86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 4runner front diff question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1995 4runner front diff question

How the H-E- double hockey sticks do you get the snap rings off the intermediate & side gear shafts to extract said shafts from the diff?

I can't SEE the snap rings so I'm guessing they are recessed into the spider gears?

I've pushed & pulled & wiggled & spun the carrier & the spider gears & both shafts thinking they might be visible if I held my mouth just right but I'm stumped.

The FSM says the snap rings are there & jumps right to pulling the shafts with SST's & doesn't mention how to remove the snap rings like it's either A: obvious as heck & I'm just missing it or B: the SST's pull the shafts with the snap rings intact - (not sure how the heck that would work without mangling something)

This is the stock ADD front diff w/ factory 4.88 gears btw

P.S. I thought for sure I could just hammer out the pin holding in the pinion shaft & badda-bing badda-boom; I'd have enough room to push the shafts in so I could see & then remove the snap rings holding the shafts in the spider gears....no such luck.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:00 AM

Bumpity-bump

This is Yota-TECH after all. As many threads get answered about the best gear ratios & lockers to use....surely someone has pulled a Toyota front third member before. My experience is w/ Dodge & Chevy....they're easy. Push in the axle, remove the clip, pull out the axle.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:36 AM

Disregard this. I found the info I needed on Zuk's simple yet life saving site - http://www.gearinstalls.com/ifsinstall2.htm

Took all of 10 seconds to get them out once I knew they could be wedged out w/o damaging them.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 AM

Trying to put the shafts back in the way the FSM says to do it shattered the c-clips; there was a Toyota tech in the parts lobby (when I was ordering new ones) who told me the "trick" to getting them back in; he said they break them all the time in the shop. We'll see tomorrow if his "trick" will work or not.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:48 PM

[rant] Well as is usual for any business these days Toyota only got me one of the two snap rings I ordered & four of the six bolts. They said it may be the middle of next week before they get it all together. I didn't really need the bolts but the snap ring is essential; so my truck is immobile because of a sixty-seven cent snap ring they couldn't send correctly (they got one right one & one wrong one sent, happens all the time when I order from them). [/rant]

On the tech side, the one snap ring I received went in easy this go 'round. The secret was putting on a heavy layer of grease to hold the snap ring centered as the shaft was inserted; that way it didn't droop down & get sheared off. I also learned that the NON-ADD equipped IFS diff gets a seal where the ADD equipped diff has to have the space open for the intermediate shaft to seat into. I just pried out the new seal & double checked it with a micrometer & it checked out. I was afraid I was gonna have to go to a salvage yard & search for a NON-ADD shaft for the drivers side....the NON-ADD shafts may be thicker & stronger but I like my shift on the fly.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry no one could help, Brenjen. I certainly couldn't. I've never the done that job before.

Maybe you could explain the repair as you do it or when you're done so that there is a reference on YT from here on out??
Old 06-07-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Sorry no one could help, Brenjen. I certainly couldn't. I've never the done that job before.
No need to feel sorry my man; I understand & I'll muddle through one way or another

Originally Posted by thook
Maybe you could explain the repair as you do it or when you're done so that there is a reference on YT from here on out??
Well that's sort of the reason I'm answering myself in this thread I figure if anyone does a search & hits on some of the keywords they might get the answer they need & if they don't they can PM me & ask.

All I'm doing is installing new front & rear diffs w/ARB's built by Dirtoyboys builder up in Missouri named Victor of Victors offroad engineering. All the work has been easy so far except a couple minor snags I hit & those were because I'm not familiar with Toyota in general & what interchanges with what.

Like the rear diff I received didn't have a place for the ABS speed sensor to mount into. I have absolutely no information as to what diff they built & sent to me (as in year or 4 cly or 6 cly etc *shrug*) so I had to scramble around & figure out whether I needed to drill & tap or just unplug it from the truck & sell it. Since I don't tow & it apparently won't cause the complete loss of braking I just unplugged the unit. No ones fault, just an unforeseen snag.

The front diff, my-my-my......that was a dilly of a pickle for the same reasons really; unfamiliarity. Now that I have it out & with the snag of pulling the shafts hurdled & the snag of finding two seals in the sides of the new diff when the old one only had one hurdled & the snag of reinstalling the shafts hurdled; reinstalling it should just be the reverse of removing it; which was a piece of cake. Hell I'd be on the road right now if Toyota had gotten two of the correct snap rings when I ordered them instead of one right & one wrong.

Hopefully the pneumatics will plumb in easy & I won't have to search for the odd-ball fittings until I plumb in the CO2 system & manual switches sometime in the future.