Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re wont start AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re wont start AGAIN

Ok so i searched through the old stuff on here looking for anything that is close to my problem just to keep from re posting something but I couldnt find anything.
Ok So its a 91 22re I have replaced the fuel pump, filter, Spark plugs, o2 sensor, ignition switch, efi relay... It was acting fine for a while started and drove great but then yesterday decided it wanted to have issues again, it had a hard time starting.. Took a couple times of cranking it to get it to start, Then once it started idled at around 500 which i have it set to idle at 8-9 warmed up. It was also idling really rough. But once i started driving it idled normal. Well then today I drove it around (the check engine light has been on for a while due to o2 sensor) so i took it to a shop to have the codes read sense the part store readers wont read it. Well after they pulled it into the bay it sat for maybe 10 min and then it didnt want to start. It took about 10 min of them cranking on it to get it to start they pulled it out and turned it off handed me my keys and told me it was the ignition switch and o2 sensor as well as needing tune up. Well it started right up i drove it a couple places and once again it started right up but got it home pulled next to the shop turned it off then decided i was going to pull it in the shop but it wouldnt start. I gave up did the iginiton switch and o2 sensor where it sat and after that it wouldnt start.. All night it hasnt been starting and We checked to make sure it has spark and it does. Any ideas on what could be wrong. It turns over like it wants to start but once again it wont start...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
have you checked compression yet? maybe its a timing issue? if you know you have spark when it won't start. listen for injector ticking. Have you checked the afm yet? thats what sends the signal to the cor relay witch sends power to the fuel pump. If its not starting.. get access to the wires to the fuel pump and check to see if they have power when you're cranking. Or you can use the "diagnostic port" under the hood to "jump" the fuel pump(sends power constant to fp).
Old 04-23-2010, 12:55 AM

It should have compression bc its got less then 10k on it. I didnt hear injector ticking. I havent checked amf yet... How do I use to diagnotic port to jump the fuel pump??
Old 04-23-2010, 12:58 AM
totally a bro
Staff

check the service manual. But basicaly one of the terminals is a power. the terminal that is fp is fuel pump i believe.. so you run a paper clip from the power to the fp terminal and you should hear the pump going with the key turned on.

also please confirm compression. You never assume anything when you're diagnosing.

Last edited by vital22re; 04-23-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:08 AM

MMm Ok Will do boss =] Thank you. I got angery today with it and ended up giving up after dark.. Ill go ahead and check that i figured 2marro im going to start on all and start from scratch... I just dont get it its been so on and off and now it wont start at all. Also I thought of timing but I dont have the sticker that tells me where it needs to be and I cant check it without it running so sense it wont start i cant do it.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 AM
totally a bro
Staff

its all just a process of elimination. Get a fresh start tomarrow and you should be good. Don't assume anything and test everything you think could be remotely related. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 AM

My truck did the same,The Brand new Cat converter was deffective.It broke up inside,and was blocking the exhaust.It would do great,then a hunk of converter would move and block the exhaust flow and it would not start,or would run like crap.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 PM

Ok so an update...
Checked compresion it was good, Checked Coil it was fine, Checked spark plug gaps good, checked all grounds good, checked battery again it was good, checked ignition switch that was newly installed it was good, Checked to see if its getting fuel it is & also checked to make sure filter was good, It is and plenty of fuel is getting through it, Starter Solenoid seems to be working bc its pushing the fly wheel, starters good, Fuel is good, Pulled the Cap & Rotor and it did have some build up but it was cleaned off and still didnt make a differnce although last resort move im going to buy one 2marro just in case but my dad did say he has cleaned them off before and it atleast should show some improvment, I had my dad double check all the stuff i checked to make sure I wasnt missing anything (he always tells me im a girl so im going to miss something simple ha)...
So we are running out of ideas and thats pretty much all the manual has listed to check. I cant check my timing because well it wont start at all so that means no checking it until it will atleast start. I also went through checked all fuses and relays and even bought a fuel pump relay to double check it but its getting fuel as I said so I have pretty much ruled all of that stuff out. Ideas?
Old 04-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Also, If my computer was fried it wouldnt be even attempting to start or would everything be dead?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dang Girl, I HATE those mysteries! It's fun if it's just a second car.....but DANG, when you need it. Oh hell, it can still be really frustrating, eh? lol.

Well, my issues are more initial open loop, but it starts fine, .....hmmmmmm, you're sure your ignition system is all working properly, eh?

The timing should be @ 5*, being a 22re, but can't be sure on a 91. I would assume it's the same. Can the AFM flap be stuck, guys? I mean, she'd still get spark and fuel pump would pump fuel(if she's bypassed the fuel pump with a clip), but it wouldn't have the Air to ignite, ..no?

Sure hope you get it running soon, KC Chick.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-23-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 PM

have you cleared the codes since you did the o2?? Are there any new codes stored?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM

Havent cleared the codes and re checked it because I have to take it to a shop to do that and It wont start. Which means I would have to tow it to a shop and I dont really want to tow it there and back, the only local shop i have found that does it without costing over 150 bucks is a good 30 min atleast drive away. But if my computer was frid it would have shown up when they ran the codes that day wouldnt it have?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Hun, it's a '91, you can pull the codes yourself. IIRC, a paperclip in the diagnostic port, T and E1. You can clear the codes by pulling the main EFI fuse for a few minutes.....

this page might help http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector

Last edited by a4runnerfreak; 04-23-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 PM

I can clear the codes by pulling efi fuse? & IIRC? I dont want to sound stupid but I have no idea...
Old 04-23-2010, 08:17 PM

If I Remember Correctly.....lol. And I remembered right.....but have a look at the link in my previous post. And yes, you can clear the codes by pulling the EFI fuse for like 10-15 minutes.....
Old 04-23-2010, 08:25 PM

Oh I didnt even notice that link... Lol sorry!!! And Im going out to pull that fuse right now All i do is pull it I dont have to turn the key on or anything right?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 PM

not that I remember. But like I said, pull it for 'bout 10-15 minutes......
Old 04-23-2010, 08:31 PM

Ill pull it for the night how about that.. Its pouring and of course the truck decided to break down before i got it in the shop.. Lucky me
Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 PM

You must have the same luck I do......lol. And for the night is plenty of time.....lol.
And it's not raining right now!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 PM

It is here...

Quick Reply: 22re wont start AGAIN