Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2nd gen upgrades...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen upgrades...?

Hey everyone, i'm new here, and a complete newbie when it comes to trucks. Anyways i have a 91' 4runner coming in from Japan for me soon. I am wanting to do some upgrades for looks/offroading but i dont know where to start. I will be driving around town alot, but also on alot of logging roads etc on my way biking or camping. I am also hoping to start a bit of off roading. So which upgrades would be most usefull for me? i was thinking about getting the front/rear bars or bumpers mabye a little lift, i was looking at https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54794 for a lift kit. I was also thinking about new tires....my limit is probably going ot be around 3000$ canadian for everything. What is do able and worth it for this price. Thanks alot everyone.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first things first, you can't go anywhere if ur truck don't run, so why not spend some money on some good ole preventative maintanence first. my 4runner ran so much better after changing out the belts, filters, plugs, wires, and all the fluids. if all of this is just freshly done on ur runner then u are good to go. that lift that u were lookin at is a great way to get a good amount of lift. i know alot of people up here like his products. then all you need is tires and a rear locker and you could go a good distance everywhere. in the looks department, you can get a safari bar for the front bumper, sliders for the sides, add on a nice roof rack, and get you some offroad lights and you will have one really bad ass and very capable rig. good luck with all ur mods and welcome to YotaTech.
-Kyle
Old 04-03-2006, 07:56 PM

all of the maintanece is going to be covered by the guy importing it for me. So i have money to spend on the other stuff for the truck. Any recomendations on the bars? or lift? or wheel? best quality for a good price?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search & ye shall find little grasshopper.

Where in Canada are you??
Old 04-04-2006, 02:42 PM

im in vancouver. No one has any input??
Old 04-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to the forum. your wallet will never be the same again as a group we tend to be picture whores, so if you post something, either asking a question or showing off you new ride sure to post pics

i have basicly that lift and i have been happy wiht it. you will be supprised how far a stock 4runner will go. if your looking to do mostly forest service roads and light offroading that lift will be perfect. for bumpers search for all-pro, BCC (big country customs), badlands. i would recomend aslo looking into sliders. performance mods to look into: ISR or Intake Silencer removal Manual locking hubs. either warn or asians. also look into a electric fan. if your going to wheel make sure to bring a buddy and plenty of recovery gear. a locker will get you alot further up a trail then an open diff.

Last edited by ToferUOP; 04-04-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:32 AM

What will the ISR mod do for me? Also if i put 33's on the truck will it be to slow and very hard on gas? I am getting the v6 version
Old 04-05-2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by daveylo
What will the ISR mod do for me? Also if i put 33's on the truck will it be to slow and very hard on gas? I am getting the v6 version
ISR lets it breath easier. 33 will make it slow & feel low on power - they can also be hard on the cv axles depending on what you do.

Look at crawlers website for tons of info on lifts & tires sizes.

I would recommend sliders for sure

Lift as little as you need, this will keep the truck stable. I did the OME coils (softer ones, not HD) in the rear (gives 1.5" over stock) & BJ spacers in the front again 1.5" over stock. My rear was sigging so I really gained about 4" in the back. I also softened the front torsion bars bringing the front down .75" so the net gain is only .75" but clearance is better in the front than the rear to begin with. The set up I have is very nice on the back roads - very smooth. It still runds very well on the highway as well. When the truck is airborne it lands nice & soft - no bottoming out.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:08 AM

If i re-gear my truck after putting 33's on will this help the feeling of slow/less power?
Also what is this crawlers website you were talking about? thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by daveylo
If i re-gear my truck after putting 33's on will this help the feeling of slow/less power?
Also what is this crawlers website you were talking about? thanks
yes

and here:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/index.shtml

this is my last post here if you are not willing to do ANY searching, good luck