86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'91 V6 PU Start problems... still!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'91 V6 PU Start problems... still!

Hey peeps, so I'm still having problems starting my truck and it's really got me pissed and confused. I've replaced the starter two times and it still refuses to start at times, today being the first time since I put the second new starter in last week. Argh!!!

Around fall of last year, on random occasions, my truck wouldn't start. Eventually it just quit and refused to start at all, so I said okay, the starters bad, replace it. About 1-2 weeks after replacing it, the truck started doing the same exact thing, randomly choosing not to start. Well, this totally sucked because we had a BAD blizzard here in Colorado and it just sucked to be stuck in random spots because my truck wasn't feeling good. I came on here and read someone saying that if you hit the starter and it started, it was the starter solenoids. So, I tried hitting it when it bricked on me, and it actually STARTED! So I was like damnit, it's the starter AGAIN! I was thinking "Advance sold me a bad starter, THOSE BASTARDS!" Soooooo, I finally get a chance and take that starter off and have them replace it, I swap the new replacement in thinking "Okay, this is gonna fix it for good!" Well damnit, I guess not because it didn't start this morning. What really sucks is before I figured it was the starter that Advance sold me, I replaced the battery AND the alternator thinking it was either of the two. Nope!

So, has anyone else had this problem? Is it a bad ground? Is it the starter-kill relay on my alarm or the alarm brain? Cold weather? Tune-up? I need some ideas pleeaaseeee! Ahhhhhhh! If possible some links/info how to do it? I was thinking of re-doing the wiring from the battery but I'm not quite sure how to do it.

BTW: I got it to start this morning by hitting the starter again. So apparently, hitting the starter fixes whatever problem I'm having. What exactly does hitting the starter fix? And what could cause it?

Please enlighten me yota gods! :[
Old 02-08-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you got another starter, did you get it from Advance again? If so, maybe you could try someplace else? I'm guessing you gave up your stock starter for the core, so replacing the contacts is probably out of the question.

Rob
Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't think the whacking it trick could be a good "treatment". Jus' maybe get ya home. Works for me. I don't know why bangin' anything around to make it work, works, usually. I'm always amazed when it does. No matter how often it seems to. The wiring couldn't hurt checkin' into. That was my prob., I believe.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-08-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rdlsz24: Hmm, out of the question? Is that a bad thing? How likely is it that they sold me another bad starter? At this point I'm pretty much convinced I have a wiring problem.

MudHippy: Well yeah, funny thing is that the last starter had a big hole in the side of it because I hit it with my extension bar so much! lol I was really afraid they wouldn't replace it, luckily I know the guy that works there so he helped me out. Heres the thing, it only seems to have problems when it's really cold outside. This morning was freezing. Anyone have any ideas yet? I can't believe nobody has any ideas or hasn't ran into this problem themselves with sooooo many yota owners on here! :[
Old 02-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Do the simple voltage check shown on my web page to help isolate the cause of the problem:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest