Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re fresh top end, now some problems?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re fresh top end, now some problems?!?!

I bought a 1991 2wd 22re pickup a while back and it was supposed to have been just freshly rebuilt. Long story short...got the truck drove it 3 days then it wouldnt start. After tearing down and searching for the problem, it had sat forever and had an inch thick of goo in the gas tank, had to get another tank, it was uncleanable lol, head was resurfaced, installed new injector seal kit, had injectors tested, new headgasket, basically rebuilt the top end myself. Now its back together and the valves are super loud, im a diesel mechanic and honestly this thing sounds like a little perkins, anyway now it has some white smoke when u rev it up, but clears up going down the highway, and also when i hold the fuel pedal steady and low rpm it idles up and down on its own. sorry so long, anybody got any ideas? thanks guys
Old 10-20-2009, 06:22 PM

also i forgot, i put a new timing chain, metal guides, both sprockets, all new valves, cheked and micrometer'd everything. Pulled each plug wire off, idle goes down on each cylinder.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now its back together and the valves are super loud
set your rockers at 7intake 9 exhaust that will quite it down and make it run better

anyway now it has some white smoke when u rev it up, but clears up going down the highway,

the white smoke is normal for a few minutes after the rebuild just clearing the oils and such from the greese on your hands putting back together

also when i hold the fuel pedal steady and low rpm it idles up and down on its own. sorry so long, anybody got any ideas?

Check your throttle position sensor may need cleaning or replaced
Old 10-20-2009, 06:32 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Hey OLHARLEY>>>>>how are ya?

WHITEBULLET......the only other thing I was thinking (in my humble newbie . novice opinion) is how familiar are you with the 22re??

My injectors are nosiy buggers and I know I've read that it a very common and benign thing. But, since it seems you have a boat-load more experience than me, I will say that if you say it is the valves, it's the valves, but just I know the injectors are very loud.

my 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:32 PM

alright will check those things, how long should the white smoke last? I have drove it for probably a total of an hour and a half total since the rebuild.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:34 PM

i am familiar with the 22re valve train, this is my 3rd one, and i have another one right here now, its super quite and this one is unbelievably loud, ive heard some loud 22re's but not like this. and it wasn't this loud when i bought the truck and it hasn't been driven 200 miles since then b/c its been apart the whole time lol
Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 PM

ya'll really reply quick, i really appreciate it!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Mine only smoked for about 2 mins.

doin good 92 been checkin in on your rebuild did you ever get everything figured out?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM

just got home from work , all wound UP!!!!!!!!!

OLHARLEY is WAYYYYYYYY ahead of me on skills, just thought that if you hadn't had your head next to a running 22re before, it would be alarmingly loud. but sounds like you've got a grip on that, so I don't know, try what OLHARLEY said......i don't even understand what he said. LOL!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

This will quite it down quite a bit mine sounded like a man for a couple days till I reset them to this now it's quite beyond belief
Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 PM

OLHARLEY ,,,,thanks.......with work I disapear a chunk of days at a time but I was pumped that I got that bolt off and can still count to 10 and still have all my teeth.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 10-20-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 PM

he got that from ENGNBLDR.....just busting ya OLHARLEY........you are the new spokes-model for him.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
OLHARLEY ,,,,thanks.......with work I disapear a chunk of days at a time but I was pumped that I got that bolt of and can still count to 10 and still have all my teeth.

good deal now on to the fun stuff
Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM

yeah tomorrow im gonna re-adjust the valves and see how that does, do any of ya'll know where the best place to get the metal washers for the fuel banjo bolt and the cold start injector, none of the places i get my parts from have the size i need. ?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whitebullet3
I bought a 1991 2wd 22re pickup a while back and it was supposed to have been just freshly rebuilt. Long story short...got the truck drove it 3 days then it wouldnt start. After tearing down and searching for the problem, it had sat forever and had an inch thick of goo in the gas tank, had to get another tank, it was uncleanable lol, head was resurfaced, installed new injector seal kit, had injectors tested, new headgasket, basically rebuilt the top end myself. Now its back together and the valves are super loud, im a diesel mechanic and honestly this thing sounds like a little perkins, anyway now it has some white smoke when u rev it up, but clears up going down the highway, and also when i hold the fuel pedal steady and low rpm it idles up and down on its own. sorry so long, anybody got any ideas? thanks guys
If the valves are set properly .008" intake .012" exhaust (hot), .007" / .010-.011" exhaust cold and they still rattle, the valve stems tip(s) may be pitted where the adjusting screw impacts it and/or the rocker shafts/rocker arm bushings may be worn and adjusting the valves won't clear that up. That doesn't mean it wasn't rebuilt, just that if it was, the rocker arms and/or valves weren't replaced.

White smoke, eh? White like coolant or like white/blue/grey like oil? If it's the first case, could be a small coolant leak in the intake manifold gasket. Latter case could be valve seals, pcv system or....

The hunting engine speed may be caused by valve adjustments, which would explain the noise as well, or may be a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 PM

yeah tomorrow im gonna re-adjust the valves and see how that does, do any of ya'll know where the best place to get the metal washers for the fuel banjo bolt and the cold start injector, none of the places i get my parts from have the size i need. ?
we just went through this last week with anither member, I think he went with the dealer. I did see them on summitracing.com and "earl's" plumbing? I think? earl's was listed on both summit and holley.com (as in the carbs)
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
If the valves are set properly .008" intake .012" exhaust (hot), .007" / .010-.011" exhaust cold and they still rattle, the valve stems tip(s) may be pitted where the adjusting screw impacts it and/or the rocker shafts/rocker arm bushings may be worn and adjusting the valves won't clear that up. That doesn't mean it wasn't rebuilt, just that if it was, the rocker arms and/or valves weren't replaced.

White smoke, eh? White like coolant or like white/blue/grey like oil? If it's the first case, could be a small coolant leak in the intake manifold gasket. Latter case could be valve seals, pcv system or....

The hunting engine speed may be caused by valve adjustments, which would explain the noise as well, or may be a vacuum leak somewhere.
All the valves and seals were replaced, and its kinda white like oil.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 PM

can't spell 2nite...sorry.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM

are they crush washers?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All the valves and seals were replaced, and its kinda white like oil.
Okay. You might try capping off the PCV connection to the manifold and the PCV fresh air from the throttle body or manifold (depends on year) and seeing if that alleviates the smoke problem.
It also may be time to do an oil change.

Quick Reply: 22re fresh top end, now some problems?!?!