Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4Crawler idler brass bushings installed, steering sticks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Crawler idler brass bushings installed, steering sticks?

Well, just like the title says, I ordered and installed the brass idler arm bushings today. Overall, I love them, but noticed an odd side effect. On the way home from work, in slight turns, the steering would seem to "stick" as in not return to center when you let go of the steering wheel. I mean, it's not a huge deal, just something I was kind of suprised by. When assembling the idler arm, I did notice it took quite a bit more effort to turn the assembly, but nothing that would cause this. I've got e-mails to both 4Crawler and San Diego Off Road, and am waiting for a reply, but I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this. Don't take this as a bashing of the product. I'm incredibly happy with how much tighter the steering is, and am glad that it showed me how loose the rest of my steering components are lol.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
That's a symptom of an incorrect toe setting. As in your wheels are toed-out. No toe, or a little toe-in, will alleviate that.

What to do? Well, since you've stated that some of the other steering components are worn/loose, replace those. Then get a wheel alignment done, or do it yourself. No sense in doing a wheel alignment with worn out steering components. It won't be able to hold it anyways.

EDIT: What am I saying? There's MUCH sense in doing an alignment immediately regardless. Especially if you can do it yourself(many "pros" won't without replacing worn steering components first). And by it I mean adjust the toe setting. Which isn't that difficult at all really. I'll talk ya through it if you need. Or just do a search on driveway wheel alignment. I driven with the wheels toed-out, and even if they're just slightly toed-out it can cause some scary handling characteristics. Let me warn you...YOU NOW HAVE A BIT LESS GRIP IN CORNERS THAN YOU'RE USED TO! TAKE APPROPRIATE CAUTION! I don't know if you're like me and you like to take corners hard enough to make the tires squeal sometimes. But if you are...REFRAIN FROM DOING THAT UNTIL THIS ISSUE IS RESOLVED!

DAMN IT! Now I'm all nervous for ya. Where you at? You didn't wreck that thing already did ya? Say something...

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-04-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:52 PM

lol funny you should say that hippy, because I installed the idler arm with the truck sitting on my alignment rack at work . i do hear what your saying, in that I get told to align cars that personally, i wouldn't waste the time or money on, because they've got parts worn 3 ways from sunday, and probably arent gonna go straight anyway after I get done with them. the very next thing I did, was align it. Truck is perfectly straight (because for some stupid reason, the shop has been slow so i've had time to dial in the truck perfect) so I know its not an incorrect toe setting. Thats why I posted on here to see what ya'll think. I did back the nut off and retighten it (not as tight) but it didnt help much. I did get email's back from 4crawler and san diego off road, and they both said this was a common issue with overtightening during install of the bushings. I think i'm just gonna give the bushings some time to wear in a little, and see how it goes. I'll keep ya'll updated!

Last edited by 250000_yota; 05-05-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Are those bushings supposed to get grease during install or are they supposed to be dry?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you installed them on aftermarket or the original arm your truck came with, the reason I ask is because I want to order them, but want to make sure they will fit on my original idler arm.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 PM

I am pretty sure brass inserts need no lubrication.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 250000_yota
lol funny you should say that hippy, because I installed the idler arm with the truck sitting on my alignment rack at work . i do hear what your saying, in that I get told to align cars that personally, i wouldn't waste the time or money on, because they've got parts worn 3 ways from sunday, and probably arent gonna go straight anyway after I get done with them. the very next thing I did, was align it. Truck is perfectly straight (because for some stupid reason, the shop has been slow so i've had time to dial in the truck perfect) so I know its not an incorrect toe setting. Thats why I posted on here to see what ya'll think. I did back the nut off and retighten it (not as tight) but it didnt help much. I did get email's back from 4crawler and san diego off road, and they both said this was a common issue with overtightening during install of the bushings. I think i'm just gonna give the bushings some time to wear in a little, and see how it goes. I'll keep ya'll updated!
Ok...good luck with that .

Do I need a zerk fitting in my idler arm with the bronze bushings?
Nope, they are self lubricating. Grease will not hurt them so there is no need to wipe clean grease off of the housing and/or shaft but there is not need to install a zerk fitting either.
http://sdori.com/SDORI_Theory_Of_Operation.html

These are made from an oil impregnated bronze. Not all bronze is oil impregnated.

There are some bronze bushings that should be greased. Like my bronze idler arm bushings. Which are made from high tensile strength manganese bronze instead.
http://www.anchorbronze.com/863castmanganesebronze.htm

Originally Posted by maco35
Did you installed them on aftermarket or the original arm your truck came with, the reason I ask is because I want to order them, but want to make sure they will fit on my original idler arm.
http://sdori.com/SDORI_Theory_Of_Operation.html

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-05-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Thanks guys, now I know if/when I need to put these on my AZ FA5040. Also eliminates the possibility he didn't grease them.