Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Easily Overlooked Parts for rebuilding 22re and lessons learned...

Old 08-10-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easily Overlooked Parts for rebuilding 22re and lessons learned...

Ok so I am rebuilding my 22re and wanted to share my experience. This is not a "how to" but parts that don't come in most rebuild kits but that you will need (or should) replace i.e. Cold start injector gasket. And things to look out for i.e. Defective intake bolts.

Please share your experiences so we can learn from them too!

My experiences so far...

Misc Parts:

-cold start injector gasket ($4 at my local dealer, called my normal places first and nobody had it)
-injector LOWER o ring the one that goes toward the manifold, mine were all dried up.
-intake bolts m8 1.25x35 (they break easily)
-rocker arm adjustment bolts (when they wear out causes valves to get out of proper adjustment)

Things to look out for...

---most ppl know the "hidden bolt" that goes from the head to the timing cover (right under the cam sprocket) usually hidden by a puddle of black oil.
---intake manifold bolts like to break 6 of mine did and I was using slow even pressure. It will tighten up good with a ratchet but once you start to torque it, it will feel easier and then keep turning and turning and if you keep turning it.... POP it snaps. SO when it don't feel right just pull it out and replace it. I noticed all the new bolts went right up to torque (tightened with ratchet then torqued right away)
---"hidden" intake manifold bolt under thermostat housing it's an Allen head bolt and very long!
---oil pan bolt holes strip easy, mine did on the back corner (on the side oil filter) Is this a common spot? Best fix is helicoil m8 1.25
---chase head bolt holes with tap to clean them out and get accurate torque readings.
---use FIPG for oil pan not gasket (form in place gasket or permatex black, Toyota has there brand too)
---can't forget crank bolt try to loosen that while its in the truck with the starter trick. Although for me I ended up needing to use heat.
--- rocker arm "pads" (part that touches camshaft) may need to be polished. Just use emery cloth or 1000 grit sand paper that's nice and flexible. I couldn't find emery cloth but found the 1000 grit 3m sandpaper in automotive section of box store.

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 08-10-2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought too get a FSM so u know what to do, proper torque specs (although for head it says 58 but now it's 65 ft ibs), and where to use FIPG like at front corners when installing head.

Download it online! Search! Otherwise buy the 3 volumes from the dealer at $180 each and buy ALL 3 cause they don't tell you what's in it til u buy it (sounds strangely familiar....)

Was at dealer yesterday and seen they were selling the Haynes so I commented about it and asked if they carry the FSMs too and he said what's that lol so I told him "factory service manual" then he says yeah but gotta order them and really a rip off. He said he wouldn't even buy them. Would be ok if they told you what models are in each but wow $600 in books for info I got for free. Sad thing is they made other sites remove there links to fsm but now they don't even carry the old ones anymore, so the only way to get it is to find someone with the link posted, or ask someone that has one to send you the file....

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 08-11-2016 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Add info