a 302 in my runner???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alot of stuff seems stupid to the stupid
Old 06-13-2007, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by the_gunslinger
carbs are easy to tune, make more power, and are a right of passage into owning a cool car
Not true on all accounts! Sorry!

EFI is easier to tune. EFI makes more power unless you are running Alcohol and running wide open all the time anyway. Right of passage? Yeah, if you are 60!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:03 AM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Man4God
Ok, I am a Ford guy through and through. I bleed Ford Blue. If it were my rig, I would definately go with the 302 EFI out of a 5.0 Mustang. There are tons of motors out there. I would look for an 87 (California Model) through 92 5.0 HO motor. They have the MAF sensor which was a huge improvement over the earlier Speed Density EFI systems and those year motors were forged from the factory. Crank, rods and pistons. You could easily slap a 250 shot on those 302s and it would last 40K before poping a head gasket.

Bone stock, they put out anywhere from 225-240 HP and a rock solid 300 ft/lb of torque. I very much doubt ANYONE would need more than that for a trail rig. And, if it is daily driver, definately gear it down. The 302 is just like the 3.4 where the lower the cruising RPMs, the better the fuel economy. And with all the torque on demand at a low RPM, there is no reason NOT to be running taller gears.

I would stay away from the 302 truck motors mainly because they don't have the power of the EFI 302 out of the Mustangs. But definately stay with EFI and put an electric fan on the radiator.

I don't know jack about the swap but I would imagine that it wouldn't be horrible. If I were to do anything else, it would be an LS1 swap. But then you are playing with a lot of power and, in my opinion, GM reliability. The LS series of motors are known to bend pushrods if over revved or a gear is missed. If you stay with a Slush Box, then that probably won't be a problem.

Just my $.02.
this is exactly the info i was looking for
thanx a bunch

but i do have a couple questions
the reason i was considering carb over efi is that their a lot of wires on efi, and a carb would be simpler to hook up
so do you think their is enough difference in power and reliability that i should get an EFI

aslo could i hook up ehier of the two to my dash and make my guages work, or will i need after market gauges

thanx again
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 AM

Northwest offroad makes quite a few parts for v8 swaps. I had not seen it mentioned yet in this thread but if it had been i apologize. Check em out.

http://northwestoffroad.com/parts/engineadapters.html

-Matt
Old 06-13-2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by SR5
this is exactly the info i was looking for
thanx a bunch

but i do have a couple questions
the reason i was considering carb over efi is that their a lot of wires on efi, and a carb would be simpler to hook up
so do you think their is enough difference in power and reliability that i should get an EFI

aslo could i hook up ehier of the two to my dash and make my guages work, or will i need after market gauges

thanx again
No problem. I know there are a lot of wires for EFI but again, basically you need to just control the engine and I am sure there are harnesses out there for this application. EFI is WAY better for cold starting and they never flood out. Fuel economy is going to be better too for EFI. Tuning will be easier too. You can just take it to any Mustang tuner and they hook it up to the PCM and their computer and bam. Instant dyno tune. Ultimately the choice is up to you. I have always been a fan of EFI though so that is what my bias is. I have nothing against Carbs and I am sure it would run fine with an Edelbrock on there and one of their RPM manifolds.

Odds are you are just going to have to play with the harnesses to make the gauges work. I would imagine you want the Toyota harness for everything but the motor.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:31 AM
SR5

^^they have a lot of info and kits that help out BIG time
thanx matt
Old 06-13-2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
How do you suppose he mates his transfercase to a mustang tranny?

The v6 tranny is plenty strong. Make it work.
the v6 drivetrain has been known to hold up with v8's... if you are not thrashing on it all the time..
Didn't know he had a 4wd, my bad. I would absolutely advise against EFI. EFI is great once you get it setup, but it's a nightmare to wire/tune unless you're pulling the engine straight from a running donor car. What's so hard about tuning a carb? Two screws...it's pretty easy
The original post seems a bit naive ("how hard will this be?", kinda like "if you have to ask, then you shouldn't be doing it."
Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 PM

here is another thread about this

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=302
Old 06-13-2007, 12:38 PM

You've got two options, the cheap and the expensive.
The cheap is a carbed engine,Easier to install(less wires),easier to setup.
The problem is when you get it together and your out their flexing the beast out and it stalls,because it's carbed you'll be pissed you have a carbes SBF instead of EFI and spend a lot of money to do it right.\
The expensive way is EFI,you'll be getting all the agrivation up front(wiring(painless wiring might be able to help) but you'll have less problems on the trail,in my opinion you'll enjoy the EFI in the long run. Gas Mileage,no Bogging/stalling.
On the negative an EFI system cannot run without a batter in an emergency situation,where as a carbed machine will, Hope this helps.
+ 1 for EFI!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:38 PM

if your all about that "theres no replacement for displacement" id go with a chevy 350. The swap is more common i see trucks with that engine all over town here, im sure there are resources available for it online. The 302 will kill the 5VZ-FE in torque but if your looking for topend power and torque i would go bigger, or go with the 5vz and supercharge it.

As for my argument for carbed or EFI, carbed is cheaper and easier to get power out of, but it sucks at angles, EFI is more expensive and difficult but its better at angles but ALSO if you dont seal everything propperly and put it somewhere safe you can really ☺☺☺☺ up an EFI vehicle by getting into some real mud.

Last edited by apalmer1; 06-13-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 PM
SR5

ok out of the two (carb or not carb) which is more RELIABLE
Old 06-13-2007, 07:16 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EFI is, carb will need to be cleaned, possibly rebuilt later and adjusted.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
But you can rebuild a carb way cheaper than replacing one injector, temp sensor, AFM etc.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
EFI is just that much better.
EFI is much more reliable..

but hey.. if you want to drive your car in the same weather and same altitude then hey, carb is best for you

Last edited by Jay351; 06-13-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:30 PM
SR5

so how much do you guys think doing a swap like this will cost me?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Engine cost + swap kit (if avail) + plus random items you will need..
Probibly a few g's
Sorry I have no idea, so many variables
Old 06-13-2007, 08:03 PM

how is efi more reliable? something goes wrong on the trail, tow truck is gonna charge extra to come find you. carb can be rebuilt on a tailgate and a full kit is <$100. that toyota nonsense is getting to ya'll.

but, a good point was made about rock climbing (if you get into some serious angles, a carbs not gonna work too well (but 700 lbs of iron won't exactly help the situation) you can tune for altitude; weather doesn't affect anything.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Whens the last time your EFI crapped out and caused you to get a tow home?

Me never
Parents never
Anyone I know never..

I prefer efi, carbs are junk In My Opinion..
Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by SR5
so how much do you guys think doing a swap like this will cost me?
There is no answer for this question. Overestimate everything, then multiply by 3. This will give you a ballpark figure. Be prepared to replace everything twice! For real, I'd do some thorough investigating before undertaking a big-ass project like this. And a carb is just as reliable as EFI, if not moreso. All you need is a carb kit in the trunk; with EFI, you have about 10 sensors that are $$$ and could die anytime, plus they're a bitch to troubleshoot. IMO
Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to talk to toyotadad, haven't seen him post in a while, but he did a 350 swap. As for EFI, the fuel pump is most likely to crap out on you and leave you stranded. Happened to me twice, first time was way back in my 280z dayz.

Quick Reply: a 302 in my runner???