Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1987 4Runner SR5 5spd - It begins.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I think that's the spot. From your picture I can't make out if there's a spade connector there or not. Clearly there's no wire hooked to it. Do you see a loose wire dangling around down there in the vicinity?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by My99
Yeah I think that's the spot. From your picture I can't make out if there's a spade connector there or not. Clearly there's no wire hooked to it. Do you see a loose wire dangling around down there in the vicinity?
I looked around for a lose wire and didn't find one, but it's pretty dark out and my flashlight just wasn't cutting it. I'll give it a good look tomorrow and will post a better photo tomorrow.

Thanks for your help thus far.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My guess is you will either find NO wire, or a spot where it broke off and he capped it.... Not sure why He'd replace that sending unit with a bolt.........., unless his got compromised and snapped off the seal in there/thus it was leaking and he had to come up with something. YOU NEED A TEMP GAUGE, so good thing you're on it, EZ!

Bound to be an available gauge on here from one of the yard vendors like JBM715... he has an ebay store, used stuff, mostly all Toyota... And he's had nearly everything I've needed. I know there are more, and that sending unit, to be honest? Probably available at O'reilly or even pretty cheap at www.toyotapartszone.com ..... give em a look-see?

NOT SURE, but I think this is what the replacement looks like(Only not sure because of the naming... "Coolant Temp fan swich sender" or some crap like that... Either way, it has to be available>>>>

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk.../201-0833.html
Old 07-28-2012, 05:34 PM

How about this?

http://www.autopartsway.com/Part.cfm?W0133-1634757/NTC

Question now is, what do I do about the missing wire?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO, do not order that... That is NOT the same unit... The one you just posted is "The Coolant Temperature SENSOR"...not the 'SENDING UNIT' OR 'SENDER'.... The one you posted? : It relays stuff to the ECU related to EFI.... It's on the FRONT of the intake in some of the pics you posted, on the left, next to the Cold Start Injector Time Switch.... Both of them face the fan/Radiator and are right under the throttle body. The one you posted can wreak havoc on how it runs when it goes bad... The one you need? NOPE, doesn't effect how it runs at all, from what I know... Just tells the gauge what to read.

The one I posted, Pretty sure, is the right one... Let's see what 89 says, lol. I don't recall the 87's having a fan switch sender... But anyway, that's the type you want, "single wire sending unit'... Kragen should have it too, as they also have the Oil Pressure Sending unit, ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-28-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:09 PM

Okay. Gotcha, I'll look around for the sender. Once I get the sending unit, how do I know what cable to buy and where to run it?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM

Well, .... I'd really try to look for the FACTORY INSTALLED CABLE, whether the connector is on there or not, you CAN add one easily. I have pics somewhere, showing that cable, but I remember it being short and coming out of the harness where the oil sending one comes out, then just straps over the lower intake center brace, then onto the sending unit. I would look where ALL the wires come out of the harness and see if you find 'the lone ranger', ya know what I mean ?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:39 PM

So here are some better pictures of the sending unit (or where it should be). It's basically a bolt with a small tab with a hole. I assume this is NOT the factory sending unit, but I do wonder what it is. It's definitely not just a normal bolt because of that tab with the hole sticking up out of the top. Anyway, I looked around and I did not find any extra cables so I guess I'll have to start from scratch on this one. I don't understand how the previous owner could think it was okay to just not have a temperature gauge.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Ah HAHHHHHHHH! YEP, that is INDEED your Temp Sending unit. Clean up the top of it and you'll see a waxy/resin like Yellow-orange Top to it... The Contact you see is INDEED, as well, the connection for the connector.... which you now need to find

PS> Look at My99's pics again... You can clearly see it's the same thing. You just need to clean off the top and you'll know this. BTW, it's made like a bolt so that it can be removed by a deep 17 or 19mm socket without having to remove the plenum.(DO NOT REMOVE IT IF NOT NECESSARY... Let's first see if it's working. Why? Because electrolysis has NOT BEEN kind to these intakes... and MANY things I've removed from mine, even a CALIF. rust free rig, have stripped trying to remove them from the plenum. .... OK, not many, but two have, very important ones that I had to tap and seal up with a larger elbow and 0-ring.)

Take a piece of brillo pad on a long set of pliers or surgical clip and reach down in there and scrub it clean(the CONTACT, ONLY)... and then take a lil piece of rag in the same way, soaked in alcohol and wipe it clean. Then slap a dab of dielectric grease on it and find that connector and call it Susie! haha. Look at your harness where all the injector wires/starter wire/oil pressure sending unit come out of it and see if you can't locate a floating wire with nowhere to go. I'M NOT POSITIVE it comes out there, ...but I'll take a look at mine, today, and make sure so you can try to see if you have it or if it was cut, etc., ok?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-29-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Now that I look at your pic again.... I see a blue wire... I wonder if that's one that leads to nowhere? I will look at my wire to that sending unit and see if it's blue.... Maybe you've just got it dangling in there and forgot it?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM

Hmmm. Where do you see a blue wire? Maybe I'm going blind...
Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 PM

FIXED!

ChefY - I don't know how you saw that blue wire because I didn't (and still don't when looking at the pictures), but you were right, it was right there. I had to dig around, it was dangling pretty low and obscured by a hose, but I found it, plugged it in to the tab on the top of the temp sending unit, and MAGIC, a working temp gauge!

I'm a very happy guy right now! On to the next project...
Old 07-29-2012, 01:41 PM

OK, ....look in that picture you posted, 'SECOND TO LAST PICTURE', right above the white 'Idle Up Adjusting Apparatus' that is for the power steering and AC idle up...(Big white screw with a spring around it's side)..... Look at that wire, JUST PEEKING out from a broken section of 'heat shrink wrap'.... Blue Wire, LOCATED! hahaha.

Love it when perseverance beats out "OH fuuuugetabout it... I can live without a ...... < insert there", hahaha.

Congratz!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 85GT-79FJ40
Looks like a pretty good score. Judging from the flares and prerunner style front bumper an enthusiast probably owned it at some point and it likely had some nice wheels and tires on it. You probably know this already but that's an 85 back seat. Too bad they didn't put the fronts in too I love the old retro 85 SR5 seats. I hope you plan on at the least doing some wire brush and rust preventative paint underneath. It's solid now but a few more winters and those rear spring hangers may no longer be one with the rest of the frame. On your fuel gauge my guess would be the actual sender in the tank. Especially if it reads full every time you fill it. Electrical issues with the clusters themselves usually seem to be intermittent. If you do decide to dig into the tank be prepared to break some bolts. I don't know if the 4Runners have an access hole in the floor for the sender (never had to get to it on the 86 I had 15 years ago) but if you have to drop the tank be prepared to round off/break/cut all the mounting bolts. Also be prepared to replace the bracket that holds the fuel lines and sending unit on the top of the tank. And for all the bolts holding it to the tank to break. Gotta love road salt!
I did not know they were '85 seats in the rear, but I like them too! It makes sense, because the backrest part of the seat does not lock into place, it is just stopped by the roll bar. I was wondering why that was but now I know.

It's funny though, the front seats in this thing are so much more comfortable than the seats that came in my '00 4runner.

I definitely plan on doing extensive rust removal underneath. That is high on my list, definitely will be completely scrubbed and coated before the winter. Last thing I want is for that frame to rust through.

Last edited by ezucker; 07-29-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 PM

So, as you can see, my grille is pretty beat up. If you look carefully at the black part inside the chrome, you can see the paint (or whatever coating that is) is peeling off. Any suggestions to remedy this? Should I pull it off and try to re-paint it, or just swap it out for a fresh grille?

Open to suggestions

Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Pull the grill, but KNOW THIS... Those clips ARE NOTORIOUS for snapping off on one side or both when removing. You have several clips, several screws which go through clips and you need to be very careful removing it, ok?

Remove it, then take a plastic knife wrapped in sand paper and get in there and sand it down on the grates/louvers.... Then tape off the Chrome portion and hit it with some black... or if you really wanna be different, hit it with SOME O DAT GUNMETAL GRAY, ya know? (I'd stick with black, you probably have a can laying around).... EVEN IF you use a new grill... You might need a few new clips to get the grill secure again in there... NOT ALL will break, but some might and some possibly already are, ya know? SUPER cheap compared to what I thought they'd cost at the dealer... Grabbed around 7 of them and re-did mine. WORKED GREAT, and when I did my AC, then went to pop the grill back on, IT WAS CAKE! Snapped right in with the new clips

Should be an easy fix, EZ, ...no pun intended.............. well, maybe a lil one! haha.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:39 PM

Hmm, looking at pictures online, I sort of like the all black pre-87 grilles. Even though the chrome is probably considered nicer, I like the look of the all-black grille. Are they the same size/shape? Maybe I'll buy one of those and put that on there.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:41 PM

I also need to replace the boot. The leather on mine is destroyed. I'm considering this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130610449018...84.m1423.l2649

Cheap enough and it looks pretty nice. Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 PM

Mine is near toast as well... I've tried to tell myself that it 'adds character' for quite some time, as a method of 'putting it off', hahaha... BUT, ...alas, I do need one as I finally sprung some holes. SO, ..... The BEST ones I've heard of are from this guy in the UK... He ships fast and makes REALLY nice quality ones... I don't know this guy, but at 24$ new.... with 99% positive feedback on 105 sold... That's not bad. BUT, .... the other one I spoke of is Leather and they offer Gray OEM color... which mine is. I actually want Charcoal, but I don't see it, yet I'll still probably grab one from the UK guy(maybe email him and ask if he'll make it in charcoal gray for me? haha.

The link is on my build thread... In my sig>>> Grego posted it on my build around 3 pages back or so... He's not difficult to find on my thread as he pops in and out sporadically. If you don't find it, I'll see if I can, ok?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Why, hello working temp gauge.

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner SR5 5spd - It begins.