Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze code 31 with intermittent CEL

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze code 31 with intermittent CEL

I'm getting a code 31 where the CEL comes on and then off, usually when I'm idling to a stop. Sometimes when I take off and the CEL is in, the truck hesitates and even tries to stall.

I replaced the valve covers 2 weeks ago. I'm currently running auto-rx to clean some of the stuff I saw in the heads. I just recently got my transmission and transfer case flushed. I also broke my TVV valve during the valve job and right now I have a vacuum T plugged into the top of the TVV valve with super-glue holding it in (it kept falling out which caused other problems). I already checked and the super glue did not block off the tube (which is good). I ordered a used TVV valve which I will install the next time the plenum is off (or sooner if that is causing my problem now).

I checked the AFM using this post:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=code+31
I did disconnect the wire harness thing to do the valve cover job and I disconnected it again today and cleaned it out but I didn't see anything obvious.

From what I can tell now I should get a fluke and do resistance checks? Where can I get a good, cheap fluke to use? And how do I get to my ECM?
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by navyredneck
I'm getting a code 31 where the CEL comes on and then off, usually when I'm idling to a stop. Sometimes when I take off and the CEL is in, the truck hesitates and even tries to stall.

I replaced the valve covers 2 weeks ago. I'm currently running auto-rx to clean some of the stuff I saw in the heads. I just recently got my transmission and transfer case flushed. I also broke my TVV valve during the valve job and right now I have a vacuum T plugged into the top of the TVV valve with super-glue holding it in (it kept falling out which caused other problems). I already checked and the super glue did not block off the tube (which is good). I ordered a used TVV valve which I will install the next time the plenum is off (or sooner if that is causing my problem now).

I checked the AFM using this post:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=code+31
I did disconnect the wire harness thing to do the valve cover job and I disconnected it again today and cleaned it out but I didn't see anything obvious.

From what I can tell now I should get a fluke and do resistance checks? Where can I get a good, cheap fluke to use? And how do I get to my ECM?
Thanks for the help.
Greetings!
Before you did your VC covers, did you have this code? If not it was something you discnnted.....! I don't think that it's an AFM issue! Check for anything disconnected, Boy, it almost sounds like a TPS issue! Really!
It really sounds like a TPS issue and/or a Vac. leak somewhere! Listen for the hiss when the old 3.0 is purring! Vac. Leak!! Disc. the Battery for about 15 sec.'s and drive her, if the code doesn't come back! (Great thing!)
I think it's a vac. issue or a TPS!
Take Care!