86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22r boggin' out

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r boggin' out

ok, i have an '87 22r pickup that's been giving me trouble. Sometimes it dies on me. it kinda of "bogs out" like the engine isn't getting fuel. hitting the gas doesn't help, it hurts. it'll die if i hit the gas, sometimes. this seems to happen the most when it's warmed up a little; after I've run it for a while, but it's always sporadic.

I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and this is what I've done so far:

replaced spark plugs and wires
replaced oil filter and changed oil
reconnected and fixed the hoses (they were messed up...see thread here for diagram)
replaced pcv valve (also mentioned in hose thread)
replaced cap and rotor
replaced fuel filter
replaced air filter

I've heard a few ideas on how to fix this and would like to start with the cheapest and simplest, of course:

run fuel cleaner to eliminate build-up
timing issue, i haven't messed with timing yet
still could be vacuum hose or pcv valve setup (if anyone has a clear picture on where the pcv valve hose leads, please send)
fuel pump could be problem, but i'd rather not touch that if i can help it

any input you have would be great. I'll answer any questions as soon as i can. thanks for teh input!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:18 AM

welp...i judge from your silence that i need a fuel pump. crap. can't drop the tank this weekend. maybe i'll just take it to the shop and pay the extra dough.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey wow there buddy

slow down before you start tearing into the tank. I doubt your fuel pump is shot. Seriously

I to have an '87 22r and have rebuilt that carb and worked those hoses over a hundred times.

The PCV, thermo all those are in the intake shroud.. maybe you dont have the oem intake on it? ?

One hose mixed up can make that engine run funny. Every sympton besides a rod knock can be produced from a vaccum leak lol

HAI Diaphram is operates a hot air intake off the exhaust shroud. This won't make anything not run right.

sec.. gonna go take pictures for you
Old 02-16-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine done simular to that and after a couple cans of Slick 50 injector cleaner and a couple tanks of gas , it starting running fine .........just a thought
Old 02-16-2007, 09:56 AM

Inside the intake shroud...

My understanding is you "capped" these two lines?

I cant tell you if the engine will run fine with them capped all I can say is when they're disconnected (left open) the engine wont run right.

HAI Diaphragm *note I do not have a exhaust heat shield*

Normally you'd have a heatshield with a pipe outlet right below the HAI diaphragm, then theres a small 4-5" peice of tinfoil like hosing that connects the diaphragm to the heatshield. The purpose of the HAI is to prevent carb ice.

Id also like to point out that the diagram you posted in the other thread shows the Cali model with the extra Emissions hosing. Show in the blue box below:

Last edited by drew303; 02-16-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:53 AM

HEY! woah, that helps alot. guess i do have some work to do before i worry about the fuel. Thanks for the pictures! Man, i'd have never figured that out.

on some other boards(camaro, other), that's all i heard was fuel pump, fuel pump, fuel pump.

can't thank you enough. i'll check that out today and tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

one thing, though....why does it feel like it's running fine and then bbbbbbbbeewwww it just dies while i try to hit the gas?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by deathstalker

one thing, though....why does it feel like it's running fine and then bbbbbbbbeewwww it just dies while i try to hit the gas?
Not really sure. Could be a fuel issue but before I tore into the tank I'd definetly get the hoses all worked out first. i've seen so many weird behaviors caused by vaccum leaks.

I've had one of the hoses on the distributor pop lose and make the engine sput and putter when accelerating.

Some drawings for reference:

Heres a drawing showing the MC Valve as well:

misc showing more hoses for ya hehe:

pullin a brain fart but I think the diagram below is for non-cali models.. I dont think cali models had the VCV. Atleast I dont remember seeing it on our cali 2wd 22r.

Last edited by drew303; 02-16-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:29 PM

might as well change the fuel filter out. It's located above the passanger rear wheel near the gas tank. Pick a new one up at a parts store cheap.

wouldn't hurt =)
Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 PM

... man you got me thinking today..

With the hood open, start the engine and manually apply the throttle (its behind the carb). Just gentle taps, listen for leaks, anything abnormal.

And, if you could get us some pictures that'd be great, help us identify and obvious visual problems =)
Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 PM

timing, timing, timing

set your timing before you start doing anything else

and then continue to check it after you change things that could possibly affect it
Old 02-16-2007, 02:10 PM

I wanted to fix the timing this weekend, but i need some help with that and my mechanic friends are out of town. For now i'm just going to make sure everything is hooked up correctly. with the new diagrams drew303 posted, it shouldn't be a problem. But, yeah, i'll definitely fix the timing by next weekend.

Originally Posted by drew303
And, if you could get us some pictures that'd be great, help us identify and obvious visual problems =)
Unfortunately, my mother lost my digi camera last week but i will be ordering another soon. my camera-fone takes weak pictures. but everything you've said makes sense and your pictures are really helpful. I'll get another camera with my paycheck next friday, so if i'm still having problems, i'll post some pix.

might as well change the fuel filter out. It's located above the passanger rear wheel near the gas tank
i already changed out the fuel filter. it was a little dirty, but didn't seem too terrible.

Last edited by deathstalker; 02-16-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:23 AM

maybe you dont have the oem intake on it? ?
that's a good point too. i'm trying to get all the oem parts i can, but kragen is the only shop near me.....

EDIT: n/m. i see what you mean, the intake shroud. there actually is a hose on there. it's just left open. that could cause some problems, eh? lol

going to do some work right now. will let you know of the progress tonight.

Last edited by deathstalker; 02-17-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:23 AM

OK, so i have ALMOST all the vacuum hoses hooked up according to the diagram. I have one "Mystery Hose" coming out of the carburetor body. Can anyone tell me where this is supposed to go? I don't see it on any of the diagrams. Here's pix. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:04 PM

Looking at those pix, they may not have been clear enough. here's some little red boxes to clarify:

This one is a top-view:
Old 02-21-2007, 03:45 PM

This should help =)

Last edited by drew303; 02-21-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:55 PM

awesome

i had already found the missing hose. i had some things twisted around with the two hoses that enter the intake shroud, from the bottom and the side.

I had switched those up and it runs A LOT better, but i still currently have these two switched:

So once i fix that, I will finally have everything hooked up correctly and successfully reversed all the damage the previous owners had done to my vacuum system. Then I'll do the timing this weekend.

I also had one spark plug that had wiggled loose, so i tightened that sucker down and i'll check those every once in a while to make sure they're in good and tight. i'm kind of afraid to tighten them too much. the aluminum head already has one that the threads are messed up on and i want it to last as long as i can. Eventually i'll have to get a new head. no big deal. brand new ones go for like $250! i love this truck

She's runnin' much better now. Thanks so much for all your help. I'll probably be posting again in the next few weeks, but hopefully not for these kinds of problems. Hopefully it will be for bucket seats, tool boxes and lift kits!

Thanks again!

D'Stalker

Last edited by deathstalker; 02-21-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM

how can it run good if you have those hoses switched? LOL the big one on the left is the fuel line =P

glad i could help tho =)
Old 02-21-2007, 06:11 PM

lol...maybe i'm a little confused and it is all correct right now, or maybe i have it switched with something else.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:18 PM

wait...where's the hose that goes up into the intake shroud? not from the side but from underneath?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:05 PM

OK, i don't know what's up. The fuel lines cool, it's hooked up to the fuel pump. This hose is hooked into the intake and the hose it's connected to does not have a splitter on it.

If i get a splitter and fix this, what goes into the intake?

please help thought i had this all figured out

i do have the california...do we have different setups?

Last edited by deathstalker; 02-21-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: 22r boggin' out