Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
almost to 300k on mine and runs like a raped ape, of course ive had it apart a few times and everything is ported. only thing left is the bores but i still have great compression so hopefully ill make it to 400k. also replaced crank with a forged unit after the first one broke at redline and much to my suprise didnt do any other damage.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
me too seems like it would be fun. anyone know what the atmospheric pressure difference between 6000ft and sea level in pounds? thinking a low boost turbo would be ok as long as it booste3d low psi to compensate for altitude like our kubota diesels with high altitude turbo compensation
isn't that pretty much the purpose of a wastegate? to maintain boost pressure? So regardless of atmospheric pressure boost stays the same. Unless your running max boost or close to it and the wastegate is fully adjusted "up".

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 08-11-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yay for the 3vze. subscribed.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
isn't that pretty much the purpose of a wastegate? to maintain boost pressure? So regardless of atmospheric pressure boost stays the same. Unless your running max boost or close to it and the wastegate is fully adjusted "up".
yea your right but i was thinking drive pressure too, dont want it to be too laggy but at the same time if im only after 3lbs than i can use a bigger turbo that wont boost right away but also wont be inefficent like a smaller one with higher drive pressure and wasgating most of it. if that makes sense. so i did a little research and its only like 2 to 3 pounds of atmospheric difference between me and sea level
Old 08-11-2011, 10:32 AM

xxxtreme i see what ou mean you may have misunderstood. that is exactly what they are for. my question was to ask the difference in pressure between here and there to see how much i could get away with with the stock fuel system. as far as the kubotas they were NA before at sea level but wouldnt pull worth a crap at altitude so td025 turbos were installed. one that see heavy loads has the gate disabled and is probably overspeeding the turbo like crazy but it runs cool and doesnt smoke at ridiculous boost levels
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Not sure what you mean by drive pressure as it's the exhaust driving the turbo to begin with. I would assume that regardless of altitude exhaust pressure is pretty much gonna stay constant sine boost stays constant. As air pressure goes down that means the wastgate has to send more exhaust flow to the turbo to spool it faster thus maintaining boost. Only thing I can think of is a possible and probably negligible change in lag since the wastegate at higher altitude would have to fluctuate more then it would at sea level.

Of course like you said it all depends on what size turbo your going with and what boost level your after. If your running at pretty much max turbo RPM for a given boost level at sea level as soon as you go to a high altitude your over spinning the turbo or the wastgate can't compensate enough exhaust flow to keep your desired boost.

Smaller turbos spool faster then larger ones, however larger ones can maintain a higher boost pressure for a given RPM. Problem is changes in altitude are gonna affect a larger turbo more then a smaller one. It's also gonna depend on the displacement of the engine as well. Fine line and ya really got to know what your doing. Running a T3/T4 at 4psi on a 22re is kinda pointless as it's gonna lag big time. And running a TD05 on a Big block chevy isn't gonna maintain boost at least not without overspooling the turbo.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 08-11-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did someone say their 22r spins 35" tires into second and even third??!?!!?!??!

Is this in mud???

Sounds like a fish story to me....
Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 AM

I can pretty much roast 1 tire (not locked) on my 22r and 33's w 4.10's. Rev to 3500 + RPM and dump the clutch.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM

ha ha ha one tire fire!! and i agree with your previous statement. the only way in my opinion to get a constant say... 3 to 4 psi without lag is a small supercharger.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:46 AM

my god all this turbo stuff is bringing back all my import/scca days geeezus. But then again iy my BMW didn't have 250K on it that thing would have been turbo'd by now. It's a perfect platform for it.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM

i wish i had a deep enough pocket to actually try alot of this stuff ha ha
Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 AM

yeah right. I'd be running a turbo 22r on pane right now.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:54 PM

replaced crank with a forged unit
where did you get a forged one?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about a remote turbo like the one sts have for the 5vz?
v band turbine and all other stuff are available in ebay at a good price,
it hink is more simple to do the down part is the issue oiling the turbine,the price of the pump to move the oil back to the engine is a little high.
maybe a sealed loop oiling system can work.
lets get creative and see what happens
and yes i have a 3vze and for me is a very durable engine if mantained properly as anything that need to be.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 PM

No i didnt say into 2nd and 3rd. Haha that would never be possible. I said i can spin them in first easily if i dump the clutch and while quick shifting into 2nd and 3rd it will chirp the tires. Sorry a little miss leading.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:09 PM

as far as the kubotas they were NA before at sea level but wouldnt pull worth a crap at altitude so td025 turbos were installed. one that see heavy loads has the gate disabled and is probably overspeeding the turbo like crazy but it runs cool and doesnt smoke at ridiculous boost levels
Diesels are a whole different animal when it comes to turbocharging. Many of them do not have wasetgates because boost is fuel-limited. Reduce the fuel and there is less exhaust energy and mass to drive the turbine, so boost levels off or goes down. A big reason diesels started getting wastegated turbos was so the engine manufacturers could use undersized turbines for faster spool without overspeeding the turbo. Spark ignition engines will meltdown if the mixture is leaned out to control boost, so it is regulated by how much exhaust is allowed to go through the turbine via wastegate instead.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
1.) Not sure what you mean by drive pressure as it's the exhaust driving the turbo to begin with.

2.) I would assume that regardless of altitude exhaust pressure is pretty much gonna stay constant sine boost stays constant. As air pressure goes down that means the wastgate has to send more exhaust flow to the turbo to spool it faster thus maintaining boost.

3.) Only thing I can think of is a possible and probably negligible change in lag since the wastegate at higher altitude would have to fluctuate more then it would at sea level.
1.) He was talking about a small, responsive turbo being a restriction and causing high turbine drive pressure, which utterly kills engine output. Drive pressure with most street-oriented setups is 2:1 with drive pressure being twice the boost pressure. Serious race setups manage to get it below 1:1.

2.) It will if we're talking about gauge pressure and not absolute. Take a 10psi wastegated setup from sea level to 12,000ft and it's still going to make 10psi on the gauge. It will make less power because the absolute manifold pressure will be lower by the difference in atmospheric pressure.

3.) The wastegate is always shut until the set boost level is reached, so I don't think it would affect lag due to altitude. Altitude is going to make for less air going into the engine before spool so there will be less exhaust to get the turbo spun up, though.

As an altitude compensator, I think a Rootes blower would be better even if it has no inherent ability to automatically adjust.

As far as a turbo 3VZE, I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole. It's fun to discuss, however.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:29 AM

I really wanna know how much power gains he has. I wonder how worth it is with a SOHC low hp motor. Does it even match the stock 3.4?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by cheap-ass
where did you get a forged one?
you can get a forged one by using a 3vz fe crank. the 3vz have the strongest blocks out of all 3 generations. saw another guy state this and i agree. the best combo would be 3zve block with 3vzfe crank and 3vzfe heads or 5vz heads with 3vzfe cams. the 3vzfe cams have a bit more lift and duration than the 5vz and give you a long flat torque curve earlier and will pull hard. if you want a forged crank or the best crank for a 5vz or 3vz use a 3vzfe forged unit from an early nineties camry
Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 4toy89
I really wanna know how much power gains he has. I wonder how worth it is with a SOHC low hp motor. Does it even match the stock 3.4?
I am going to assume quite a bit there is a dyno of a toyota pickup with a 3.4 on youtube and he only got 150 RWHP which is what a 3.0 clames to have from the factory.

you can get a forged one by using a 3vz fe crank. the 3vz have the strongest blocks out of all 3 generations. saw another guy state this and i agree. the best combo would be 3zve block with 3vzfe crank and 3vzfe heads or 5vz heads with 3vzfe cams. the 3vzfe cams have a bit more lift and duration than the 5vz and give you a long flat torque curve earlier and will pull hard. if you want a forged crank or the best crank for a 5vz or 3vz use a 3vzfe forged unit from an early nineties camry
Thanks now are all these parts you speak of interchangeable?
Do you know of any mods i can do to get some of these vacume lines out of my engine bay?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 AM

wheel hp and crank hp are two different animals due to parasitic drivetrain drag. and the 3vzfe crank is a drop in in the 5vz and 3vz blocks. the heads for a 3vzfe will work on a vze block with minor work and a plenum off a 3.4 you could put fe heads from a 3vzfe on a 3vz block with a slight bore with 5vz pistons and get a 3.4 with a dizzy that will run off the stock camry ecu.

Quick Reply: 3VZE turbo