Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r does not run well

Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r does not run well

Hey guys although i am quiet on this forum I am on most days reading and gaining knowledge so a big thanks for that but this one has me a bit confused

So either I'm gonna sell my engine 22r (90's) to the mobil oil company and make a fortune or something aint right

The car has LPG and has been re bored to slightly bigger 4 thousands (??? how much bigger does this make engine ??) The engine has a problem that has come up in many post .... but as far as i can see is never resolved

Hard to start (has fuel in the sight glass )
Slightly rough idle (get lower from 700 down to 500 over 5 mins ) also hear it miss sometimes (nothin major tho )
Put your foot flat on the throttle and it jumps while driving at less than 2000 revs (power loss then power back )
Now the interesting bit lol If I put a rag in a bag and bung up my air inlet car runs same rpm !!! ( I have siliconed all the inlet pipes and replaced all vac hoses)

As far as I can see if I spray carb cleaner all over the carb the only bit that ever makes it change rpm is the auto choke (the bit where the spindle comes out of the choke )
I have replaced all HT leads, vac hoses , exhaust manifold gasket (was leakin) , spark plugs , re sealed all pipes on air inlet (from filter may not be standard due to LPG ??? ) Replaced some of the fuel lines (looked rough)
checked timing 8 degree at 700 like book said .

Thanks for all your help in advance guys
Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you spraying carb cleaner "on the car" or "in the carb" and if it's a 90"s 22R it's fuel injected unless your running a standard cab 2wd and those are hard to find with the car as evertyhing was pretty much 22RE...

Your writing while thorough is cryptic at best, just try8ing to figure it out so I can help you...

T
Old 09-21-2009, 03:44 PM

nope its definatly a 22r ! Maybe they where used for longer in Australia ??? (I know some pajero's are totally different here !!)
I am spraying the carb cleaner (with straw in to be more accurate) around all vacuum hoses and also the carb its self. The revs raise slightly when i spay some into the choke (if you look at it from the side the spindle that enters the auto choke not anywhere near the cams .... hope that makes sense)
But they never raise any other time..
Also if I starve the car of air it still runs hence I could be rich first engine not to need oxygen !!!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u running lpg or pane only? or gas too mate
Old 09-21-2009, 04:07 PM

At the min I'm running only on petrol but have ran it on LPG with exactly the same problems....
Old 10-03-2009, 02:55 PM

ok so found what was causing terrible starts and lurching half way down the throttle
two vacuum hoses where opposite way round where they go into a bvsv the 3 way one on air inlet manifold (rightof carb as you look at it) basically it works by vacum cold the air sucks through the bottom when warm it sucks trough the top
So you need top one for choke and bottom for aap (fuel supply) at the very front of the carb near the window ... right hand side still tho...
I have tried to write this as clear as poss but it may not make sense to some.. But i know there are a lot of people running round with this problem.

But now my newest queery ... the car when on LPG runs lower idle (500) my idle is set to 1000 on petrol also very strange is if i block the air inlet when on LPG it will very easily stop the car (what i expect) but if i do the same on petrol ...... engine wont even slow down revs no notible change at all ????? I have silicone gasket stuff on all parts of the air inlet it aint running rough but just no air should do something ????any ideas lads ??
Old 10-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well the lower idle will die a whole lot easier than with it at 1000, and to run it on LPG dont you have to have the timing advanced?? like as much so it doesent run well on gasoline? and how well do you know this truck? does it have a cam? my timing is set at 12* BTDC maybe you should try advancing it a lil, and the AAP is the Auxilary Accelerator Pump for cold starts squirts a lil extra fuel in there
Old 10-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About your stomping on the gas and jumping till a certain rpm...I had that happen once, changed my sparkplug wires and it was good after that.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:28 PM

no the lurching was more abrupt and was deffinatly the vac lines reversed so happy with that side but thanks for the advice on the ht leads (new ones any way)
OOOh could be to do with the timing advance hmmn I did adjust that recently .... but still the prob of car runnin on no oxygen and poor starts ???