Sponsored by: DashLynx

1991 Pickup Ignition Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 AM
KLM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 Pickup Ignition Switch?

Hello Yotatechs,

I have a 1991 pickup with a 22re and an automatic transmission. Problem is this, when you try to start it there is no crank at all, no click. There is no power getting from the ignition switch to the starter. If I make a jumper wire that goes from the ignition post on the starter and touch the positive on the battery the truck starts fine. Jump starting it with another vehicle has not effect. This came on all of a sudden, drove it sunday night, and wouldn't start yesterday. I was just wondering if there is any real common things that I need to check or does this pretty much point to the ignition switch. There are no burnt fuses anywhere that I can see and from what I understand these trucks do not have a starter relay? Any insight on this problem would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

KLM
Old 06-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It does have a starter relay. You need to check the starter relay and PNP switch.

Last edited by rustypigeon; 06-24-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:40 PM
KLM

Ok, I will do that if you can tell me where each of them are. The relay must be outside of the fuse boxes somewhere? Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Starter reley is on the passenger side fender wall under the hood. PNP switch is on the transmission where the shift arm connects.

EDIT: on your '91, the starter relay might be in the driverside kick panel in the cab.

Starter relay...
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../2starterr.pdf

PNP switch...
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...37parkneut.pdf

For the PNP switch, you only need to check continuity in the P and N positions.

Last edited by rustypigeon; 06-24-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 AM
KLM

Okay, well as it turns out the relay for mine is right below the steering wheel and a little left. The PNP switch did not show good continuity when I pulled it as per the FSM so I cleaned the contacts up a little and put it back together and still had the same problem. So I removed the panel below the steering wheel that covers the back of the ignition switch and found a crimp on connector joining the starter relay wire to one of the heavy black wires in the ignition switch. Apparently that crappy little crimp connector was not making a good connection because when I pinched it with a pair of pliers the truck starts fine. Why that wire was added on and what happened to the original wire is beyond me, apparently the PO hack wired it, I will get back in there and solder and heat shrink those tonight. I also found the wire that powers the stereo to be stabbed underneath a fuse in Junction block 1. So I have to find a power wire to connect that into as well. Why the original wires were not used is a bit unnerving but I will have to go with what works for now as I don't have time to tear the dash out and figure out what is happening with that original wiring. Do you know of an acceptable wire that I could patch they stereo wire into? Thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 PM

I was just looking for a wiring diagram for your year truck and I found this...

http://0.tqn.com/d/autorepair/1/0/4/A/41767989.gif

This is a bit different than later model trucks, as this diagram does not show a starter relay for earlier trucks with an automatic transmission, which I was not aware of. Are you sure that is a starter relay that you are looking at? I am wondering if the previous owner tried to bypass the neutral start switch with those crimped wires? Anyways my apologies for the mix-up. I know at least the model '94 and later trucks use a starter relay for both manual and automatic transmissions.

As far as the stereo wire goes. If you are talking about the one that powers the stereo, just hook it up to the "radio" fuse. This will ensure that it turns off when you take the key out of the ignition. The previous owner may have already done this if you stereo shuts off when the key is in the off position.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM
KLM

Thanks Rusty,

That makes a lot more sense. I don't know that it's a relay under the dash I just assumed since I coudnt find it anywhere else. So as far as the radio you mean to break the wire going to the radio fuse? The po had just wrapped the wire around one post of the fuse and shoved it back in the block, this doesn't seem real acceptable to me. Anymore input on that would be great! Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by KLM
So as far as the radio you mean to break the wire going to the radio fuse? The po had just wrapped the wire around one post of the fuse and shoved it back in the block, this doesn't seem real acceptable to me. Anymore input on that would be great! Thanks again.
You could clean it up a bit by using an automotive fuse tap as pictured below. That would be a step up from having the wire stuffed under the fuse. The only downside of the fuse taps are that they tend to spread the contacts for the fuse and makes it harder to get a good electrical connection on the fuse if you ever decide to remove the fuse tap. Since the previous owner already stuffed a wire under the fuse, your contacts are probably already spread out anyway. You just crimp on a female spade terminal to the stereo wire, and then connect the spade terminal to the fuse tap.

The other option would be to find the original stereo wire and crimp on to that. My wiring diagram for a '94 pickup shows a gray wire as being the radio power wire. Take that with a grain of salt, as we have already seen that there is a difference in the starter circuit between our model years.

Anyway, here is what a fuse tap looks like... If your contacts are already spread out, the one on the left is a better option. If not, the one on the right is a good option, as it will not spread out the contacts any further.

Last edited by rustypigeon; 06-26-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 AM
KLM

Thanks for the info rusty! I will get in there and sort the rest of it out tonight. I'll let you know what I find and decide to do.