Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze air conditioner questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3vze air conditioner questions

I'm on a big road trip! It's pretty hot...I've been using the A/C on the 3vze and it's blowing cold. As always though I take a big power hit everytime I switch on the A/C. I was wondering if there is any way to avoid this or if it's just part of the package.

Another A/C question with the 3VZ, is that I notice that when it's on, I have a bit of a rattle (almost sounds like a timing ping, but not exactly a ping) at higher RPMs that I do not have when the A/C is off. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Is it not advised to use the A/C too much on the 3vze, I notice that with the loss of power, I worry that there might be a greater chance of an engine issue, like a H/G failure, is this just superstition on my part, or should I avoid using the A/C too much?

Thanks guys! I would prefer not to use it as I do not like the power loss...but wife is demanding A/C! Thanks again
Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 AM

I do 90% highway driving but do not really notice the power loss during A/C use. I use it all the time because my understanding is that the more you use A/C the better it works. And, I like staying cool in the summer.

I keep it on recirculate and turn it on/off as needed because it is so cold that I either need to turn the A/C off or move the switch a little towards warm.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt the little bit of load from the A/C would make any difference at all to the engine from a HG failure or other where and tear standpoint.
The rattle could be related to the AC clutch, perhaps one of the brackets for the AC or idler pulley is a little loose and you only notice it once the drive belt loads up with the clutch engaged.
Or it might be the evaporator is a little loose and is shifting as it heats and cools.
On the whole I'd just keep the little lady happy and cool.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by taikowaza
I'm on a big road trip! It's pretty hot...I've been using the A/C on the 3vze and it's blowing cold. As always though I take a big power hit everytime I switch on the A/C. I was wondering if there is any way to avoid this or if it's just part of the package.

Another A/C question with the 3VZ, is that I notice that when it's on, I have a bit of a rattle (almost sounds like a timing ping, but not exactly a ping) at higher RPMs that I do not have when the A/C is off. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Is it not advised to use the A/C too much on the 3vze, I notice that with the loss of power, I worry that there might be a greater chance of an engine issue, like a H/G failure, is this just superstition on my part, or should I avoid using the A/C too much?

Thanks guys! I would prefer not to use it as I do not like the power loss...but wife is demanding A/C! Thanks again
I get the same thing with the A/C on, a little rattle like my dash is loose (but its not) and I can definitely tell the difference in power with it off.

I've heard an electric fan helps with the power but I havent installed one yet.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:07 PM

4 Runner has an elec fan.It may not work.The noise is probly the compressor itself.High head pressure = more noise.If it blows cold then dont mess with it!
Bigblock

Last edited by aviator; 08-04-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bigblock
4 Runner has an elec fan.It may not work.The noise is probly the compressor itself.High head pressure = more noise.If it blows cold then dont mess with it!
Bigblock
my 4runner has a belt driven fan.

Last edited by aviator; 08-04-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:07 PM

can you remove the a/c unit or just eliminate the belt if you dont use it at all?
Old 01-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mauimud
can you remove the a/c unit or just eliminate the belt if you dont use it at all?
As long as you don't switch it on the clutch on the compressor does not engage so the extra load caused by the belt/pulley is minimal at best and depending on your year/set-up some times the defroster uses the A/C system to dry the air a bit to help the defrost process.

Removing the unit completely would save you some weight but would reduce the overall value of the truck and make it harder to sell when the time comes.
Don't forget you also need to take the truck to a professional to have the refrigerant removed from the system before you attempt to remove it should you decide to do so.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 PM

You won't feel the power loss on a more powerful V6 or V8, but on a 4 banger or the 3VZE you can feel the clutch engage. I find it to be pretty minimal though. If you are towing something or climbing a hill then it's more noticeable. I also find my MPG to go down about 1 MPG when using the A/C in the sumer time. On the freeway I cannot feel any power loss when using the A/C though (unless climbing a hill)

So, I would say that the minimal power loss is 100% normal & you are not going to get rid of it.