Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

32/36 Weber Man. choke or 38 Weber Man.choke for a 22R?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 32/36 Weber Man. choke or 38 Weber Man.choke for a 22R?

I have a 87 4x4 SR5 that iam building a new motor for. Brand new long block 22,with performance Cams and few other things. Iam wanting the best carb/intake setup without having a Nascar or having to stay on top of it all the time adjusting and setting stuff. Iam really leaning towards a 38dgv man. choke Weber with the Offenhauser intake,BUT...2 questions really,32/36 or 38 and single plane or dual plane intake? thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 AM

Probably could help us more if you say what the "few other things" are that you're gonna do to the engine. If you're talking about basically just cam and an Offenhauser, you probably wouldn't get very much more out of the 38 than the 32/36. If you're thinking headers, higher compression pistons, porting/polishing/oversized valves in the head, and more...the 38 is gonna be the way to go. I'm pretty sure either way you're going to want to get a jet kit and you'll have to tune it from the original jets and adjustments the Weber will come with.

Now, the dual plane/single plane depends on which carb you go with. 32/36 doesn't open both the barrels at once unless you modify it, so you shouldn't run a dual plane with it, but you can with the 38, as the barrels open synchronously and you'll get more even fuel mixture distribution from each barrel than you would even if you modify the 32/36 to be synchronous.

Let us know if that helps any, and give us more details, we may be able to help better.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM

thanks for the info, the few other things are..gonna be some headers,which iam still looking at. give ya a better idea of what iam doing,- New SBI valves (USA)

- New SBI valve springs and keepers

- New NPR pistons (JAPAN)

- New NPR RINGS (JAPAN )

- New S A gear timing gears and chain(USA)

- New ITM oil pump

- New ITM OR EVERGREEN GASKET SET

- Cylinder heads are Rebuilt

- Three angle cut valve seats

- All heads are cnc surfaced

- Blocks are bored, cylinder walls are honed

- Crankshafts are ground and polished

- Comp Cam($250)
- Connecting rods are resized to O.E.M. specifications
thats the block i jus bought
now i have to put on the intake,carb,headers...i have factory headers from the motor i jus took out(22RE) but i figure everything else new,i want it all new,i want the this yoda to be brand new.

i want the power and performance,with out spending over 6k
i got the block the cheap,with the cam it and shipping it was 1575.00
every man has a vehicle,truck 68 camero old harley that they rebuild and treat better than the wife lol..well this is my baby,iam rebuilding her brand new,and like dat ol chevy,i want it to have a lil meaness to it...give the mud hell kno what i mean lol
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM

Well, were it me, I'd get a 38 with the dual plane manifold then.
My reasoning: the 38 will provide a lil more air/fuel mix than even the modified synchronous 32/36, and being that it's already synchronous you'll get better throttle response from idle. The dual plane manifold will help to keep intake velocity higher than the single plane would, providing better low to mid rpm torque, hopefully not sacrificing high end power.

I've run the 32/36 in progressive and synchronous form, and I can tell you the main difference was in part throttle and off idle response, so if you do get the 32/36, definitely get it modified to be synchronous so you can keep enough power to clean out the tires, since your location says Louisiana and you said mud.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 AM

Weber 38 Carb & Intake Performance Package - 22R
Includes: Weber 38 Carb, Intake Manifold and Billet Air Cleaner w/K&N Filter

with a few other things,teflon gaskets,new thermostat w/housing
new oil pan,new water pump...all i need now is a good set of headers..any ideas on some headers? i found these here Street Header Kit 4wd Direct-Fit 22R/RE 1985-1995 for 399.
LCE performance shop is who ive been dealing with on all this

and thankyou for taking the time to respond,its been very helpful and very appreaciated
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Well, for headers you will have to wait for someone else's advice. I don't even know what brand was on my '83 I recently sold, and I got it for free and it looked like crap. What I can say is I'd stay away from Pacesetter. Had one on an '87 Pathfinder and I had to mod it to make it fit and extend the O2 sensor wires. Not worth the trouble as new stuff should fit and not rub.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM

thanks for all the help fella,you have a good one
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
32/36 Electric choke if you must have something other than stock. I'd just use the trans-dapt adapter and the stock intake though, the offy intake is big $$$ for minimal gains (same goes for the majority of bolt on R series parts) on a stock internal engine.

LCE's header is or at least used to be the best on the market, but again, huge money. They are the least likely to leak since the flange is crazy thick.

I don't mean to rain on your parade by any means but there's a reason you don't see super built 22R's around... Had a good family friend go through it, his truck has an RE with a big cam, big valves in a ported head, LCE header etc... basically anything you'd bolt onto the outside, and really, it wasn't a whole lot faster than the 85 I had with just a 2 1/4 exhaust, a 32/36 progressive and a crawler cam when we put them side by side. He could have spent the same money he spent on that engine and swapped a 3RZ in and made more power and gotten better mileage to boot.

Last edited by TrikeKid; 12-13-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 AM

thanks TrikeKid for the intel
Its a brand new block with a few extras added to it,comp cams pistons rings etc..
it is a little pricey,ummm weber 38 w/ dual plane intake,all the linkage with teflon gaskets
and something else,that was 750,the headers kit is 399 so about 450 or so after shipping,ive got 3100 tied up in the motor so far. but thats brand new everything,Hoses dist. spark plugs wires,everything minus radiator.
this truck,is gonna be that chevy grandpa been keeping in the shop for 30yrs
iam almost done minus a few things(repaint bed)lil cosmetic stuff.
iam doing a complete restore on it.
i figure,if iam ever gonna do a complete restore on something,do it on something that will last,like a Toyoda Truck,best trucks ever made....with a lil pep lol
The following users liked this post:
ArcticTaco (09-16-2022)