Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re oil getting into intake after rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had a persistent oil consumption problem as well. Mine is a rebuild, bought in January of 09. Did the normal break-in, had the normal oil changes and oil consumption to go with... but then still a year and a half later, still was consuming oil. Not real fast, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 quart a month. More than I remember the old tired motor drinking. And no, doesn't have any leaks that would let it out that quick either. Has the black tar in the manifold, though, but I'm waiting to fix that for now. Just put in (today) the PCV valve listed above, I had the knecht's special in there since the rebuild. So far today, and I'll update, I'm not having the oil smell after decelleration that has been there since new. For $5.55 at the dealer, I'd say it might be a cheap fix. Chalk one more down for OEM parts.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:16 PM

sub'd
Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anybody come to a conclusion on this?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:17 PM

subscribed - anyone?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 AM

Well the PCV replacement has helped, to some extent. Still have the black goo in intake, but oil consumption has dropped off. I think driving the poopoo out of her over the pass a couple times did more to help. I'm still running shell T6 5-40, though. Could be too thin a synthetic, maybe? Also very recently have begun weeping under the front of valve cover. Time to adjust valves and replace rubber, anyhow.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by combatcarl
Well the PCV replacement has helped, to some extent. Still have the black goo in intake, but oil consumption has dropped off. I think driving the poopoo out of her over the pass a couple times did more to help. I'm still running shell T6 5-40, though. Could be too thin a synthetic, maybe? Also very recently have begun weeping under the front of valve cover. Time to adjust valves and replace rubber, anyhow.
Is the goo in your plenum still coming from the new PCV valve? The PCV valve can be a source of the goo but so is the EGR valve. Do you have the EGR hooked up or considered it as a source of goo?

Good to hear the new PCV valve is helping. That's what i'm looking for...
Old 11-13-2011, 03:38 PM

I do have the EGR hooked up, and I know it's at least the source of the particulate sooty crap in the goo. Could also be partly caused by my power steer idle up being "fixed" before I owned it. The EGR does function properly, and I'll leave it be. Yes, I'll put a cat back under it as soon as I can, too. I'm one of those people.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 AM

I'm one of those peoples as well. I run a catalytic converter too!

If your EGR is working properly then no need to remove it. It does tend to clog up the plenum though which could lead to poor performance and mpg. Which in turn may negate what may be saved on the nitrogen emissions... just a thought.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM

having the same issue. Vital what in particular caused the power steering solenoid to suck fluid into the throttle body? Was it the solenoid, worn out pump, or too high/low fluid level?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 AM

with the oil burning pcv problem has anyone looked at their pistons i have a build up and i think its from oil. was thinking the rings didnt seat but now leaning towards this as there is oil residue in the intake manifold.22re oil getting into intake after rebuild?-22re-block.jpg
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM

Hope its ok Im bring this thread back from the post graveyard. But has anyone had an issue of getting the pcv out of the valve cover. Is there a trick?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by spideynut
Hope its ok Im bring this thread back from the post graveyard. But has anyone had an issue of getting the pcv out of the valve cover. Is there a trick?
Twist and pull? If you have a replacement use some "leverage" aka vice grips, or pull the cover and push it out. The last option will prevent the rubber from dropping into the engine if it breaks.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Twist and pull? If you have a replacement use some "leverage" aka vice grips, or pull the cover and push it out. The last option will prevent the rubber from dropping into the engine if it breaks.
its been awhile since I was in the motor but isnt the baffle on the inside rivited on? I cant for the life of me get that thing out with out destoying all the gromets/hoses..
Old 02-17-2013, 01:06 PM

The baffle should be riveted on, mine is. Take the valve cover off, then pull out the PCV, then you can avoid dropping bits into the engine. As long as you're replacing the PCV valve, (which, if the grommet is that hard, you should be) don't worry about destroying it or the grommet. Grab it with some vice grips and hit it with the biggest purse you can find.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 PM

same kind of problem

I have a thick oil resado in my intake I just got the truck and I'm going through working out the bugs and this stumped me. Idk wat to do I need help I have a photo of wat it looks like just don't know how to post it
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 AM

i've also got an overpressurization issue. bought 87 runner with bad engine (con rod issue). got lce engineering econo rebuild kit and put it all together (except rebuilding head which had recently been rebuild and looked it).

from day one, had the exxon valdez under the truck when i parked but it ran fine. and i do mean a lot of oil leakage. after car wash got home and still couldn't figure it out because it splattered so bad, so i put dye in the oil and had a definite line from front main. wrote it off as a cheap seal and put a new toyota seal in. next time i drove it, still a big leak. now crank pulley was dry but whole front of oil pan was soaked and exxon valdez underneath again. in the meantime, passed colo emissions with flying colors.

pull oil pan, clean it all up, replace with new gasket, take it to carwash and when i get home, now have a stream of oil coming down off bellhousing. pop hood and it looks like it exploded out the rear half moon plug. plug is still in place. by now, i've got about 500 miles, including a 150 mile round trip highway run on the rebuild and outside of the leak everything seems good.

now i know it's not an issue with how i installed gaskets. pull the pcv valve and put in new one. no fix. pull pcv hose from intake and plug intake hole, go spin it around the block and halfway around the block it starts puking blue smoke out the tailpipe. i put a manual gauge in and it's pushing 50 psi at idle.

pull new oil pressure regulator and pop in old one and pressure goes down, but still around 25psi at idle. get it to operating temps and drive it about 2 miles, pushing blue smoke the entire time.

this weekend, i pull head thinking head gasket, nope, gasket looked perfect. going to look at the valve under the intake tonight, but i'm running out of ideas.

Last edited by nuclearlemon; 02-17-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 AM

The amount of oil indicates a major ring issue, period. Oil is getting pushed out by over pressurization. Blow by. Rings are no good or not installed right.