86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 RE engine, few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
86 RE engine, few questions.

Is it the same motor as a 88 RE? Direct bolt in? Same heads, intake, etc? What are the variations between the two, anything? Does it matter what transmission it had on it?

I picked up the full complete running motor for 300 bucks, not bad. It's getting torn apart starting next month, fully built up. It's either going in an 88RE AUTO 2wd pickup which is my truck, or if I can convince my neighbor to sell me his 87R MANUAL 2wd pickup, it's going to go into that, does it matter which transmission bolts up to it (same mounts?).

Thanks

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 01-03-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
85 (for the most part, save for a few left-over 84's that may have escaped installation) through 95 22r and 22re's should be the same engine. there may be some variation in the stud placement for the intake manifold, but that's about the extent of the differences.
well, other than the fuel pump block off on the re's.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem getting everything to bolt up. You will probably have to switch your sensors and ignition module though. Just keep track of where everything goes or you'll be chasing weird problems for a while. I learned the hard way.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lazlo
Shouldn't be a problem getting everything to bolt up. You will probably have to switch your sensors and ignition module though. Just keep track of where everything goes or you'll be chasing weird problems for a while. I learned the hard way.
The sensors and ECU's are all getting changed out. It will be torn down to a block, built from there- not a motor that these trucks see often. Stand-alone ECU, 90% sure on MegaSquirt.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:02 PM

I guess I should add that outside of the longblock assembly (block, crank, rods, pistons, head, valves, springs, rockers, cam and timing chain)...
Beginning ~89, the intake manifold changed slightly: earlier 22re's had the throttle body angled downwards slightly (a left-over from the celica engineering and its low hood I suppose) and the fresh-air inlet to the valve cover was sampled from behind the throttle plates (exposed to manifold vacuum) whereas the later intake's throttle body was horizontal (with respect to the upper intake manifold) and had the fresh air to the valve cover sourced ahead of the throttle plates (exposed to atmospheric pressure). The later intake seems to be less succeptible, although not completely immune, to residue build up in the intake- my 88 with 220K miles (at the time) had far more deposits in the manifold than our 91 (with 170K miles)... but the 91 had evidence of oil in front of the throttle plate and my 88 didn't.
Also, O2 sensors may be positioned in different locations, and there may be more than one. But that's going to apply mostly to later chassis and won't have any bearing on using a late model 22re engine in an 85+ chassis since the exhaust manifold and everything with it should stay with the chassis.
Now, somewhere along the line, injector type and ecu's switch several times (that I can figure) and some had a ballast resistor on the fender well:

The red circle to the left indicates the location of the ballast on my 88 (ignore the "irish cream" Java Monster can up by the firewall... ... and in many respects, my truck a bastard of a truck, what with it being an early 88 with what appears to be the most expensive version of whichever part there happens to be more than one option for: tps, igniter, etc.). This makes it sometimes difficult to be able to cross injectors and/or ECU's between years.
There may be differences in waterpumps, a/c compressors, power steering pumps and alternators over those years as well, but for the most part, if it's part of the engine mechanical or electrical, use the engine as a reference for parts, and if it's part of the chassis electrical (alternator, etc.)reference the chassis. The exceptions depending on how much of the other engine beyond the longblock you brought to the truck.
Oh, and another thing: the oil pan may be different if it for a 2wd or 4wd application. You can swap a 2wd oil pan onto a block from a 4wd truck in order to install it into a 2wd truck and vice-versa. Like I mentioned above the longblock is the same... head is the same, block is the same, crank is the same, pistons are the same, cam is the same.... The differences are in what bolts to the longblock.
I put an 88 22R longblock into a 91 22RE chassis and only had to block off the mechanical fuel pump mount (used the plate from the 91 22re engine- bolstering the idea that the block and head have not changed between 85 to 95). I used the distributor, intake, exhaust, etc. from the 91 and it all bolted up without hitch to the 88 longblock (after Scuba and I tore all the externals off the 88 22r) and the 22r's clutch and flywheel was changed out for the 91's flexplate and metal plate that bolts to the rear of the block- there's a difference between the metal plate that bolts to the back of the block depending on whether it's auto or manual trans, mainly for access to the torque converter bolts.
If I can take an '88 22r (carb'd) manual-trans engine and put it into a '91 22re (EFI) auto-trans chassis, you should have no problem taking an '86 22re and putting it in an '88.

Sorry for the long-winded secondary reply.

If you'd like to speak over the phone with me, PM your phone # to me and I'll call you.

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-03-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Different ohm rating on the fuel injectors...
Old 01-03-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by AZ89LONGBED
Different ohm rating on the fuel injectors...
uhh? impedance?
(that's what I was getting at with the 'ballast resistor' and different ecu's.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Don't forget the 86's didn't have a blinker-fluid overflow, abe...
Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by AZ89LONGBED
Don't forget the 86's didn't have a blinker-fluid overflow, abe...
"that's some bad hat harry."
Old 01-04-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Like I mentioned above the longblock is the same... head is the same, block is the same, crank is the same, pistons are the same, cam is the same.... The differences are in what bolts to the longblock.
If I can take an '88 22r (carb'd) manual-trans engine and put it into a '91 22re (EFI) auto-trans chassis, you should have no problem taking an '86 22re and putting it in an '88.

Exact answers I was looking for Abe, thanks again. You always seem to have the answer I'm looking for, very knowledgeable, that is for sure.

If you'd like to speak over the phone with me, PM your phone # to me and I'll call you.
Actually, I would like to take you up on that offer, although I would like to postpone it until I have the 86 block in my hands. I'm picking it up in a 3 or so weeks, then that's when it's going to get greasy hands, and when I'd like to talk with you on a few things