86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

vacuum hoses

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vacuum hoses

Hi to all! I originally posted this in the introductions section. This is probably a better place for it. I have an '87 22r pickup i just bought. This is the first vehicle i've really worked on myself and, of course, i'm having some problems.

OK, here's the scoop. I have some vacuum hoses that looks as though they were hooked up incorrectly, perhaps to bypass some parts that appear to be missing. Check out the diagram:

See the MC Valve, Thermo Valve and HAI Diaphragm in the square at the top of the page? I have yet to locate these pieces. Everything else on this diagram is here.

As for the hoses labeled 1 & 2 & 3
1 - this hose does not split and goto the mc valve and thermo valve. instead, it goes directly into the EGR Vacuum Modulator on the left side (at number 3)
2 - This is a hose I am missing.

Last question: Where is the pcv valve hose? I know where the pcv valve is but can't figure out where it leads to. Does anyone have a clear picture of where it goes? This is the other item i do not have a hose for.

I'm pretty new at this, so I will probably need much help over the next few months to make her into a beautifully running pickup. Thanks for any advice!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MC Valve, Thermo Valve and HAI Diaphragm are for the hot air intake for allowing hot air from the exhaust manifold heat shield i do not have these hooked up on my 20r.
if you know where the pcv valve is then the hose off of it hooks into the intake manifold just engine side of the carb. there should be a nipple facing up where the hose should go into. i even had aan extra pcv valve for my integra and i cut it and hooked a new hose from that to the manifold nipple.
as for hose 1 & 2 just plug them off.

Last edited by INFINITY; 02-15-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:46 AM

heh. that's funny. i think that's what "hose #2" was hooked into. OK, so assuming i do bypass all this, should i leave "hose #1" as is, plugged into the EGR Vacuum modulator and what do i do with "hose #2". Just cap it?

Sorry, i don't know what these are called.

EDIT: Nevermind...saw it now. I'll cap them off and let you know how it goes.

Last edited by deathstalker; 02-15-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

3vze vacuum hose similar diagram

if anyone has the link to the exploded 3vze vacuum hose diagram I'd be grateful for that link
taiko
Old 02-15-2007, 03:33 PM

if you are using the egr system i would just take off the the T where it splits to the thermo valve. take the T out and run a new non-cut line to the mc valve or use a connector inplace of the T. good luck
Old 02-15-2007, 04:56 PM

thanks, but i really don't see the thermo valve at all. i just capped the hoses that were supposed to lead to those. then i reworked all the other hoses so they looked like they are on the diagram. it was a huge mess, someone really did a number on it. i also found the pcv valve hose intake and put a hose there.

here's what i did, basically. the circles is where i capped and the square is all the wires that were out of order and messed up. it's running better, but now i'm having a little trouble starting. don't know what the problem is, but i have some more work to do.

i'm replacing the cap and rotor and adjusting the timing this weekend. i also need to strengthen and seal some connections. after that i'm sure i'll have some more questions. if they're not related i'll make another thread.

thanks for the input!!!