.

but this elephant is done.

gotta look for more stuff to eat now.....heehehehe
Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all these people asking useless questions when only one is really important.... did you get drunk yet? congrats again man.. I grew up working on cars, bikes and planes.... ok, not planes, but allot of stuff and this is all kinda go to stuff. but it seem you stepped up out of your realm to get this done.. once again good job..
Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 AM

nope...no booze just yet...hehehehehe
Old 05-21-2010, 07:18 AM

a pic of most of the supplies and tools to do this

dang!...i cut off the torque wrenches

notice the little wood step....was a mis-measured scrap laying round assembled like that and was PERFECT for working on the hard to reach areas.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 05-21-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Feel very proud of your accomplishment. You do deserve it.

You took it one bite at a time and conquerred.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
This thread is definitely one of my favorites. Congratulations on a job well done!!
I respect your position on DIY. It's not all about the fix. It really is about the process and how things work and why. I have been able to repair almost everything on my truck by myself thanks to so many people on this site.
Once again, Great job!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 AM

thanks again Phil.

TOYO...we were actually talking about you yesterday when we were taking a break looking at XXXTREME22R's flat bed on his truck and talking about how awesome your's is and other beds as well.

i hope someone got some use out of this thread in some way.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM

so, anyhoo...in trying to keep this thread "tech"...just letting you all know the rinsing of the cooling system has commenced....i imagine it's going to take quite a few rinses to get it to acceptable to put TOYOTA RED in.....and yes, they still sell RED at my dealer, as well as the PINK stuff (which they acknowledged was different ingredients besides the fact that it is diluted)

did not change the oil yet........it friggin hot out already (81) and i may just pull it back in the garage to do that.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
did not change the oil yet........it friggin hot out already (81) and i may just pull it back in the garage to do that.
Supposed to be a high of 92 today in Texas LOL.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005

i like that number....hehehehe
Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Haha! "Even a three quarter tank of gas."

Good job man!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by CodyX36
Haha! "Even a three quarter tank of gas."

Good job man!
thanks man..

between that, the a/c working and the radio working , it's all good....
Old 05-21-2010, 09:16 AM

bright idea hatching.......

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...s-asap-109997/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...flares-197618/
Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Might get snow in Reno this weekend. Enjoy your warmth.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Home made fender flares...hmmmmm

what about the rubber stuff they have to separating your flower garden and you lawn???

This looks like the same stuff for a ton less $$$

http://www.buy.com/prod/master-mark-...212122193.html

Last edited by Lumpy; 05-21-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Didn't read both links you posted...
Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 AM

gotta have my tires back on......

maybe this

http://www.lowes.com/pd_327258-61472...roduct_price|0

Last edited by 92 TOY; 05-21-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 92 TOY's 22re / crapped out / gotta start somewhere / thread