General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Power-train overhaul & 4x4 conversion (Sunrader RV)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power-train overhaul & 4x4 conversion (Sunrader RV)

Moderators - This is probably in the wrong place, and if so please move it.

The short version: Looking for thoughts related to axle upgrades and swapping in a 4.0 lexus. Thanks for looking & constructive criticism appreciated

I recently purchased a 77 Sunrader RV -the solid fiberglass one, not because I particularly needed it but for a steal at $1400. The 20r was swapped out for a 22r what I assume was 100k ago and the axle was upgraded from the five bolt to a full floating 6 bolt. After digging in a bit more, I realized that not only is the 22r under-powered for this when its in good running condition, but I only have 20psi compression in cylinder 3, the clutch is going out and the transmission has a bad rear seal and the 2wd barely has enough traction to make it up my steep a$$ gravel driveway. So, basically it is a good thing I enjoy projects.

I have been debating on swapping in a Toyota diesel , a vw 1.9, a 4bt, but I think that the 4.0 is the ticket considering I can get a ls400 with 80k miles for $500 with the wiring and ecu. Does anyone have any experience with these motors in a truck? What kind of mpg would I be looking at?

This is also a 2wd but I spend way too much time in cascade snow with a disdain for chaining up, so a 4wd conversion is definitely in the plan.

I was thinking I could get a pre 86 4wd 5 speed truck with a bad motor ( a few on the local craigs for around $1300) and swap the front drive train and suspension into the sunrader, while mating up the 4.0 to the 5 speed.My concern is that the weight may be too much for the stock front axle (in spite of the rear weight bias)net weight around 5600+ supplies. I have also heard that swapping in fj axles are the better option, but that decreases the cost effectiveness of buying a truck with a bad engine, but allows a conversion to srw.

This will be a project for next summer (assuming the engine holds up till then) but I would like to hear potential pros and cons.

Last edited by Sunraderswap; 06-27-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you make a decision about what to do with your Sunrader? I have an 82 Sunrader that I'm totally rebuilding and was wondering if its possible to retrofit it with a 4x4 front end? Someone with a 4x4 Sunrader told me that the two wheel drives go pretty well offroad if I installed a lock in the rear axle so I'll have posi-traction. I guess the parts cost about $500 at LC Engineering.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't believe no one has offered advice, opinions or even a response untill now.

Yotatechers asleep at the wheel?

I think a yota 4x4 motorhome would be cool..pics?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I think it would be a bunch of work .

Now if you put no value on your time because you will have quite a bit .

What you want to do can be done if that is the main reason .

Find a rear ended 4x4 Tundra .

Splice the frame somplace behind the transfer case mount

match up your gear ratios 4x4 V8 camper

Fabricating body mounts and steering linkage will be much easier then doing a engine swap and converting to 4x4

The fact it is a 77 I wonder just what all else needs replaced??