Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 rebuild

hey guys so as u may know i posted my truck for sale but im gonna scratch that, ill be flyin home next month for the weekend to hopefully fix it. im tryin to gather the parts i will need before hand so i can ship everything there ahead of time and since most places will most likely be closed, so heres where im at; i found a rebuild kit on ebay that seems to have everything i need. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...Q5fAccessories , but im tryin to think of everything else im gonna need like anti-freeze, oil, filter, spark plugs and random other stuff so if you guys have any input of what else i should pick up i would really appriciate it. oh yea the ebay company offeres oversize pistons but is there any way to know if i will need them before hand? the truck was nearly ran with no oil (low oil pressure) the motor did start and run so its not seized. its in a 1990 4runner auto v6. does anyone know the price of the engine gasket kit from the dealer? thanks for your help, my yota never gave up on me so i dont wanna give up on it! Erik
Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow, Grumpy's is online now!? I live right down the street from his shop. My brother used to work for him. I know him and most of his family real well. My sister's been practically engaged to his nephew for the last 5+ years.

Anywho, some special tools you're going to need are:

A cylinder bore gauge to measure the cylinders for the correct size pistons/rings and to check for cylinder bore distortion(out-of-round/taper). Which can also be used to check the connecting rod big ends for correct bearing size too.

A micrometer or 2 to check the crankshaft journals, and various other parts like the camshafts/lifters/valve stems and valve clearance adjustment shims if necessary.

A valve spring compressor if any of the valves need attention/removed. I highly recommend removing them all and atleast lapping them. If not opting for the full valve/seat regrind.

A piston ring compressor to re-install the pistons.

If you'll be doing the honing then you're gonna need a good cylinder hone. I recommend one with replacable stones like this one.

And a good set of feeler gauges.

I pieced together a full rebuild kit for my 3VZE rebuild from several different sites online. I bought a piston/ring/wrist pin kit off a site on ebay(ITM pistons and pins, NPR rings). A complete upper engine gasket kit(all generics)off another ebay site(had all the needed gaskets/seals except wrong type head gaskets). And a good set of quality head gaskets(D&J Rock), exhaust valves(ITM), and all the lower engine bearings(ITM)from PartsDinosaur.com. I was trying to save as much money as possible. Worked out pretty cheap that way too, and I have no gripes about the quality of the parts I recieved(minus the upside-down head gaskets in the cheapo gasket kit, see my thread on that for more info).

The biggest issue I encountered during my rebuild was installing the new wrist pins to the pistons/connecting rods. They're press fit. And there's no easy way to do it without a press and/or special tools. You might want to take them to a machine shop and have them do it for you. I was able to make my own tool for the job. But even then it wasn't easy, nor something I'd recommend trying to a novice. The process I used involved application of heat to the rods(boiling water), and freezing the pins(dry ice)to get them semi-installed initially. And then final adjustments to properly center the pins were done with my home-made wrist pin puller tool. Which worked better for removing the old wrist pins than for installing the new ones. But I managed to get it done on my own regardless. So...once again, I pretty much kicked it's ass. Nothing new...

OEM engine overhaul gasket kit for 1990 3VZE.
GASKET KIT, ENGINE OVERHAUL [Part# 04111-65018] $295.92
1stToyotaParts.com

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-12-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:39 AM

water pump, like he said a good set of head gaskets, thermostat, i would get some extra vaccum lines just in case mine were really brital and broke some when they came off good luck
Old 10-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Some Lock-tite, different strengths....

Stud remover......

Plenty of engine cleaner.....

Plenty of penetrating oil/catalyst.....

Toyota FIPK for CAM Cover Caps/Oil Pan......

Straps of some kind to hold up trans if you're leaving it in.....

Call ahead to Witchhunter or someone so you'll have the packaging to get them to them...(if you're planning on doing her up proper).....

Seal pullers/installer kit..(rented mine at AutoZone)

I'm sure people will think of more... BEST WISHES ON THE PROJECT!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While your at it 5 Speed Swap! I recommend NGK G power Plugs and Wires..for when you put new plugs in at the end. I use them and So does my buddy Derek in his 94 3VZE Yota Pickup 4WD 5 speed. weve never had problems with them. Agreed Chef. Get your Fuel Injectors cleaned. I used to buy Injector cleaner but I dnt think it really works that well..Seems like a rip off..or does it work?

- And Remember Lots of Pictures hhaha!

- Keep us Posted

Last edited by JDS1992; 10-15-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:09 PM

many good ideas guys thanks a bunch. i hope and pray its not as bad as i think but i dont really care if the thing just makes it back up to lebanon so i can do a 3.4 swap! Mud is grumpys a straight shooter? the only reason why i ask is because i was just lookin to see where they were located and it came up with a bunch of reviews too that werent the best. me i go on my own experience people have off days and when ur dealin with cars and (harley davidsons) they can be quite picky. but i just would like to know if they make a good product? yes PICTURES and TAPE will be my friend for sure! how bout this anyone in the I-5 corridor have a decent runnin 3vze for sale ? i went to the local pic a part and wrechin yards and they wanted like $1200 bucks for one! crazy people man, thanks guys/gals