Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 Toyoya Sunrader (22RE) possible fuel pump issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Toyoya Sunrader (22RE) possible fuel pump issue?

Hello all!
I have a friend who is going to sell me his 1987 Toyota Sunrader with the 22RE. The RV has been sitting for around 7 years (i believe it was running when it was parked). Before purchasing it, I would like to see if I can get it running.
When attempting to start the vehicle, the engine turns over and will not start. I checked the distributor and it has good spark going to the plugs. With my limited knowledge, i'm guessing it is probably the fuel pump?

I'm trying to find the easiest way to diagnose this issue without dropping the take and replacing the pump.
Would a good option be to pull out the cold start injector and see if fuel is pumping while i attempt to start the engine?

Any ideas on things I should test is appreciated!
Thank you!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by skuff2
...I'm trying to find the easiest way to diagnose this issue without dropping the take and replacing the pump.
Would a good option be to pull out the cold start injector and see if fuel is pumping while i attempt to start the engine?..!
Good idea to not blindly guess and replace parts.

Easiest and least costly is by using the senses.
  • You already saw spark. Good!
  • Do you see fuel level? Do you see /smell fuel quality? Fuel quality's probably bad from sitting that long.
  • When you crank, do you hear the Circuit Opening Relay (COR) clicking behind the glove box? That turns the fuel pump on.
  • When you crank can you hear the fuel pump run?
  • After attempted starts do you smell fuel?
Yes, take CSI off the throttle body, have something ready to catch fuel if it works. If it squirts, then you have SOME fuel pressure. If it doesn't squirt, disconnect the banjo bolt from the back and have something ready to catch fuel. Try to start engine. If you see fuel come out of that tubing, then you have SOME fuel pressure.
Also jump the fuel pump check connector (below), and turn IGN to ON position, to see/hear/feel if fuel pump works.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-12-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
... disconnect the banjo bolt from the back and have something ready to catch fuel. ...
I don't recommend disconnecting the banjo bolt. The "crush washers" that seal that connection are one-time-use and have to be replaced whenever removed. Not sure? You're ready to chance it? With gasoline??

Instead, a much easier way to check for fuel pressure is to remove the low-pressure return line from the fuel pressure regulator, and replace it with a piece of 6mm (1/4") clear vinyl to a suitable container. Then use the jumper RAD4Runner described to force the fuel pump to run. I don't know a whole lot about the 22re, but on my '94 3VZE I get about 1/2 liter/min. Way more quantitative (and safe) than looking for "squirting." And since the return line is low pressure (held on with an ordinary spring clamp) you don't have to replace any seals. Just put it back on with the clamp.

IF you have fuel out of the FPR, you PROBABLY have good fuel pressure. So why won't it start? While I almost always recommend against using "starter fluid" for anything, this time I would. If you can get it to "catch" with starter fluid that suggests spark is good and fuel is bad. (It's hard to get it to "run" with starter fluid because you'll usually have the induction plumbing disconnected.) If it won't catch with starter fluid, you could have more serious problems, like no compression.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
more likely location of fuel pump test connector for '87:

it is inside the smaller black box that has a flip-up top, to the right of the large black box. use a paperclip to connect the Fp and B+ terminals, turn the key to "on" but not to start, and listen for the sound of the pump. the cover has "diagnostic" printed (embossed) on it.

Last edited by wallytoo; 01-12-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions!

Fuel level - 3/4 full
Hear COR - I want to say no, although I'm going to double check this later today.
Hear fuel pump - I also do not remember hearing the pump, although I'm going to check later today.
Smell fuel - No I do not.

I have never used 'starter fluid' before, so sorry if this question should be common knowledge!
For this EFI engine, would I do the following?
1) disconnect the air tube from the throttle body.
2) open the valve
3) spray the starter fluid past the open valve
4) reconnect the air tube to the throttle body
5) attempt to start the vehicle.

Thanks!