86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 died and wont start, stranded at work

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 died and wont start, stranded at work

On my way into work this morning, about 2 blocks from the office the 4Runner (95 4WD 3.0) just dies in the middle of the road. I was traveling 30-40 mph on a straight away, early in the morning, lost power, then it turned off. Tried getting it into a parking space near by, didnt make it and had a guy from work tow me up into a space.
I have kept great maintenance on this vehicle thaks to Yotatech, and I cant figure out what it could be. So now Im stranded at work with my Runner parked 2 blocks away. If I turn the key, it cranks over strong, but the engine just doesnt seem to want start. It just keeps turning over and turning over. All the belts are on and tight, and thats as far as i have gotten with it. Anyone have any insight to a starting point on the troubleshooting for this one?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know if you have spark?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:46 AM

Dont know yet, I hope it is either a fuel sending problem, or a spark problem. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:55 AM

to check the fuel sending...pop the top off of your stock airbox, with the key in the on position, push open the flapper on your AFM and you should hear the fuel pump turning on, if it is working properly
Old 09-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Definatly start with the basics. Fuel should be the easiest to check, then check for spark. If you have one of those spark testers, good, if not i always stuck a screwdriver in the boot off the plug and held it close to grounded metal, make sure its going to conduct should be a nice big fat spark, a weak one can indicate problems, or you will start T/S spark and it was just cause it wouldnt arch to there. course the fail all is to just hold the screwdriver in your hand, but that really hurts, as well as the bruise from slamming your arm into the hood.

did you check you fuses and such?

Not sure about the 95, pretty sure it isnt the same as my 83, but i had the distributor go out 100yrds from the Bay bridge toll plaza, in rush hour traffic, by myself. Had gas, no spark, poped the cap off to t/s and rotor no spin. locked up and the cam chewed the gear off shaft.

hopefully it will be something simple.
good luck
Old 09-24-2006, 08:52 AM

This is a great start guys, 1 step is to tow it to my Dad's barn and start the trouble shooting process. I appreciate the pointers, especially on a Sunday afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 AM

Ok, after a weekend of troubleshooting:
Fuel Sending is OK
NO SPARK TO DISTRIBUTOR!!!
So, I start troubleshooting the distributor, tear into it and dont see anything apperently wrong!!!. I decide to "turn over" the engine so I can see if everything is turning properly......turn the key and NOTHING MOVES!!!
SO, now Im convinced the timing belt has either busted ro fallen off track. But how, i just replaced it (myself) about 2 years ago!!!, could it be the tensioner? or other pulley? Man! I see alot of work ahead of me!
Can anyone add to this?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2006, 11:28 AM

Scary, the 3VZE is an interference engine which means that the pistons will hit the valves if it's out of time.

You may have a lot of damage from that broken belt.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
Scary, the 3VZE is an interference engine which means that the pistons will hit the valves if it's out of time.

You may have a lot of damage from that broken belt.

Incorrect. 3vze is a non interference engine. Trust me, I lost my belt, fixed it, and she's running great.

Maybe you are thinking of the 22r...?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by reggie 00
Definatly start with the basics. Fuel should be the easiest to check, then check for spark. If you have one of those spark testers, good, if not i always stuck a screwdriver in the boot off the plug and held it close to grounded metal, make sure its going to conduct should be a nice big fat spark, a weak one can indicate problems, or you will start T/S spark and it was just cause it wouldnt arch to there. course the fail all is to just hold the screwdriver in your hand, but that really hurts, as well as the bruise from slamming your arm into the hood.

did you check you fuses and such?

Not sure about the 95, pretty sure it isnt the same as my 83, but i had the distributor go out 100yrds from the Bay bridge toll plaza, in rush hour traffic, by myself. Had gas, no spark, poped the cap off to t/s and rotor no spin. locked up and the cam chewed the gear off shaft.

hopefully it will be something simple.
good luck

I just re-read your post "carefully" so was you engine pretty much toast after that? (At least your head on that side right?) I hope and pray that did not happen to me. I guess I'll find out soon.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:48 PM

pull the distributor and confirm that the gear on the end hasn't sheared the pin.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine died driving around the block and it turned out to be the ignition system fuse on the drivers side kick panel. Make sure you pull the fuse all the way out and check it good. I hope it's that simple for you.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:19 PM

I had a similar problem with my 3.0. It ended up being the distributor wire so I had to replace the distributor. It wouldn't turn over but would try to.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:00 AM

Well it turned out the tensioner gave way, impacted the two pulleys in the timing belt cover, need new tensioner, pulleys, timing belt, and while I'm at it new accessory belts. Prahlee gonna run me a good few hundred dollars to get running again. Oh well, she's worth it. Dealer quoted me 800 and change for the repair, I'm contemplating if I want them to do the work or not. Thanks for all of your inputs and help guys
Old 02-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Tell the dealer if they do the head gaskets while they're at it you will pay them the $800

Rob
Old 02-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

How many miles do you have on it? I just changed out all that stuff when I did my timing belt. It was a pain but after reading this I'm glad I did. Hope you get her going soon.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:54 PM

111K and its running again!!, It had been sitting around for a good 3 months so it initally didnt run well. After a hit of seafoam and a bit of octane boost, it started to run better. My wife drove it to work last night and did some highway speed driving with it. She did a little cruizing at 70mph with it. She said it ran great on the way in. On the way home she called and said she was having trouble getting over 55. Anyone have any advise, comments, recommendations? Thank you in advance.