86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tire time - real world experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire time - real world experiences

I'll be replacing my Dunlops in the near future and I'm and I'm looking for a good all terrain tire/highway. No mudding for me thankyou.

Snow and ice will be handled by a dedicated set of winter tires so these just have to be quiet, capable on light trails (aggressive) and possess good wear characteristics.

I'm looking for some real world opinions on the off-road capabilities for a daily driver.

The three choices I'm pondering:

-The Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
-The Firestone Destination A/T
-The Bridgestone Dueler Revo

The Goodyears I can get at wholesale through a friend. But are an unknown here.

My searches so far come up with Dueler being the most popular. Haven't heard much on the Firestone or the Goodyear.

Thx S6
Old 02-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
revo's for sure from what i heard there awesome
Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4th option would be B.F.Goodrich KOs very nice tire last forever and handle most any kind of weather but mud not so good they will run down the road pretty quiteily and look pretty nice as well.just my .02 Oh yea i do run them and love them great all around tire that will last forever.

Last edited by olharleyman; 02-24-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
4th option would be B.F.Goodrich KOs very nice tire last forever and handle most any kind of weather but mud not so good
i had them on my first truck there where about shot but just keep it to the floor and watch the mud fly they did great at the mud bog i went to

Last edited by Elton; 02-24-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 AM

I have some Dayton timberline L/T's they are terrible, very little snow and they plow and spin. If i were you i would go with goodyear wranglers or BFG A/T's. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i sell all of them and have had the best luck with the BFG a/t's
Old 02-24-2007, 12:52 PM

if you are gonna spend the money on goodyear's or revo's, you may as well get the bfg a/t.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BFG a\ts are a good tire but arent so great in the rain.

I have kuhmo road venture AT KL78s and i love them. Ive had them for about 2k miles and they have been great. they are a little noisy but nothing the stereo cant fix. Ive barely even used 4WD this winter. Also, they have been awesome in the rain and any other weather i have put them through. They have great road manners and make the truck handle great.

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/tiresubc...rentId=2&id=12
Old 02-24-2007, 01:25 PM

I love tire question threads. You get so many answers. Revos are a good tire, many many people swear by them and i dont think you would be dissapointed. The silent armors from what i hear are a heavier tire than most due to the whole extra kevlar, even the tire dealer said it can be noticeable. I had bfg k/o's and they were a good tire, although like mentioned on the highway with rain could get sketchy sometimes. I also thought that they did not clear snow very well and got packed up quickly with wet snow.
To flog the ones i have now...I really like my Toyo Open Country A/t's
Old 02-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
I love tire question threads. You get so many answers. Revos are a good tire, many many people swear by them and i dont think you would be dissapointed. The silent armors from what i hear are a heavier tire than most due to the whole extra kevlar, even the tire dealer said it can be noticeable. I had bfg k/o's and they were a good tire, although like mentioned on the highway with rain could get sketchy sometimes. I also thought that they did not clear snow very well and got packed up quickly with wet snow.
To flog the ones i have now...I really like my Toyo Open Country A/t's
I did notice the Wranglers had the extreme snow and ice symbol on them. The are basically a winter tire with a longer wearing compound put into them with a kevlar band. Is that noticable in a good way or bad way?

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
BFG a\ts are a good tire but arent so great in the rain.

I have kuhmo road venture AT KL78s and i love them. Ive had them for about 2k miles and they have been great. they are a little noisy but nothing the stereo cant fix. Ive barely even used 4WD this winter. Also, they have been awesome in the rain and any other weather i have put them through. They have great road manners and make the truck handle great.
I heard that about the Kuhmos today too. Softer tread pattern. May wear a little faster.

I thought about the BFG's and they definitely have the "look" but are about 30 bucks more a tire than everyone else.

The next most aggressive in my opinion is the revo. After spending the day driving around and comparing, I'm going to have to decide on either the revo or the wrangler.

Good news if I act this week I can get last years stock which is now discounted 40 bucks + per tire on the revos. Stock sizes only. That isn't bad.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

S6

Last edited by Super6; 02-24-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Id say go for the revo's then. What i meant from the noticeing is the weight of the tire. But ya,,the revos' ..too many people love these tires for you not to get them.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:17 PM

either revos or bfg k/o's for sure
Old 02-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Update,

I've been considering going with the Destination A/T's because or their price. How do they hold up in on trails? Are they a decent off road tire?

I'm asking this as a lead into my second question.
I'm considering a second wheel set as winter set. Next to the A/T I saw a Destination M/T. Very aggressive tire. Does it do well in snow? It is studdable!! Would this be good for winter use?

Here is the 64,000 dollar question. Has anyone studded the M/T and driven it on ice? What are your experiences?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:30 PM

another vote for BFG A/T's

great on the trail, BEST offroad tire on the highway, quietest, and I disagree with the above post saying they aren't good in rain, they are awesome in rain, the ratings show, and my own experience shows. Last a LONG time too. When mine wear out, I won't even bother shopping, ordering another set right away.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 PM

Well what do you actually plan to do in the winter with the tires. If it is for city driving and dedicated snow tire, the nokians are a good choice. if it is deep snow use, then yes a m/t can be helpful, but for a DD m/t in the winter isnt really the best bet due to no siping usually and the larger lugs and lug spaces. Honestly if you dont do too much mudding the best answers have been given, while no tire is going to be the best in every condition as some may think, the revos or the bfg's (or toyos, haha) will perform admirally in all conditions, hence the a/t part.

Last edited by Godzilla; 02-27-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 PM

Well I don't think anyone mentioned them yet but...
Get some Geolandar AT+II's

They are aggressive but I drive on the highway to work every day and they don't make that much noise. Great in rain, mud, and snow. We had record snowfall here in Santa Fe and I rarely had to use 4wd. The Geo's are impressive in my opinion. And they are made in the USA
Old 02-27-2007, 09:46 PM

I dont know if they are made in your size, or i they are course enough, but I really like Michelin. I use their M/S LTX, but I know they make a ATX that is more all terrain.
The last set of these I bought for a bigger truck, lasted 98,000 miles, then I sold the truck, and the tires were still usable.
they are quiet and handle well
Old 02-27-2007, 09:54 PM

I've been nothing but happy with my revos. They have 40k on them and they still kick ass. I should have no problem getting 60+k out of them. I'll definitely buy another set when the time comes.

They are quiet on the highway. They have superior wet traction, and have performed very well in all off-road conditions (even at 40k!). I highly recommend them.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:17 PM

Out of the 3 that you are pondering I would have to say the Revos, but I think a BFG AT would be even better. I have run these tires on all my 4x4s. I've owned a set of 31 and 32 ATs, a set of 31 MTs, and now a set of 33x10.50 ATs on my newest truck. You just can't beat them for dependable, great on road, and even better offroad tire.

I say BFGoodrich AT
Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been very happy with BFG AT's as well. Plus they're my only choice for the size.

Quick Reply: Tire time - real world experiences