Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4Runner 1st gen to 2nd gen dash swap possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4Runner 1st gen to 2nd gen dash swap possible?

I've searched for a definite answer to this and can't find one. I've heard rumors that a 2nd gen dash will bolt right into a 1st gen. People claim to have done it or know people who have done it, but pics are non-existent. I've even heard of a few 3rd gen dash swaps into 1st gens, but no details. So can it be done? I hate the cranberry red interior in my truck, but I don't want to go through all the trouble of a swap just for an identical interior in another color. If I do all that work I want it slightly more up to date. I've been going "what if" every time I see someone parting 2nd gen, I'd like a definite answer.

Last edited by Zelephant; 02-15-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 AM

Wow, I stumped Yotatech! That's a first for me.

Last edited by Zelephant; 02-16-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a discussion about this, and came up with the same answer...nothing definitive.
I have a 92 p'up, and a 1st gen 4Runner with the beautiful Crapberry interior(well, had...i have replaced almost all of the interior with 'nicer' colors). The vent system would be the biggest question, and it appears to be very similar, but there has to be some trimming needed because the windshields ARE different between generations.
There are a bunch of 2nd gen runners in my near by yards, but i have a pretty decent interior. But i would really like to see this done.

Oh...almost forgot, the key/ignition is NOT on the column on the 3rd gen truck(2nd Gen Runner) that may be an issue.

good luck
Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can be done in 2nd gen runners to first gen runners but you need it all not just the dash, the plastic behind it and all of the heater control and box, as far as a 2nd to first pickup i dont know, i saw a taco dash in an 81 on some board but im pretty sure it wasnt a bolt in ordeal
Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 AM
RBX

Blake is right, i recall looking at my center HVAC plastic thingy(white on the 1st gen 4runner) and it is clearly different from my 92 pick-up. So you will the plastic, just not sure if the heater core and adjacent plastic is the same.

Again, not definitive..hah
Old 02-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the replies, at least there's some info out there! No pics though, dang. If end up doing this swap, there will definitely be pics. But knowing my luck, I'll end up finding something totally unforeseen and discover the hard way it won't work! It's definitely a gamble, but it might be one worth taking.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my old 88 toy pickup had a swapped in dash i dont have a pick but i got it that way. the plastic i refer too is the stuff that the dash bolts too. if you strip a parts truck to the firewall heater box and all, it should swap over. im helping a buddy this weekend redo his interior and ill compare and take some pics, hell if we find a good 2nd gen dash we'll swap that and ill take pics and do a write up
Old 02-16-2011, 03:43 PM

It is possible, but it does not bolt in, minor fab work is required. Again no pictures but it is my friends 84 extra cab with the dash from a 94. i helped him do it. Get the entire dashboard from the donor truck, you will need all of it, heater core etc. The metal bar that everything bolts too to provide support for the dash from behind will have to be swapped as well as modified to fit. It takes time and patience, and you will want to put a slight bend in your shifter or every time you go for 1st, 3rd, or 5th you will be punching the dashboard.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by abeD85flatbed
It is possible, but it does not bolt in, minor fab work is required. Again no pictures but it is my friends 84 extra cab with the dash from a 94. i helped him do it. Get the entire dashboard from the donor truck, you will need all of it, heater core etc. The metal bar that everything bolts too to provide support for the dash from behind will have to be swapped as well as modified to fit. It takes time and patience, and you will want to put a slight bend in your shifter or every time you go for 1st, 3rd, or 5th you will be punching the dashboard.
Do you have details on what type of fab work? Grinding? Welding? Where?

No worries about the shifter though; I have an auto!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why not paint your current interior?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:21 PM
RBX

What paint code do you use that has a cup holder and rounded dash?

J/k....haha
Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM

There was some cutting and grinding done on the the metal brace bar that runs side to side, and getting the front of the dash to mount up under the windshield without a huge gap, if I remember correctly we had to trim the piece of metal from of the front of the original dash and use it in front of the newer dashboard.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought Dunnarunner did, but I think he switched back at some point.

*edit* Here it is - I think this guy has more time on his hands than I do - dig his build though, even if it does have the steering on the wrong side

Originally Posted by dunnarunner
Hello everyone,
but I started on the interior while I was waiting, I had a donor car out the back, but it was a 1992 model Hilux dual cab, and I decided to fit the dash out of the 1992 model into my 4 Runner, that was a much bigger job than I had imagined, if I had known what I had let myself into I would have left it alone. But that is all behind me now, I didn't like the instrument panel in the 1992 Hilux, so I went and made up a new panel with all aftermarket instruments. I was trying to make sure that every guage I put into the car was going to match.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by PirateMcgee
why not paint your current interior?
Basically what RBX said, and the fact that my dash pad has a massive crack, and the fact that I don't like ghetto-rigging stuff that way.

Flatbed- Thanks for the info! Will take that into consideration.

Corax- Thanks for the link, that look nicely done! Says he wouldn't have tried it if he'd known how much work it was, though, so that must also be considered.