84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Hello everyone,
My name is Clive and I am from Australia, I admit that some of things I may use will have you scratching your heads a bit, one reason is we have a slightly different language, and the other is we have slightly different manufacturers. The other thing I must point out is we have things on the opposite side to you people so some of my comments may not make sense. Anyway my vehicle started out as a 1985 4 runner, with a 3Y engine and a 5 speed gearbox, and 100% stock when I bought it, it was good to me for about 3 years, but when the motor died I decided to put a much bigger engine into the car, but as many of you know, once it starts it just keeps going, and mine is still going. The first thing was to install a Holden 253ci motor with a modified bell housing to couple up to the Holden motor. because we are not permitted to alter the firewall in any way I had to move the radiator forward.

This lead to a series of problems along the way and this took me a while to overcome, I ended up having to cut away some of the radiator support to fit the Holden V8 radiator into it, but i had no room to fit a fan on the motor, so I had to mount a thermo fan in front of the radiator, because the bell housing was made to use the Toyota clutch assembly I did not need to change much around the motor. i used standard cast iron manifolds for the exhaust, and later had an exhaust shop fit a custom system to the car later, but while I am waiting for parts to arrive, I live in a remote place called Mount Isa at the time, everything had to be shipped in and it took ages for anything to come in, not to mention expensive freight charges to match. The body was stock as well with a 2 tone paint job at the time.

but I started on the interior while I was waiting, I had a donor car out the back, but it was a 1992 model Hilux dual cab, and I decided to fit the dash out of the 1992 model into my 4 Runner, that was a much bigger job than I had imagined, if I had known what I had let myself into I would have left it alone. But that is all behind me now, I didn't like the instrument panel in the 1992 Hilux, so I went and made up a new panel with all aftermarket instruments. I was trying to make sure that every guage I put into the car was going to match.

This was the end result, I also made up a roof consul where I had placed some more instruments and gadgets.

I then started to remove all the door cards from the doors and removed the plastic lining in the rear of the car and replaced it with aluminium sheeting and covered it with carpet for hard wearing.

I had deiced on the lions head because here our GM company is called Holden and their logo is a lion, because I have now got a Holden engine in there I thought why not keep the theme.

I eventually got bored with the 253 ci engine and decided to get the bigger capacity and put in a Holden 308ci engine. These are the same engine on the outside, but the bores are different and so is the stroke, the heads and all the outside parts fit each other, just can't use the crank or the pistons in each other. and the blocks came out in the 253 with a tri matic transmission bolt pattern on the rear, where the 308 came with either a tri matic pattern or a chev turbo pattern, this was becaus some people wanted the turbo 350 transmissions in their cars instead of the tri matic. I had the early 308 which had the tri matic pattern because all my gearbox was set up for it.

I had this in there for about 2 years but in the mean time I set about a respray and painted the outside of the car.

I then put a new set of rims and tyres.

and that is the way it stayed for a long time. I have now taken on a second rebuild, and this is going to take a while, so if you are interested I will keep this going.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is that an external shower on the rear quarter of ur runner? looks like the one on my RV. thats awesome
Old 10-27-2009, 03:48 PM

Nice ride, love the 4hp badge on your valve covers Not to worry about being Australian lol I have 3 friends down there and have enjoyed some "Bundy"(Bundaberg Rum) with those wankers
Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 PM

yeah the Briggs and Stratton badges were a real good laugh, and yep that is a shower in the rear panel, with a 60 litre water tank where the spare use to be, and pumped out by an electric water pump they used for spraying weed killer around some of the farms. but when I put all the aftermarket instruments in the temp guage went to 120 deg Celcius, and I thought i had a cooling problem so I set about trying to find ways to keep it cool.

I fitted this vent from a Evo6 to try and let the heat out, but it turns out I have a 92 deg C thermostat, and Holden motors run around 110 to 125 deg normally, so there was no need for the vents. I like the look of them anyway so I will be leaving them there. I also decided to stand a little bit out from the crowd by making a roof spoiler, and I liked the way it turned out as well.

I have started working on a new motor to put into the old girl for now, it is another Holden engine, but this time it will be stroked to 355 ci, with a TH700 auto behind it, and I am using a fuel injected top end this time around as well.

some of the block had to be ground for clearances to take the the stroker crank but it all worked out in the end. i now have the new stuff turning up and I have started to get the car ready for the rebuild again, starting with the engine bay after the motor was removed. I want to tidy up the wiring and hoses for this rebuild.

because I am putting an auto in this time I will be using the transfer case still to fit behind the adaptor, we are lucky enough to have one place that makes these kits up.

This is just one of the piles of parts I will be using to modify this old tub. and with a trial fit of the new engine with all the headers and bits on there, it is time to see how much room I have and see what else I need to alter or remove.

the I remove the engine again to make all the changes I need to make then paint it all up again and fit it for the last time. This is where I am out of my depth, I am definately not comfortable with electrics, and putting a late model injected motor into an old 85 4 Runner is going to get a bit tricky for me. in that box of bit is the interface to make this mod possible, but like I said, I aint good with electrics. I also have to decide what coolers are better for my application, I have 2 different types here and I haven't made up my mind which one is best.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:50 PM

man ur just swappin out engines like its goin out of style real nice work tho

lovin the evo hood scoop as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 PM

I have to make this time count, the missus says there will not be another rebuild after this one, hehe she says it just costs toooooo much for her liking. I can't blame her really, it has kept me broke for a while. I am considering a front and rear axle setup from a late model Patrol, this will give me a lot more width to go playing on the slopes with, i have detroit lockers front and rear on this one for now, but i think next time I will put air lockers in.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 PM

Yeah that hood looks awesome! Good work. You'll like the air lockers I had them in my one jeep and they just work great.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:20 PM

I thought I had better let you see the shower as well while I was thinking of it.

from cleaning up the wiring to moving that commodore radiator forward to keep this old tub cool.

this is looking much better, I didn't like the look of all that ugly wiring, now it is time to fill all them holes in and make it look like it is finished when I repaint the thing.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 PM

might help if i had put some pictures up so you can see what I am talking about.

Anyway I had better get back out there and do some more, I am trying to get this thing back on the road by Christmas.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:09 AM

That's a very pretty truck. That shower is pretty slick too
Old 10-28-2009, 11:19 AM

great stuff man--glad you found your way to this little part of the universe--
btw--what do you think of your girl, jess? been following her endeavor for a few months, glad to see she's on her way--tough young lady--hats off--
Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 PM

Can't say I know any one called Jess, if it don't get in the car I don't know it, unless of coarse it appears in a forum I have joined as well, I am almost an anti social person really I sort of pick up on the worlds activities from riding with friends and 4wd ing flying clubs and diving groups, no time for TV, besides I get bored with it, kids watch weird stuff and the missus watches soapies, what I like to watch usually doesn't get aired very much. Not in this country anyway, not a lot of motor sport appears on TV here.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by dunnarunner
Can't say I know any one called Jess, if it don't get in the car I don't know it, unless of coarse it appears in a forum I have joined as well, I am almost an anti social person really I sort of pick up on the worlds activities from riding with friends and 4wd ing flying clubs and diving groups, no time for TV, besides I get bored with it, kids watch weird stuff and the missus watches soapies, what I like to watch usually doesn't get aired very much. Not in this country anyway, not a lot of motor sport appears on TV here.
yeah, i hear what you say--i follow just about anything to do with water also and that includes Australias Jessica Watson who is working at becoming the youngest person, male or female, to ever cicumnavigate the world, non-stop sailing alone at 16 years old--great kid--not one that spends too much time watching weird stuff on the tv, i reckon--
Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 AM

Talking

Well things have been a bit quiet for the moment I have just fitted the surge tank and the 2 fuel pumps for the injected engine, not real happy with the surge tank where it is for the moment I may just make a guard for it so I don't stuff it up along the way, I have to admit I do not go quite as far as some people do with their 4x4. I would have heart failure if I tried some of the things I have seen some people do with their 4x4. I am really quite docile with my 4x4 I suppose, i am going to be working on the electrics for a little while, and that will not be interesting in pictures so I will not post anything about that side of things, besides I have to get it all worked out myself first, then get stuck into it.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:43 AM

Red face

I got some work done today, I fitted my purge tank and the 2 fuel pumps i needed for the fuel injection setup but still trying to clean up these annoying wiring disasters I have stumbled upon. i never knew there could be so many things going wrong when nothing seemed to be going wrong, I may have to go and find another Hilux harness and replace this one. who ever did the last job on the wiring only had red wire to use, makes it a bit hard when all the wires are red, Power, earth, ignition, you name it, it is red, it is becoming a real nightmare. I wish i knew about this a long time ago, I would have fixed it on the first rebuild, I missed it because I never saw any problems and never removed the insulating tape to look at any of it, but now I am installing a new stereo system I took away the insulation tape and found a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 PM

Well I finally got the passenger side guard welded up, filled and shaped for the paint to go on.

Then I put the surge tank and lift pump into place, just so I could empty the fuel tank if nothing else. hehe.

Then I fitted the injector pump as well, i have put it down here so I don't get too much heat on it when it is working.

Now I am working on the drivers side guard to get it all cleaned up as well, then I can get it painted and ready for the wiring and the engine.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Talking

Well I have fitted the engine into place for the last time, the amount of times I have put this thing in then taken it out again. I am starting to get the hang of it now. You may notice that there is only a small piece of wiring on the inner guard now, That has to be better looking than what was there before.

I have also fitted the radiator into place as well, I used some old fuel hose to help protect the radiator from the sharp edges the body work may have.

Just have to get some more work done on the electrics and try to keep it all tidy this time, seeing as how this is suppose to be the last time I do it.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:37 PM

Talking

Well most of the wiring issues have been addressed,and I have installed this little number to tell me what gear I think I have selected anyway, not much to show for the amount of time I have been stuffing with it. But it is getting there.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Love the work. Real nice. I had one contemplated moving my stering wheel to the other side. I know yours was probably stock that way I like the interior, and exterior body work. Im not seeming to get all the pics loaded on my comp but you should post a pic of that dash cause it looks reall cool.

Nice job
Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 AM

Talking

Well I am not sure how many would like to see the work I have been doing to my little Runner, but this is an invite to have a look at just about every picture I have taken of it and its mods, all the way from the begining.

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...ner/?start=all

The only thing is you will see a few not related, but that is not a problem for me as the images are for public viewing.

Quick Reply: dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread