Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.4 swap price

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.4 swap price

sup guys
i got a 93 4runner with a 3.0 and im sick and tired of having to floor it up hills on the interstate to hold 70mph and all that good stuff
my 3.0 has about 300,000 miles on it but it still runs pretty strong but i was just curious how much money it would take to drop a 3.4 in the runner i couldn't install it myself. i know there isn't a solid price you could give me but i just want an answer somewhere int the ball park. Also if anybody has any reason not to do this please share i would like to know the pros and cons do doing this. thanks guys
Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5000-6000 ballpark but thats installed and everything done by a professional. its a lot cheaper then buying a new truck but some of the 3rd gens are starting to creep down to around this price.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ like all mods pretty much are and if you can do it I would not recomend it but If your rich then I guess it doesnt really matter
Old 01-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

It is VERY cost prohibitive to have someone else do this job (and expensive enough to DIY, in most cases). If you have ever done a clutch job, then you could probably do the conversion yourself, with a little help, a cherry picker, and an engine stand.

Read up on the various 3.4 conversion threads in the Engine Swap section, and read the whole description at http://www.offroadsolutions.com, and you'll get a better idea what the project entails.

If you do decide to do it, you will not regret what it does for your Runner! It's a great and reasonably simple upgrade for our trucks and Runners!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I 2nd or 3rd the idea that the 3.4 swap is most cost effective done yourself.

If you go with the ORS wiring harness the swap literally is plug and play. Motor mounts and bell housing is the same as the 3.0.

A rough guess would be $4000 to $5000 depending on how much you find a 3.4 for and assuming you will go with the ORS harness.

I was able to sell my 3.0 and some related parts, did my own wiring and came in well under $2000 out of pocket. That was with headers and new timing belt, plugs and wires.

If you love your vehicle, but just hate the lack of HP, the 3.4 is the way to go. It's like getting a new truck that comparatively just flies down the road.

Last edited by Elvota; 02-05-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:44 PM

Contrats on 300K on the 3.0 a rare achievement.

Face it, its tired. A 29" diameter tire would work wonders if you need tires.

I would have a shop rebuild the 3.0 using ARP head studs and set the valves delivering to you a long block. Minor mods to the intake side, junking the crossover pipe in the exhaust, running a separate pipe down the passenger side then crossover to CAT will work wonders with a 2 1/2 back and a Magnaflow muffler. This will be less than half the cost of a engine swap. 0.4 cubic inches more with the 3.4 isn't much. However, you will never get the high rev results with the 3.0 that you will get with the 24 valve 3.4. But, what you do need is torque. And, if your tires are larger than 30", get rid of them if you want good road power.

Your call down there in the low country.....
Old 01-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Just to clarify - the 3.4L not only breathes easier because of the 24 valve heads, but the added .4 litres is about 24 cubic inches bigger than the 3.0L. That's roughly 207c.i. versus 183c.i.

It makes for a significant difference - ask any of us that have done the conversion.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 98sr5tacoma
5000-6000 ballpark but thats installed and everything done by a professional. its a lot cheaper then buying a new truck but some of the 3rd gens are starting to creep down to around this price.

ARe you sure about that? A company called Offroad solutions, which SPECIALIZES in 3.4 swaps - they build kits as you already know that many have bought to make this swap easier, SPEC's that their shop will take 50 hours labour at shop rate to do a 3.4 swap. So how long would it take someone who has never done one before?

Plus finding a decent donor engine, PLUS all the little parts that will nickel and dime you to high heaven that lots of people conveniently forget to mention when trying to justify this swap utilizing cost.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Plus finding a decent donor engine, PLUS all the little parts that will nickel and dime you to high heaven that lots of people conveniently forget to mention when trying to justify this swap utilizing cost.
It only costs a lot until your drive the 3.4 up the first mountain pass. Then you wonder what stopped you from doing it sooner.

Will you ever see money back from your investment... no way.
Will you ever miss your 3.0... laughable.

How's that Mastercard commercial go...
Used 3.4 motor from a wrecked Tacoma, $1200.
Miscellaneous tools and fittings, $750.
Ability to finally drive in the fast lane with a smile on your face... priceless.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
see what i am afraid of is if i buy a 3.4 that has around 100,000 on it, drive it for another 100,000 and have it mess up on me.

i want a new engine. how much would that cost? can i even get a new engine.

i would have to look for a year before i find a suitable 3.4 with serious low mileage...

see, this summer i am saving up the money to get this done as well. im hoping to get 5,000 for everything. i calculated all my work and stuff for the summer, and thats what i will make.

but i think ill drive my 3.0 to hell before i swap it.

ps if someone would wanna come down here and do it for me for cheap, i could give them all the pizza they could eat, plus probably afford a hotel.

Last edited by infiltrator; 01-30-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by infiltrator
see what i am afraid of is if i buy a 3.4 that has around 100,000 on it, drive it for another 100,000 and have it mess up on me.
So... how many miles are left on your 3.0?

Either engine could last 200,000 miles or more.

You only have to ask yourself how long you wanna take to get that extra 100,000.

I don't know what a new 3.4 would cost, but you'd be better off just rebuilding a 3.4 when it needs it, or right of the bat if you have concerns.

All the pizza I can eat huh... I'll have to think about that offer. If I set it up right, I might be able to just travel the country installing 3.4's.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

i want a new engine. how much would that cost? can i even get a new engine.

i would have to look for a year before i find a suitable 3.4 with serious low mileage...

see, this summer i am saving up the money to get this done as well. im hoping to get 5,000 for everything. i calculated all my work and stuff for the summer, and thats what i will make.

but i think ill drive my 3.0 to hell before i swap it.

ps if someone would wanna come down here and do it for me for cheap, i could give them all the pizza they could eat, plus probably afford a hotel.
Sure you could buy it "new". got bottomless pockets?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
All the pizza I can eat huh... I'll have to think about that offer. If I set it up right, I might be able to just travel the country installing 3.4's.
yep! bring tools! haha! we got a hilton down the road. 4 star! or you got the holiday inn next to denny's haha.

yep, im the manager at a pizza place. anything you want bud

haha i wish i had bottomless pockets. too bad im a poor bro.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 PM

well phoenix isnt too far, i could drive to you and find somewhere to stay and i could be a help if you need an extra hand!!!

GO STEVE NASH!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ignore CoedNaked. He is so anti-swap, pro-3.0 that it isn't funny some days.

As for the swap, let me be absolutely clear: you will probably never recoup your expenses doing the swap yourself. You will NEVER recoup your expenses if you have someone else do it for you. You'd be better of buying a good, used 3rd gen.

That said, if you want to tackle it yourself and learn a fair bit about your truck and about wrenching, then it's a good way to go. I did my swap in 11 days, mostly by myself but with some assistance from my brother, on the mechanical end. My brother's neighbour did the wiring for me for the cost of the engine stand that I bought for the swap ($40). Knowing what I know now, I could probably do the swap in a week. I did it over my holidays.

In terms of out of pocket costs, it was $2000 for the complete engine (MAF sensor, computer, A/C compressor, PS pump, fan, alternator, etc), $200 for the crossover plus $800 for a whole new exhaust system, including high flow cat, muffler, and O2 sensors, and approximately another $500 for the little pieces to finish it off. The wiring is the hardest part, but with automotive wiring experience and good shop manuals, it really isn't that hard. Or you could go with the ORS harness, but that adds cost and I'm super cheap.

I will never make those costs back and I accept that. But I know more about my truck now than ever before. It was a valuable learning experience. And frustrating as hell at times.

And it's one of the quickest 4Runners in my city! Next up, TRD supercharger!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 PM

because honestly, that would finish up the truck

by summer i will get ....
my sag lifted with new shocks.
brakes fixed.
stereo finalized.

theres nothing more i want to do to her. i could finally rest knowing i have the ride i have always imagined....

unlesss... supeerrrcharger.. hmm hahahaha. ahhhhh! IT WILL NEVER END!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trust me, when you drive a 3.4 swapped truck, you won't go back. I'm turning 33" tires and able to climb hills on the highway through the Rockies without having to downshift (and maintain speed) or downshift to accelerate up a hill. That's right, I can accelerate UP A HILL!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:09 PM

yeah i can only imagine what it would feel like to have a 3.4 in the runner but with prices like that and my lack of knowlege to install it myself ill just have to hold off on it for a while but hopefully it will come somewhere down the road haha
thanks for all the input guys
Old 02-01-2008, 03:34 PM

robert, for future reference, but some of your ride info in your signature so if you ever have a problem none of us have so say "so what do you drive?" and you can update it with some mods you got. for now with the 3.0 search for the ISR mod, as well as fixing your saggy butt if it hasnt been fixed already. that and give it good oil, filters, plugs, and other fluids and it will last you for a lonnngg time.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:07 PM

robert, for future reference, but some of your ride info in your signature so if you ever have a problem none of us have so say "so what do you drive?" and you can update it with some mods you got. for now with the 3.0 search for the ISR mod, as well as fixing your saggy butt if it hasnt been fixed already. that and give it good oil, filters, plugs, and other fluids and it will last you for a lonnngg time.
yeah ive been meaning to update it and yes i am a proud owner of a non saggy butted runner
and ill look into the isr mod thanks

Quick Reply: 3.4 swap price