Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

85 window helppp

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 85 window helppp

So i just recently bought myself a 85 4runner..everything in its custom and the guy who i got it from took out the switch for the rear window(im guessing he had plans for it but never finished). i took the back panel off and came to find the two wires from the motor on the window were just dangling there. is there any way that i can hook these two wires up to a switch of some sort so the window can work? im ready to bootleg the hell out of it just as long as i can get it to roll down. any help would be great. thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 11:58 AM

Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 PM

heh, what colors are the wires? (one red and one black?)
Pics are always helpful!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:48 PM

I recently ran a pair of wires from the rear window motor to a double throw/double pole switch and ran that switch to the battery. I can make a diagram or a quick sketch if you'd like.

This allowed me to use the switch in the cab to make the rear window go up or down and didn't require the key to be in the ignition. The only downside is the key switch on the tailgate is no longer in the circuit so it doesn't work now.

If you need to get the window up right away and don't want to get a switch and wire it all up you can take two long wires and run them from one wire on the motor to the negative on the batter and the other from the other wire on the window motor to the positive on the battery. If nothing happens when you do that, switch the wires so the other one is on the negative and the other on the positive. You won't break anything this way as the window is run by direct power and can be reversed to go the other direction.

Last edited by eternalistic; 07-29-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by eternalistic
I recently ran a pair of wires from the rear window motor to a double throw/double pole switch and ran that switch to the battery. I can make a diagram or a quick sketch if you'd like.

This allowed me to use the switch in the cab to make the rear window go up or down and didn't require the key to be in the ignition. The only downside is the key switch on the tailgate is no longer in the circuit so it doesn't work now.

If you need to get the window up right away and don't want to get a switch and wire it all up you can take two long wires and run them from one wire on the motor to the negative on the batter and the other from the other wire on the window motor to the positive on the battery. If nothing happens when you do that, switch the wires so the other one is on the negative and the other on the positive. You won't break anything this way as the window is run by direct power and can be reversed to go the other direction.

Thats exactly what I need, just some sort of way to hook up a switch. That'd be great if you could draw up a diagram or something. I appreciate it man, thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by grovedogg
heh, what colors are the wires? (one red and one black?)
Pics are always helpful!
yea, there are two kinda of thick wires.. ones red and ones black.. the come directly out of the bottom of the motor
Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
See below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...layReplacement
Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I don't really understand all that.. I'm a bit of a noob with wiring. I understand what kind of switch I need but when it talks about ("Wire the two common terminals to the rear window motor and then connect one side to power-ground and the other side to ground-power. This way in one position the motor terninals have power-ground and the motor runs one direction") that's where it gets kind of confusing because theres only two wires coming out of the motor and it seems like this is asking for 4 wires..
Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
In short, hook the motor wires to power and ground one way and the motor goes up. Swap the wires and it goes down. With a switch, you have the two center contacts hooked to the motor and the 2 pair of side contacts hooked to power and ground, one power/ground and the other ground/power. Sop the switch is what is what swaps the wires for you. And since the switch can't "swap" the wires physically, you need two power and two ground wires permanently connected to it:

Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
In short, hook the motor wires to power and ground one way and the motor goes up. Swap the wires and it goes down. With a switch, you have the two center contacts hooked to the motor and the 2 pair of side contacts hooked to power and ground, one power/ground and the other ground/power. Sop the switch is what is what swaps the wires for you. And since the switch can't "swap" the wires physically, you need two power and two ground wires permanently connected to it:

So basically take the two wires from the motor (black and red) and connect them to the switch.. then get four other wires.. hook them to the switch (and connect two grounded on the truck and two connected to a 12v power wire in the truck?)

Last edited by rookieyota; 07-30-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 AM

Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 AM

Crude drawing

So here is a crude drawing I did in Photoshop, hopefully it makes sense. I can take some actual pictures too if you need more information.
Attached Thumbnails 85 window helppp-dpdtswitch.png  
Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your going to use the stock wires and control box carefull!!!!!!!!!1 the switch is a grounded cir! not a 12+ its ground!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by eternalistic
So here is a crude drawing I did in Photoshop, hopefully it makes sense. I can take some actual pictures too if you need more information.
thanks so much man, that drawing was exactly what i needed! got it all wired up and boom, it all works as if its stock lol. i appreciate it dude.. thanks again
Old 07-31-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by rookieyota
thanks so much man, that drawing was exactly what i needed! got it all wired up and boom, it all works as if its stock lol. i appreciate it dude.. thanks again
Awesome! Glad I could help.