Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4 The tanny guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 The tranny guys

Hey guys seems my 4Runner is always got something that bugs the crap out of me... (think i am too picky but whatever) ever since i got the truck ive had an issue that I have not really been able to track down fully...

Ok so here it is when my truck is, say on the free way in overdrive locked in with the torque converter (94 3.0 auto) and I come to an incline or try to pass well any load to the motor really my truck will stutter now and then BUT only when the torque converter is locked...

I can press the gas all the way down and it wont down shift just stutter like hell.. only if i press it down that last little bit will it downshift and hit crazy RPMS that i feel i shouldnt need just to go up a little hill...

Everything has lead me to believe it a motor problem till just today. While getting on the free way I noticed something as i watched the tach and my tranny shiffting gears... 1st and 2nd are fine but when it goes from 3rd to overdrive as im getting on the free way the tach will read 4K in 3rd then shift and say 3200 in overdrive then as i finally hit my freeway speed if seems to shift again down to about 2600-2700 I JUST NOTICED this the other day it was like it had a whole other gearset

after thinking about it i realized it must of been the torque conveter locking up to make it do that. but i can never get it to do that any other time to run in overdrive unlocked so my ? to the tranny guys is that is this normal? or should i be able to have it unlock when it has a load instead of struggling and stuttering going up hills or passing???

Last edited by MRecio; 07-25-2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: miss spelled
Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Check your tranny fluid level, and condition. If they seem ok, have a tranny shop look at it, as it might be the clutch pack or a solenoid going/gone bad.

Also is this with or without the ECT button on? The 3.0/Auto Combo isn't the most powerful combo, so let me know what works for you.

Last edited by Four Runner; 07-25-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 PM

This is without the ECT on I have not tried it with it on and I also about 2K miles ago dropped the pan replaced the filter screen and did a full tranny flush at my work so the fluid is brand new.. I just really hope it nothing expensive I HATE trannys so bad.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
On my 86 4runner, it was jerking in drive and overdrive. I had the valve body rebuilt, new shifter plate, switched out the solenoids and it still did it. So I unplugged the computer for the tranny and manuel shifted and it doesn't do anything funny. The culprit is the torque converter. It was slipping during lockup. It can't go into lockup with out the computer, because a solenoid number 3 controls lockup. When you unplug the computer, L is first, 2 is third and D is overdrive. You loose 2nd gear because you loose solenoids 1 and 2 which control the shifting.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That last "gear" that you feel is indeed the torque converter locking up. To test that it unlocks OK, drive the truck at a high enough speed to lock the TC up, then hold that speed. Very lightly touch the brake pedal with your left foot (not enough to start slowing down the vehicle... just enough to make the brake lights come on), while maintaining the same vehicle speed with your right foot on the gas.

When the brake switch is flipped (i.e. brake pedal moves), it will unlock your TC, so when you do the test above, your RPM should jump up approx 500rpm or so. Let go of the brake, and the TC should lock up again.

As an answer to your question, when you punch the gas to pass a vehicle, your TC should unlock, and it may shift out of OD also, depending on the circumstances.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:29 AM

I tried the brake test and it does unlock the TC but then it locks right back up when i take off the brake. but I still dont understand why it doesnt unlock when i hit the gas it will only shift out of OD if i press it all the way down hard... So I guess i am no closer to finding out how to stop the stutter
Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe your throttle cable needs to be tightened? Or your TPS may be out of adjustment?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:41 PM

After some more testing Ive found that the TC will unlock in overdrive if i am under 60-65 MPH after that it will auto lock and will not unlock only shift out of OD into 3rd at about 4500 RPM which seems really high to just get up a little hill... the ECT has no affect either does the AC being on or off...

Can i get any links for the TPS or the throttle cable so I can see what i need to check?