Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1987 4Runner SR5 5spd - It begins.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
That's just one of the perks of having a first gen Runner. Whenever people ride in mine for the first time I always make sure they notice all the strange things Toyota did. Two door handles, parking brake, take the key out of the ignition while it's running. People are amazed. "What's the other shifter for?" "Where are the cup holders?" "How do I open the glove box?" "How do I adjust the seat forward?" Some people don't even know what the vent windows are for. Most people around where I live aren't used to seeing a car more than 4 years old.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ezucker
The center console lid/armrest I ordered doesn't fit. I guess because I have the center console with the rear heating unit, so I need a smaller armrest. I'm having a hell of a time finding one. If anyone has an extra one let me know, I'll pay. I need something to rest my elbow on!
Can you post a picture of the one you just bought? I'm looking for one and mine does not have the rear heater. I'll keep an eye out for your type next time I'm at the Toyota salvage yard.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
Can you post a picture of the one you just bought? I'm looking for one and mine does not have the rear heater. I'll keep an eye out for your type next time I'm at the Toyota salvage yard.

I paid $50 + shipping on ebay. PM me if you're interested and definitely let me know if you find one like I need! It is proving difficult to locate one.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
That's just one of the perks of having a first gen Runner. Whenever people ride in mine for the first time I always make sure they notice all the strange things Toyota did. Two door handles, parking brake, take the key out of the ignition while it's running. People are amazed. "What's the other shifter for?" "Where are the cup holders?" "How do I open the glove box?" "How do I adjust the seat forward?" Some people don't even know what the vent windows are for. Most people around where I live aren't used to seeing a car more than 4 years old.
The vent windows are by far my favorite thing you mentioned. I noticed this week that if you turn them at exactly the right angle you get blasted with cold air when driving on the highway. It almost makes me not care that my AC doesn't work.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 PM

Here's a view from the back, without the ridiculous looking faux bumper. I need to find a chrome bumper soon and maybe replace that rusty trailer hitch. Oh and I also realized I'm missing a rear right mud flap. Anyone have an extra "4wd" mud flap?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Nothing wrong with the receiver hitch that a wire brush and some paint won`t fix.

I am curious just how the brake and fuel lines look this liquid brine is really bad.

looks like the pinion seal is leaking it could be a clogged breather..

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 AM

Yeah that's the same console lid I have now. I want to upgrade to the dual storage type. Two compartments and a higher lid that acts as an armrest.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 AM

That Altimeter is pretty neat, but what's that first dial on left? I can't make that one out
Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
it's the altimeter

the dials go (1) (2) (3)
1- altimeter
2- roll
3- pitch
Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ezucker
Just realized the passenger door has two door handles. One so you can open the door from the back seat. Seems pretty unnecessary, but I still think it's hilarious.

Jump in the back and pull the passenger seat back, then set the seat forward and see which handle is easiest to get at to open the door. I find it to be a great addition to the door assembly.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Right on, EZ... great to see you getting on it/starting to restore the bloopers, etc.

Did you figure out the Temp Gauge? (sorry, on the run, didn't see if you'd solved that). If not, just was going to share that it's VERY common that the actual gauge itself in the cluster... Mine will be warming up and POP up to 1/4 within a couple minutes... Then back down, then up... eventually it stays up. BUT, it's also not uncommon for the Temp Gauge Connector to come off...it's in the center of the Intake, facing upward/usually a blue connector. On mine the pin was coming out... so I removed it and reinstalled it with a new pin connector. Did the same on my thermo-temp-time-switch(on top of the Thermostat).

LOVE the rear door handles, .... then I don't have to deal with them getting out.... Because of the OTHER factor..... the Seat Release on the floor/right hand side on the bottom/back of the passenger seat. IOW... 'they don't need you' to help them get out..... Unless they're a mess! lol.

You also have electric mirrors(along with the rest)... I like having all those features!

Great find.... Good price! Watching
Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM

I actually prefer the look of the bigger non-power mirror that mounts with 4 bolts. I had the little flag power mirrors but swapped in the other mirrors. The truck is mine, no one else drives it. The only time I adjust my mirrors is when I bang them accidentally and knock them out of alignment.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Right on, EZ... great to see you getting on it/starting to restore the bloopers, etc.

Did you figure out the Temp Gauge? (sorry, on the run, didn't see if you'd solved that). If not, just was going to share that it's VERY common that the actual gauge itself in the cluster... Mine will be warming up and POP up to 1/4 within a couple minutes... Then back down, then up... eventually it stays up. BUT, it's also not uncommon for the Temp Gauge Connector to come off...it's in the center of the Intake, facing upward/usually a blue connector. On mine the pin was coming out... so I removed it and reinstalled it with a new pin connector. Did the same on my thermo-temp-time-switch(on top of the Thermostat).

LOVE the rear door handles, .... then I don't have to deal with them getting out.... Because of the OTHER factor..... the Seat Release on the floor/right hand side on the bottom/back of the passenger seat. IOW... 'they don't need you' to help them get out..... Unless they're a mess! lol.

You also have electric mirrors(along with the rest)... I like having all those features!

Great find.... Good price! Watching

It's funny actually, this thing has more features than my '00 4runner. I have not had a chance to try to fix the temp gauge yet. My plan is to first pull the cluster out and try to make sure no connections are lose. It's weird because the tach and spedo works, and the oil and battery work (though I'm not sure how accurate), but the gas gauge fluctuates and is not accurate and the H/C just doesn't work at all. So I think it might be the cluster. If I can't fix it by checking the connections on the back I'm going to consider throwing a replacement cluster in there and seeing if that does the trick. I will also check the connector as you suggested, thanks for the tip. I hope to fix that this weekend. I wish I didn't have a job, so I could just work on it all day every day until it is mint!

Also, I need to find a good local rust guy quick, before the rust spreads!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM

After my first tank, my gas mileage clocks in at 19.31 mpg.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Pulled the instrument cluster out to check the connections on the back and see if it was something simple to fix the H/C and gas gauges. After cleaning and re-installing, it didn't fix the problem. Next I will try the actual sensors under the hood.

This is the view of the cluster from the back:

Last edited by ezucker; 07-27-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:43 PM

Can anyone tell me what this green light to the left of the cruise control button is for. It is not in the manual so I'm not sure if it is after market or what, but I don't think its related to the cruise control, because sometimes it is lit up when the car isn't even on. Maybe related to an after-market alarm system?

Thoughts?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 PM

It comes on when you open the door and stays on for a bit after you close it or until the engine starts. It's a courtesy light so you can see the ignition key hole in the dark. Original factory equipment.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
EZ, SOMEONE STOLE YOUR CLUSTER! .......ah, fhewwwwwwww, it's just you tinkering! haha...

YES, check the connector to the actual temp sending unit... IT IS NOTORIOUSLY flimsy and one wire in a HOT place, ya know? Made to last, but they CAN go bad as well(the gauge temp sending unit). The oil pressure one can pop off quite often too, if it's not 'clamped' and 'pried' into submission! haha... No, really, that is a different connector, but SIMILAR, and can just get vibrated 'loose' after a while.

HOWEVER, the gauges themselves CAN and DO fail.. The lil coil thing in there just plain wears out or snaps.... My temp just 'POPS' on out of nowhere, ....and used to have to bang on the dash to get the temp gauge to tell me what was up.... THEN, I replaced JUST THAT GAUGE in the dash cluster.... And from there on out it's been 'ok'. Still takes a minute to come on... and I KNOW it's something in the cluster, because I can TAP on it and it will drop off or come back into working order on rare occasions. Ya know? Can only be a couple things, you'll get it!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Any thoughts on why my gas gauge is inaccurate. When I fill up it goes to full, but doesn't really have much range, its either on Full or Empty. Sometimes it hovers in the middle but its sporadic. I'll look at it one minute and it's at half and the next minute its at empty, the next minute back at half again. Is that a sensor IN the gas tank itself? Or more likely the actual gauge?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Looks like a pretty good score. Judging from the flares and prerunner style front bumper an enthusiast probably owned it at some point and it likely had some nice wheels and tires on it. You probably know this already but that's an 85 back seat. Too bad they didn't put the fronts in too I love the old retro 85 SR5 seats. I hope you plan on at the least doing some wire brush and rust preventative paint underneath. It's solid now but a few more winters and those rear spring hangers may no longer be one with the rest of the frame. On your fuel gauge my guess would be the actual sender in the tank. Especially if it reads full every time you fill it. Electrical issues with the clusters themselves usually seem to be intermittent. If you do decide to dig into the tank be prepared to break some bolts. I don't know if the 4Runners have an access hole in the floor for the sender (never had to get to it on the 86 I had 15 years ago) but if you have to drop the tank be prepared to round off/break/cut all the mounting bolts. Also be prepared to replace the bracket that holds the fuel lines and sending unit on the top of the tank. And for all the bolts holding it to the tank to break. Gotta love road salt!

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner SR5 5spd - It begins.