Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re replacement help!

Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re replacement help!

Hi, I'm new to YotaTech so cut me some slack if I make any mistakes.

I am a a high school kid getting into toyotas! My dad had an 89 22re 4wd 4runner with a softtop, so he recommended me to get a 4runner as my first car. I liked the interior and features of 90-95 generation better, so I shopped around Craigslist until I found a Black 1991 4runner with a 22re and a 5 speed. It had 190k on the engine and body, but the guy I got it from said he rebuilt it at around 170k. Unfortunately, he didn't do a great job and it turns out it had a vicious oil leak that I didn't know about until guess what. Yep! I made the newbie mistake of not checking the oil. And I threw a bearing and cracked the block. So I pulled the engine out and I got a donor engine from a 1990 pickup from a friend of mine. It has 160K on it just needs the timing chain redone.

How should I get this engine in my truck? Should I do the timing chain first? Should I pull the transmission and bolt it all up first then put it all in at once? Or should I just drop it in and bolt it all together from underneath my truck. Help is totally appreciated, thanks!

Deryk
Old 02-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've only done engine by itself. Mite long with tranny and t-case attached.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was just wondering which of your threads to respond to
Old 02-28-2017, 01:04 PM

Sorry I forgot to delete the other one. It might get more views if I leave it in both areas?

How hard is it to drop it in and wire it and everything?
Old 02-28-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
I've only done engine by itself. Mite long with tranny and t-case attached.
You think so?

How long did it take for you to get everything running?
Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 on it being a long part. Luckily I had a boom wrecker and a helper to thread it in. As far as the wiring, I'm no help there. Wiring is my nemesis. It always takes a few more days than you think.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Iirc the FSM says to separate the transfer case then pull the motor and trans as one. I think the thought being you only have one moving component, whereas if you leave the trans you have the motor which can slide around plus the trans that can shift and tilt.

It is definitely easier to mount a trans to an engine in place than to mount an engine to a trans.

If it was me. I would drop the trans. Install the engine, then mount the trans, and finally the x-fer case.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:30 PM

How hard is the transfer case and gear linkages and stuff to remove?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I don't check yotatech as often as I used to.

The linkages aren't hard at all. When you take the shifter boot and center floor console apart, you'll see how simple the setup is. The manual shifter and stick are held down by 4(? Fuzzy memory) screws and then the stick comes out of the seat and socket.

For a top shift x-fer case it's a similar setup. Undo the bolts that hold the shift levers down and pop them up out of their sockets.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Dstearns_22re
How should I get this engine in my truck? Should I do the timing chain first? Should I pull the transmission and bolt it all up first then put it all in at once? Or should I just drop it in and bolt it all together from underneath my truck. Help is totally appreciated, thanks!
you should put it in the same way you pulled the original. if you pulled the original with the transmission and transfer case attached, you ought to be able to put them back in the same way. if you only pulled the engine, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to put the "new" engine back it. why make it difficult?

you should do the timing chain while it the "new" engine is out, however.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:56 PM

problem, the new/old engine has a slight rod knock. What should I do now? I'm thinking about just selling it all for 2000 and getting a 2000 3RZ-FE 5spd 4runner that I found on Craigslist. This ruined my day.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Cool

problem, the new/old engine has a slight rod knock. What should I do now? I'm thinking about just selling it all for 2000 and getting a 2000 3RZ-FE 5spd 4runner that I found on Craigslist. This ruined my day.
Ran it without oil, threw a bearing (don't know how you'd do that), cracked the block; now you want to get a 17 years old V-6 4runner from craiglist? With your luck, I'd recommend a bicycle.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by JJ'89
Ran it without oil, threw a bearing (don't know how you'd do that), cracked the block; now you want to get a 17 years old V-6 4runner from craiglist? With your luck, I'd recommend a bicycle.
how is the 17 year old 4runner he is looking at a V6?
A 3RZ is a 2.7 L 4 cylinder?

they stopped the 3VZE 3.0 V6 in 95...

Last edited by dropzone; 03-08-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by JJ'89
maybe I shouldn't be on yotatech from your masterful expertise in this area since the 3rz is actually a 4 cylinder with 16 valves and 2.7 liters.

I hope your Toyota savvy brain can feel the sarcasm
Old 03-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
maybe I shouldn't be on yotatech from your masterful expertise in this area since the 3rz is actually a 4 cylinder with 16 valves and 2.7 liters.

Skewered...I might not get a wink of sleep tonight
Old 03-11-2017, 03:20 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts

and yet, the point is valid. you apparently can't deal with the basic 22re, yet want to move on to a newer platform with less supprt that is still old. who cares how many cylinders are in it. you should be honest with yourself about your ability to keep it running.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by wallytoo
and yet, the point is valid. you apparently can't deal with the basic 22re, yet want to move on to a newer platform with less supprt that is still old. who cares how many cylinders are in it. you should be honest with yourself about your ability to keep it running.
To be completely honest, I do think I have learned my lesson about oil. I am a new car owner, I could use some slack. I agree with the less support on the 3rz, but it is still a great engine. No engine can survive without oil though, something I will never forget to check again 😁
Old 03-11-2017, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You have to start some where. Is this the truck you really want and willing to spend some money on repair, but more then just the cost of repair, this truck can teach you a lot of things that do apply to any other truck you may want to get. There is plenty of support to help you learn how to repair this motor and the other systems on this truck. Cars and trucks are expensive no matter how you look at it. You can make payments or have a cost that keeps going even if it is paid off if buying a used truck. Even a new truck still has cost that keep coming on a day to day basis.

If you take the time to learn how to do your own repairs, it is usually cheaper then payments. Really sit down and think if this the truck for you and can you make it what you want to be. I have tinkered with the 2.7 and several things cross over from the 22. Far more information on here on the 22.

Maybe find someone in your area that would be willing to help you. Help some one on their truck even if it is not a Toyota to start to see how things are done. Your first question originally was if you should pull motor, transmission, and transfer case all at once. On any model, Nissan, Chevy, ... the assembly is just to long in most cases. Myself, I will not just pull the transfer case on a Toyota as it can be difficult to get everything lined back up. Transmission and transfer case comes out in one section when I do mine.

If you do go with this truck and repair, it will cost you but still cheaper then a few repairs at a shop and you will get knowledge that is going to save big bucks years on down the road. Determine which truck is for you is what I would do if I was in your shoes.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
You have to start some where. Is this the truck you really want and willing to spend some money on repair, but more then just the cost of repair, this truck can teach you a lot of things that do apply to any other truck you may want to get. There is plenty of support to help you learn how to repair this motor and the other systems on this truck. Cars and trucks are expensive no matter how you look at it. You can make payments or have a cost that keeps going even if it is paid off if buying a used truck. Even a new
truck still has cost that keep coming on a day to day basis.

If you take the time to learn how to do your own repairs, it is usually cheaper then payments. Really sit down and think if this the truck for you and can you make it what you want to be. I have tinkered with the 2.7 and several things cross over from the 22. Far more information on here on the 22.

Maybe find someone in your area that would be willing to help you. Help some one on their truck even if it is not a Toyota to start to see how things are done. Your first question originally was if you should pull motor, transmission, and transfer case all at once. On any model, Nissan, Chevy, ... the assembly is just to long in most cases. Myself, I will not just pull the transfer case on a Toyota as it can be difficult to get everything lined back up. Transmission and transfer case comes out in one section when I do mine.

If you do go with this truck and repair, it will cost you but still cheaper then a few repairs at a shop and you will get knowledge that is going to save big bucks years on down the road. Determine which truck is for you is what I would do if I was in your shoes.
Thank you for the constructive comment. I am doing all the work with my dad. We are gonna start by trying out the "new" motor and check if it's the timing chain guides that need replacement. We will get it in and try to start it and go from there. Thanks again. I will keep the thread updated with my progress.