86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2wd frame to 4wd truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd frame to 4wd truck

hi everyone, im new to this forum, and ive been searchin for bout an1.5 to 2 hours now. im tryin to see if its possible to match a 2wd frame to a 4wd drivetrain and suspension. all i have found is 4wd to 2wd conversion information. i have a 92 4wd with 12" suspension lift, and a rotted frame, v6 5spd, and ive found a couple of frames that are only 2wd in my area ( 75+ miles). i was wondering if it is possible to put my motor, tranny, and fnt+rear suspension in a 2wd frame.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not an easy thing to do....
Major difference between the two frames.
In particular, the torsion bars for a 2wd act on the lower arms wheras on the 4wd they act on the upper arms.

It's not like the later "Prerunner" where they were 4wd frames without the front driveshaft and associated hardware.

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-09-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM

wow... you guys are quick. im not new to the toyota ownership, i have 4 yota's, but the 92 4wd is my oldest, and my major toy. do you have any advice for me? i know the frames on these trucks are crap. and my body has taken some beatings so it would be absolutly pointless for me to try to claim the frame rot recall. would a 4runner frame work?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can how ever do a solid axle swawp using a 2wd frame its much like doing it to a ifs truck but some say better because you can run hysteeer with less lift...
Old 02-09-2009, 06:05 PM

4runner famre might work but 4runner uses coil sprung rear suspension..

no ANY TRUCK CAN GET THE RECALL!!!
try try try.. if you were local i might have a 4runner frame in a few months im looking to load real cheap
Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mudd'dyota
.... i know the frames on these trucks are crap...
They are??? Your talking about a 92 right? They had some of the best frames ever.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually toyota truck frames are pretty much the strongest frames available. theyre VERY tough and VERY VERY hard to bend. i rolled mine at 85mph, jumped it a few times, and the frame is still straight as an arrow. even the 2wd frames are tough. but as to your question, buy a 4x4. cheaper and better. plus, while the 2wd frames are tough, the 4x4 frames are ultra tough.. i know that sounds weird.. lol.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...i have a 92 4wd with 12" suspension lift....
12" lift???? Maybe that's the problem.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:09 PM

well if you live where they salt.. i think he means they are prone to rot..
unless you get your truck krown oil sprayed every year like my surf..
Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM

my frame is complete rot, from front to rear, i barely tapped a tree, and it ripped the passenger torsion box right out of the frame. so you think i should try for the recall? this truck hasnt been registered on the road for roughly 2-3 years now. my fiance' bought it off a friend of mine, and he is the 3rd owner of it, and it wasnt even registered by the guy who had it before him. and thank you so much guys for the fast responses!

curious, i know this is OT, but why do they still use salt when gravel works almost the same?

my frame is complete rot, from front to rear, i barely tapped a tree, and it ripped the passenger torsion box right out of the frame. So you think i should try for the recall? This truck hasnt been registered on the road for roughly 2-3 years now. My fiance' bought it off a friend of mine, and he is the 3rd owner of it, and it wasnt even registered by the guy who had it before him. And thank you so much guys for the fast responses!
yes go for it
Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the frames on the 'yotas are "crap"- people take these frames and mod them into all-terrain crawling beasts- 3-4-even 5 links front and rear and crawl over everything.
Some have even rear-mounted the engine with "reversed" gear patterns.

If you're curious, use the "search" function in the forums.

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-09-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 PM

i live in NE ct. yea lots of salt. as of right now i can hit the frame with a hammer, and peel away at the rust. i had a 04 tacoma which i feel asleep at the wheel, flipped it 3 times on a stone wall, and was able to drive it home. no bend, no motor problems. damn thing saved my life. i belive they are the best trucks out there. but i have heard so many stories bout this year's model and recalls, and rust. and i can see how bad this frame is. i can easily sit on the ground and see how bad the rust is. im scared to hook it to anything to tow it.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
12" lift???? Maybe that's the problem.
I was kind of wondering that too... IFS with a procomp 4" mated with bj spacers and a TC long travel... it' be about 9" total lift.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I'm not sure where you get the idea that the frames on the 'yotas are "crap"- people take these frames and mod them into all-terrain crawling beasts- 3-4-even 5 links front and rear and crawl over everything.
Some have even rear-mounted the engine with "reversed" gear patterns.

If you're curious, use the "search" function in the forums.

yes im sorry... i know they aren't crap. i love yota's. but for some reason, my frame is completely shot.ill take pics for you in the morning if you would like. i dont even have enough metal to weld to, or i would have swaped cross members. its ridiculous how much rust i have on this, but this truck means the world to me. and im determined to get this truck to offroad conditions, no matter how much work/ money it takes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:19 PM

i live in NE ct. yea lots of salt. as of right now i can hit the frame with a hammer, and peel away at the rust. i had a 04 tacoma which i feel asleep at the wheel, flipped it 3 times on a stone wall, and was able to drive it home. no bend, no motor problems. damn thing saved my life. i belive they are the best trucks out there. but i have heard so many stories bout this year's model and recalls, and rust. and i can see how bad this frame is. i can easily sit on the ground and see how bad the rust is. im scared to hook it to anything to tow it.
either get serious or stop trolling. just 'cause you bought a truck the previous owner didn't take care of does not make it indicative of the truck.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
either get serious or stop trolling. just 'cause you bought a truck the previous owner didn't take care of does not make it indicative of the truck.
sorry...to clarify...
"does not make it indicative of ALL TOYOTA trucks."
Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM

you should be able to find a good frame cheap where you located??
Old 02-09-2009, 06:26 PM

its not that i didnt take care of it, it was rotted like this when i got it. i know a bunch of guys with this same year, and some have the same problem, some dont. so idk why this one does. i figured it was a major flaw. but i could very well be wrong. i tried to weld some "bandages" on it, but it didnt help much, i have only owned it for roughly 6-8 months now.

"you should be able to find a good frame cheap where you located??" i tried to find frames, but they are all 2wd. do i have to fab mounts? support arms? ill spend what ever it takes, if anyone lives around ct with a 4wd frame, im willing to talk!

Quick Reply: 2wd frame to 4wd truck