Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze timing issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze timing issue

Hi all,

I have just replaced the distributor in my 3vze. I went to set the timing and the mark is off the scale, its is reading 20-25 degrees BTDC with the diag. ports bridged and 25-30 degrees BTDC when the computer is allowed to adjust the timing! This means that it actually wants to advance even further.

On the old dizzy it showed about 12 degrees BTDC and seemed to run fine. If i change the timing to 15 BTDC then the revs drop quite low, the engine sounds as though its labouring and it starts to shake as though its unbalanced.

Reset its timing to its happy 20-25 degrees and it will run as it did on the old dizzy @ 12 BTDC.

I am using a non-adjustable timing light and of course it is linked to the #1 spark lead. The only difference is that it is bridged between the dizzy and lead not between the lead and the plug (its a really old style one, doesnt just clip around the lead).

I thought that it may have skipped a tooth but that seems illogical as the car should still run better when readjusted to 12 BTDC.

The reason I changed the spot were i bridged it is because when connected to the spark plug it was arcing out to the block and causing a misfire.

Any helps would be greatly appreciated. I have seen the results of incorrect timing damage engines before (albeit turbo) and I wanna make sure my freshly rebuilt engine isnt in for any expensive rebuilds because of this.

Cheers,

Rhys
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM

Also I should mention that the marks all lined up when the dizzy was installed and it is now currently sitting in a position that would indicate ~10 degrees retarded so it is not sitting massively advanced.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 AM

Updated info:

Ive actually found that when i accelerate even moderately it will ping quite a lot.

Using the timing light i found then when i bring the revs up to about 2500 the timing mark on the balancer goes from being where it should to literally the top of the balancer ... probably more than 40 degrees BTDC - thats not even possible is it???
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
If you've got doubts about your timing light, here in the States you can get one for less than $20USD. I'll bet you can do just as well in Melbourne.

Even though you've checked quite a lot, my suspicion is that you are off one tooth. The distributor gear has 13 teeth, so off one tooth means 28 degrees. Because it is a helical gear it is a very easy mistake to make. Take a picture of the rotor (with the cap off), pull out the distributor and carefully reinstall it. Then compare it to the picture to confirm you've actually moved 28 degrees, rather than just put it back the same way.

And yes, when you accelerate the timing advances quite a lot; at least 20 degrees.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
When you short out the diagnostic plug make sure the check engine light is flashing.
It's easy to think you've shorted it out but actually haven't.

And yes, as Scope103 says - get a new timing light.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM

ok guys thanks a lot for your help.

I will do this today and let you know how I go.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM

Here is a picture of how it sits atm>

Im not sure if you can see them but there are small scratch marks opposite the green section. Thats were i marked it when the mark on the tooth lined up with the one on the dizzy body.

This is at exactly TDC on the ignition stroke.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM

OK i dropped it back a tooth and it would only start with the distributor in full advance position. The timing dropped back to about 5-6 AFTER TDC with diag port bridged and 2-3 AFTER TDC with out bridged.

So i swapped it forward a tooth and its back to about 25 Degrees BTDC. I really dont understand, why would it be running so badly when i dial it back to what should be the correct timing?

Next step is to put the old dizzy back in, it could be that this one is faulty.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM

ok after many hours of trial and error + youtube watching ive managed to get it driveable.

Its down to about 15 BTDC at idle (1000 rpm) now. It drives but once it warmed up it started bucking around all over the place.

That is with the dizzy in fully retarded position though, if i have it anything above that I can hear it pinging under load....
Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think you should try your old distributor.
Why did you change the distributor in the first place?

When the no. 1 cylinder is at TDC on the Compression stroke make sure the rotor lines up with the #1 terminal on the distributor cap.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:21 PM

bad distrbutor

Im having the exact same problem. Move 1 tooth on gear and it's way high 20 to 25°btdc. Move a tooth back and it's retarded to far. I've restabed it abou 6 times so far and just wont work.going back to my old worn out dizzy