86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'90 4Runner Winter Project Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'90 4Runner Winter Project Advice Needed

I bought a '90 4 Runner with a seized V6 for cheap not too long ago and I just might have time to do something with it this winter. I would really appreciate some expert advice on what to do with it. Consider it a blank slate. I can do all the wrenching and fab work myself.

I don't really want a full-blown rock crawler. Just something to take out on some Moderate trails and do some backcountry camping.

Here's what I'm starting with:

V6 SR5 Automatic Transmission (No A/C)
Engine is apart, ready for machine shop(had melted rod bearing)
Body in decent shape except for rust around rear wheel wells.

Questions:
Should I get rid of the auto trans first thing or do they do any good offroad?

Solid front axle or should I keep the IFS? If I go solid will this effect my trans choice? Gears and lockers for whichever axle you guys recommend.

What can be done with the V6 to gain hp since I have it apart. I hear they're pretty wimpy.

Again, thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 AM

42 views and not one reply? Come on, really? I was at least expecting one "do a search" reply. Am I on my own here?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 AM

The V6 is only wimpy for a V6. 150hp @ 5200 RPM, and 180ftlbs @ 2800 RPM. If you really want more power scrap the current 3.0 and upgrade to the 3.4L 5VZ-FE.

All its faults aside, she is actually a decent engine. Good trail manors, and its got enough torque at low enough rpm to get the truck to crawl along over most things I've been able to throw at it. I don't know engines well enough to tell you what you want to do for power. For longevity, put a set of headers, or a proper cross over pipe on it, and get the valves adjusted to spec.

I personally would go for a manual transmission. Its easier to do the swap to a manual when the engine and everything is already out of the truck. Just leave the suspension for now until you decide what you want to do with the truck. I might replace the shocks depending on how the ones on it are feeling. IFS works perfectly fine for the basic trails and even some of the nastier stuff, so long as you have a good set of tires on it.

Other then that its just the basics. Drivetrain, Armour, Tires, Suspension.

Lockers and a well working engine, get a good set of tires, then get some armour on the truck. After all that is said and dont look at upgrading your suspension.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some 35 with 529s and def on the 5 speed i personaly think ifs is junk but alot of ppl use it just my opinon
Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the replies. I figured that crossover pipe had to go. That's a serious tight bend. After looking at some of the IFS setups you guys are running, I'll probably stick with that for now. What do you guys like for lockers?

Thanks again and keep those suggestions coming.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM

you may want to consider a 3.4L swap or a supra straight 6 swap. The swap in both cases is fairly basic with some aftermarket support. I will always regret putting the time and money into a 3.slow. THe 3.4 can use the stock 3.0 exhaust just need engine and ecm
Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM

make sure you research your engine builder I made the mistake of installing a toyotacarpart.com engine. The short block was good but their heads are junk.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 PM

for more power out of a 3.0 options are pretty limited theres not much aftermarket support for it. i love the motor i just completely rebuilt mine and it runs great! if i had more money i would have installed oversized valves and headers since those are the main ways to get more power out of it, also heard that getting a custom cam grind helps a lot too.

hopefully someone can chime in on the places that offer the 3vze cam grinds, i think crower is the one im thinking of and weasey2k IIRC.

id swap out the auto for a 5speed, the auto makes the 3.0 feel even slower but i think mine flys with the 5 speed, i dont think its slow at all. sure its slower than all the v8s but i think its makes a decent amount of power