Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r carb issue (86)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r carb issue (86)

Hey! My 22r yota pickup is having a issue, and I'm pretty sure it involves the carb.I've always had some flooding issues with this truck then one day, after wheeling it a bit it wouldn't idle. If the truck wasn't in gear moving it would die. I ended just turning the idle up as a bandaid fix. I was after awhile, able to turn the idle back down and it would idle.

Then the other day I wheeled it around pretty good and the truck stopped idling again, I had to turn the idle way up again to get home from my camping trip.I think it's the accelerator pump, but not sure at all. Oh and also, all my idle issues have only been while the car is warmed. When it's cold it idles just fine without turning up the idle screw.

Any advice or comments are welcome

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Sounds like you could have a week fuel stopper and when the engine and carb gets warm it is completely failing to check this once it starts acting up unscrew the stopper and put your finger over the hole tightly, then have someone start it. The fuel stopper shuts off the fuel to prevent " dieseling" when the engine is shut off while hot!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paul rizzo
I think it's the accelerator pump, but not sure at all.
The main mechanical accelerator pump functions as it is called, during acceleration only. (There is a secondary vacuum controlled accelerator pump as well, but that's a different subject.) Once the gas pedal has been pushed down to accelerate, the mechanical plunger pushes against the diaphragm inside the accelerator pump. If it pushed enough, all of the fuel within that fuel chamber will have been pumped into the carburetor.

The accelerator pump does not function during any other phase of the carburetor. It helps to enrich the fuel mixture temporarily until the slow jet or the main jet takes over.

Originally Posted by paul rizzo
Oh and also, all my idle issues have only been while the car is warmed.
On a cold engine start up, the carburetor throttle linkage will be manually held open via the Fast Idle Cam. When that happens, the throttle is held open more than it would be during idle on a warm engine. Therefore the carburetor would not necessarily be running only on the Idle Jet. The choke system is designed to draw fuel from the Main Jet as well during this time.

Ignore the Choke Relay in the picture as the 22R does not use one.

First thing to do is check the fuel level in the float bowl via the sight glass. Second thing is to check the operation of the Fuel Cut Solenoid as tazmaiac is talking about. You can test the function of it by reading the procedure in the repair manual.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the helpful reply. Yesterday I checked and the fuel level was quite a bit too high. I had to open throttle it while looking at it to even realize it was high. So that alone would explain in huh? I've got all the pieces to a carburetor rebuild kit except the 2 accelerator pumps. If I'm taking the carb out to adjust the float, I may as well clean and rebuild I suppose?

Last edited by paul rizzo; 08-31-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by slow-mo
Ignore the Choke Relay in the picture as the 22R does not use one.

First thing to do is check the fuel level in the float bowl via the sight glass. Second thing is to check the operation of the Fuel Cut Solenoid as tazmaiac is talking about. You can test the function of it by reading the procedure in the repair manual.

The manual says to test the fuel cut solenoid by connecting both wires to the battery terminals and you should hear a click. The wires going out of the fuel cut solenoid connect to a green plug, though. How do you remove the wires from that plug and then put them back in?

You can see the fuel cut solenoid and it's wires in this pic.