Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

The 7.5" Supra LSD into a IFS diff thread.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 7.5" Supra LSD into a IFS diff thread.

Its been done before but I can't hardly find any info so I'll post this up as I go. I think this is a perfect mod for an IFS rig. The cost is low and the LSD isn't as possative as a TrueTrac so winter onroad manners should be good.

Anyhow I just baught a LSD for $25 + $20 for shipping, hopefully it won't need a rebuild. Anyhow it has fairly low milage and is coming with the bearings and such. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can pull it appart and check it out. The clutch pads from Toyota are a bit expensive.

These are strong units known to handle 300-400hp with high milage, so I'm betting on it being in good shape.

I'll take my time with the install and take a lot of pics and post them up here as I go.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks. looking forward to your pix. this sounds like fun! cheers eh
Old 02-22-2006, 07:06 PM

LSD arrived yesterday, woohoo. I'll get around to looking at it this weekend.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribing
Old 02-26-2006, 07:16 AM

Well I spent the day yesterday working on my partner's bathroom so I only got to open the box at the shop . I was hoping to have the time to open it up and take a look inside but I guess that will have to wait till next weekend. Till then here are some teasers.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...g/DSCN0229.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...g/DSCN0228.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...g/DSCN0227.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...g/DSCN0226.jpg

Now for the Goods. I was surprised just how small the unit really is. It looks pretty beefy to me.

According to the seller it has seen little usage in the last 10 or so years and was swapped out for a Truetrac although it was giving no problems before pulling. My research says that they are good to 350hp in a race application if the clutches are in good shape so I think it will be fine for what I'm gonna use it for. Apparently they only show real signs of weekness when the clutch packs are well worn and huge power is put to them. I went the the dealer and looked up the clutch parts and they aren't too cheep (about $200) so I hope this one is in good shape. The mech at the dealer said he has only ever seen one in his 15 years open and that was during his training program so he thinks they are quite strong. Even if I have to rebuild it it should only cost me about $250 total about half the price of a new truetrac.

If all goes well I can have this thing installed in my new (to me) front diff soon and then into the truck with the new rear as well.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

sweet... this would be good for people on a small budget...
Old 03-04-2006, 07:05 AM

K, I've had enough of trying to post pics on this site so I'm gonna give the link to the 4x4wire.com thread and you can view it there. I'll let you guys know when I update though.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1
Old 03-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by suprathepeg
K, I've had enough of trying to post pics on this site so I'm gonna give the link to the 4x4wire.com thread and you can view it there. I'll let you guys know when I update though.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1
Instead of using [image] [/image] just substitute "image" with "img". Should work.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:01 PM

K so I got the LSD back together it was rather easy, I'm moving on to the install stage.

Now for all you peeps who are really interested in this I'm just gonna direct you to the thread on the other board. Two reasons first being that it is easier to post up the pics I have and cause I don't want to waste my time posting long posts twice. Second reason is that I think you guys will find some of the input from some of the members over there adds real value to what I'm posting.

Check it out here:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...c=1&PHPSESSID=

If you have any questions you can post them here and I will deffinately answer them as best I can here.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:18 AM

as anyone done this with g series lsd from the MkIII supra? obviously for the 8" yota axle...i guess the only thing im unaware of is axle splines... ???

edit:

k after reading a lil more:
just to clarify, being the supra kid... mkii is pronounced "mark two" and mkiii is "mark three" ect... its a pet peeve. haha

F=7.5"
G=8"

(f) Only MkII(82-86) P-types(fender flares/sport seats ect) had LSD(unless outta the states)
three gear sets were available for the MkII. 373('82/open diff/rare). 410(auto). 430(5spd)

(g)MkIII's are a lil different...if you can find a sport package n/a this is prolly the least worn down...but LSD can generally be found in the turbo models...try and get a turbo/auto tho...they saw way less boost abuse...stock for those was 4-5psi while in a 5spd car its 5-8psi stock... but honestly who mods a auto =P
whp stock(5spd)= ~200-210 on a good motor(rings ect)
whp on stock n/a= ~140-150

keep in mind that the MkIII weighs in from 3600-3800lbs...the lsd should be plunty...for ive seen them handle well into 500whp on street tires and really dont break until slicks and clutch are in the equation... and even then you see the input shaft on the tranny break first... tho i definitly wouldnt wanna see 35s being used via a MkIII lsd...ouch haha.

also, remember that lsd requires good fluid.... or an additive... most like the ford lsd additive(ive never used it)

K back to our sheduled programing. haha.

in my search i noted that someone said its doable but gotta mix-match bearings?? part numbers? or clarification?

reason im looking into this is im soon to start my SAS axle build and i need to rebuild/regear my rear anyways, soo, being in the supra community i can get acouple of these units cheap... no its not gunna see much abuse(rock crawling isnt a huge thing for me) im really just gunna use my rig for a go where i can and with my friends kinda thing. and of coarse the mud will make a lil fun everyonce in a while...

Last edited by mkiidrifter; 07-27-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:10 AM

hello???
Old 07-28-2007, 04:14 AM

Hello what? you just answered your own question.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:36 AM

One bearing will be from the LSD and one from your 4Runner. I've read the article over at 4x4Wire a couple of times but decided I'd go with a locker in front.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put one in the rear of my '89 4runner. Yeah, you have to mix and match bearings to get it to fit. I forget which side is which. I submitted a writeup to 4X4wire on and I think it is still there.

When you have it apart, shim that little spring in there for some more clutch preload.

As for the winter months, I ran a Trutrac in the front for years. I had a TT in the rear diff too but it broke using the e-brake to lock it up. I ran welded and when I had to return the truck to more daily driver duty I put the Supra LSD in the back. The TT is the better unit and its ability to decrease torque bias to near nothing when coasting and better poor it on under load made it excellent in the snow. I don't think the Supra LSD will be bad in the snow, but probably not better either, both will work well.

Off road, it was like the Supra LSD wasn't in there. I could use brake biasing with the TT and it would lock up quite well. The Supra is rather immune to that trick. However, in the front it might make more sense. When you lift a wheel, the TT effectively operates like an open diff where the Supra will transfer some torque. The rear axle just plain needs a locker of sorts.

Frank
Old 07-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by elripster
I put one in the rear of my '89 4runner. Yeah, you have to mix and match bearings to get it to fit. I forget which side is which. I submitted a writeup to 4X4wire on and I think it is still there.

When you have it apart, shim that little spring in there for some more clutch preload.

As for the winter months, I ran a Trutrac in the front for years. I had a TT in the rear diff too but it broke using the e-brake to lock it up. I ran welded and when I had to return the truck to more daily driver duty I put the Supra LSD in the back. The TT is the better unit and its ability to decrease torque bias to near nothing when coasting and better poor it on under load made it excellent in the snow. I don't think the Supra LSD will be bad in the snow, but probably not better either, both will work well.

Off road, it was like the Supra LSD wasn't in there. I could use brake biasing with the TT and it would lock up quite well. The Supra is rather immune to that trick. However, in the front it might make more sense. When you lift a wheel, the TT effectively operates like an open diff where the Supra will transfer some torque. The rear axle just plain needs a locker of sorts.

Frank
thanks! thats kinda the answer i was lookin for. these together with 33 bfgs will be a great setup i feel. brake biasing??? noob at wheeling...but sounds like a technique to activate a locker???
Old 07-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brake biasing is a way to get the torque sensing gear type LSD's to lock up. With the Trutrac, you can basically lock it solid with the e-brake. The danger as I found is twofold. One, you can break the LSD. Two, you can twist the axle housing and actually rip a spring perch off. Now, you have to try to get up a seriously hard obstacle to do this. I did it trying to get around my friend who's Jeep got stuck on the easy part of the trail.

Anyway, the street manners of the LSD's are excellent and they are awesome on snowy roads. If you use the brake biasing with care, I used a lot of right foot when I did all that damage, you can do some fun trails.

Again though, the Supra LSD doesn't respond to this enough to be noticeable.

Frank
Old 07-29-2007, 04:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mkiidrifter
(g)MkIII's are a lil different...if you can find a sport package n/a this is prolly the least worn down...but LSD can generally be found in the turbo models...try and get a turbo/auto tho...they saw way less boost abuse...
incorrect, unless you just worded it wrong. EVERY turbo mk3 (86.5-92) has an LSD. the diff ratio is dependant on year, and not all N/A supras had LSD's.

'86.5-'92 MA70 N/A MKIIIs without Sport Package have a 4.30, open differential.

'86.5-'92 MA70 N/A MKIIIs with Sport Package (TEMS & headlight washers on '
86.5 - '88 : TEMS & PPS on '89-'92) have a 4.30, clutch-pack LSD differential.

'87 - '88 MA70 turbo MKIIIs have a 3.91 clutch-pack LSD differential.

'89+ MA70 turbo MKIIIs have a 3.73 clutch-pack LSD differential.

'90 - '92 JZA70 Limited and R MKIIIs manual trans cars have a 4.10 Torsen LSD differential and auto trans cars have a 3.91 Torsen LSD differential.

Note that a LSD was an option- so you could get a NA base model w/a LSD.

-shaeff

Last edited by shaeff; 07-29-2007 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 AM

I am going to give the Supra LSD idea a shot--But question being--since the i have ADD, unless I converted to locking hubs--would the front diff still "wear". I know it still rotates and only the drive shaft is disconnected but would it still wear the clutch packs down or because there is no drive shaft "pressure" it would just rotate like an open diff with little to no lock-up.

Thanks

Thanks

Henry
Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 PM

With the front axles disconnected in 2wd there won't be load on the diff to wear out the clutches.