Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 4Runner SR5 5spd - It begins.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally got the center console arm rest. All I could find was a brown one, so it doesn't match, but at least it is something to rest my elbow on while I am driving. It's actually pretty nice and I'll keep looking around for a factory gray one, but I might just stick with the brown.

Before:

After:

Old 07-30-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job on the temp gauge fix! Yes, that arm rest looks nice, albeit a bit off-tone. I can't hassle you too much though, I had to go with a brown shroud for my altimeter gauge set.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Isn't it SO MUCH better driving with an armrest? Mine was toast, so I had this GREAT upholstery guy here in Torrance, CA(he does everything, including planes, boats, etc., high end stuff...... But he thought this was a fun challenge to get it right, hahaha)...... 30$ and he slapped NICE Charcoal Leather on it with 3" TOTAL of foam... 1" very firm, 2" Medium,.... CUSH! hahaha..........

Instead of buying another one just to get gray.... maybe have it reupholstered? That brown one has been redone, btw... not bad,... but not factory.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM

That's a good idea about reupholstering, I'll probably do that. Yours looks nice.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by wescx005
Looks good, I'm looking for a old style 4 runner myself in the north Texas area. Will be my project car, plenty in the area for 1200 bucks but all are early 90s / late 80s 3.0 L v6's. If I wernt so afraid of the head gasket mess I wouldn't mind.
Don't let the 3.0 scare you. If you look hard enough, and do your research on every single one you come across, you WILL find one that was swapped as late as '07 by Toyota. You can either look online, or call your Toyota dealership and get all sorts of information on the truck with just the VIN. Luckily, my 3VZE was swapped in '07 and now only has ~100,000km/62,000miles on it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
There's a vender on eBay that makes leather console pad covers in any color you need. "Topgaiters." I got a grey leather shift boot from her and the grey is a dead match.
Here is one current auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-4-RUN...f0b063&vxp=mtr

It's for a later 4Runner but if you email her she makes them for 1st gens too. Be sure and specify which color you need. My boot came really fast even though it came from England.

I'm still looking for an SR5 console so I can get some elbow support.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 PM

They look pretty nice actually. I don't see any auctions for a gray arm rest cover so I'm going to email them and ask if they will make me one. Do you know how it fits on top? Does it just go over my current arm rest, or I remove the top of thrones have now?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:22 AM

Wow, GREAT looking product, Nervo !!!!! That's the same people I was speaking of, isn't it? The shifter boot thingy's? 100% Approval? Yeah, LOTS of people seem to love their stuff! I'ma get that shifter boot thing for sure! My console is covered... but would love to deal with my crappy looking shifter boot! haha...

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-01-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Pull the grill, but KNOW THIS... Those clips ARE NOTORIOUS for snapping off on one side or both when removing. You have several clips, several screws which go through clips and you need to be very careful removing it, ok?
I replaced all of them with zip-ties years ago. Takes a few minutes with some cutters to remove the grill, and cheap
Old 08-01-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm guessing you have to take the old vinyl off to apply the new cover. If the pad you have is a little flat you can add a little quilt batting to the top. I typically murder a stuffed animal to get filler rather than purchase it at a fabric store. My kids have too many. I would measure the console lid and give them your measurements. There seems to be three types of consoles for first gen 4Runners and I'm not sure if the "stacker" type (ChefYota's) would be the same as the console that fits over the heater. I have the DLX version; the low plastic lid console.

I am really happy with Topgaiter's product and that's why I plug it. I can't believe how quickly my boot arrived. It's a great value when you see used boots on eBay for much more money.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ezucker
That's a good idea about reupholstering, I'll probably do that. Yours looks nice.
Nice find on the console lid I have had the absolute worst luck finding one for my 86 SR5 Extended Cab that is factory and in decent condition.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM

Why, hello working temp gauge.

My oil pressure gauge is the same way (sitting at the bottom)... is it broken?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jameser84
My oil pressure gauge is the same way (sitting at the bottom)... is it broken?

Mine actually bounces up quite a bit once I start driving, but it fluctuates significantly and doesn't really seem very accurate. Does yours move at all?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 PM

EZ,

VERY important to know what your oil pressure is/to not rely on a "OH CRAP, I'MA IMPLODE IN A MINUTE, GRENADING A ROD OR TWO AND SPINNING A BEARING..... ENJOY THE SHOW!" = DUMMY LIGHT! hahaha. You have a oil pressure sending unit on the side of the block, just below/right of the oil filter... Pull the safety cover off CAREFULLY and make sure the 'CLIP' is even securely on the Sending unit..... BUT, keep in mind... Once again; The gauges OR the Sending Unit can be the problem.... Mine has always been the sending unit... But on a cluster I sent a buddy, Jason_TN, ..... the Oil Pressure Gauge was actually bad.

That's LOW, for even after 5-10 Seconds... Mine runs right on half within several seconds(at the temp you're at in the pic, .... even faster).

Just curious to see what it is.. not trying to make you freak out. BUT, it is important, ...Period, not "IMHO", ya know?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 AM

Mine actually bounces up quite a bit once I start driving, but it fluctuates significantly and doesn't really seem very accurate. Does yours move at all?
When I start my truck it moves up slightly, to about the middle of the bottom line and second to bottom. However, once I start moving it drops back down to the bottom. Sometimes it won't even move at all. I need to figure out what's up with the gauge (and I sure as hell hope it's that and not the actual oil pressure!)
Old 08-02-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by jameser84
When I start my truck it moves up slightly, to about the middle of the bottom line and second to bottom. However, once I start moving it drops back down to the bottom. Sometimes it won't even move at all. I need to figure out what's up with the gauge (and I sure as hell hope it's that and not the actual oil pressure!)
Probably not... Don't panic just yet, man.... rule out what's up in there with a good P.O.E.! You're not seeing plumes of smoke, right? I doubt it's anything but either 1. Bad connection at Sending unit, 2. Bad gauge or 3. some wiring issue going on therein.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Okay, I'm sure there is a really simple answer to this and I am just missing it, but how do I remove the plastic lining around the shift boot so that I can replace the boot? At first look it's simple, remove the four screws and pull it off. Three of the screws are no problem, but the rear screw on the passenger side is blocked by the front passenger seat! I can't get a screwdriver in there, there's only like a half an inch of space between the screw and the plastic that surrounds the seat! The seat does not slide back on the track, only forward, so I'm not sure how to get sufficient space so I can get a screwdriver in there. Help?

Old 08-02-2012, 04:16 PM

I guess maybe I can use the small philips head bit for my drill and the pliers on my leatherman, but it seems weird that it is this difficult.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I was able to get my screwdriver to bite. If you cannot, you can get a specialty screwdriver that could fit in there. Typically you find them with a phillips head on one end and flat on the other. The "driver" is only about an inch in length then there's a 90 degree bend where you hold the tool - then another 90 degree bend with the alternate "driver" is. Kind of like an "S" shape if the middle of the S is very long, and the top & bottom are the short ends with the drivers.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by My99
I think I was able to get my screwdriver to bite. If you cannot, you can get a specialty screwdriver that could fit in there. Typically you find them with a phillips head on one end and flat on the other. The "driver" is only about an inch in length then there's a 90 degree bend where you hold the tool - then another 90 degree bend with the alternate "driver" is. Kind of like an "S" shape if the middle of the S is very long, and the top & bottom are the short ends with the drivers.
Yah I know which one you're talking about. Sort of a pain in the ass but maybe I'll pick one up tomorrow if i can't get it any other way. Thanks

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner SR5 5spd - It begins.