86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 4runner Bed Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 4runner Bed Ideas?

I been thinkin about mounting a storage box in the bed of my 4runner. Id like storage that is not visibal to thieves. has anyone done something like this? Im not talking about a plastic container or something of that nature something semi permenant that can come out if needed.

or have a mesh pull over type thing that will not let anyone see whats in the bed. I usualy keep my tackle and rods in the back just in case im by some water

These are just ideas I have been thinking about if there are reasons this is not a good idea please let me know
Old 12-23-2010, 06:16 AM

What I've done in past vehicles and what I will likely do in my 4runner (if I have the room) is bolt in a lockable diamond plate tool chest.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:27 AM

by tool chest you meen like a tool box for your house?

Or do u mean like the ones people put in the back of their trucks?

The one that would fit in the 4runner are so small and have no storage

I think i will have to prolly fab something up my self because i dont want compartments like i have seen some people have i just want like a trunk in the back of my truck... if that makes any sense..

Do you have any pics ?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Just finished my storage box a month or two ago -> Clicky

Once I get settled into one area again (or the weather warms up) I want to really finish it by adding the sleeping platform onto the front.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:30 AM

What did you make it out of?

And what do you mean a sleeping platform?

I like it none the less i would just like mine to be taller but this is what im talking about.

inclosed storage.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I think he's talking about something recessed into the floor. If that's the case some people have done it but it involves ditching something from under the rig, like your spare tire or fuel tank. Check out the in-bed truck boxes and drawer systems, they're prolly going to be the easiest and cheapest solution without cutting a huge hole in your bed.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:37 AM

Well i def dont want to cut into my truck its tooo PERTY but i will check into these drawer systems you speak of .. GOOGLE HERE I COME
Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Frodojv2007
What did you make it out of?

And what do you mean a sleeping platform?

I like it none the less i would just like mine to be taller but this is what im talking about.

inclosed storage.
My box is just a few inches lower than the rear seat backs so that if I leave anything loose it won't slide forward and fall into the rear seats under normal driving (rear passengers appreciate that ). The link I posted explains what it is made of.

The sleeping platform part will be for when I don't feel like setting up camp or for staying a little bit warmer on cold nights. Fold the rear seats forward, install the sleeping leaf between the storage box and the folded seat bottom, lay on top and go to sleep - to this end I already have an extra rear window switch installed so I can open/close the window without having to turn on the key.

I think the best resource for this (ideas, etc) will be this thread over on the ExPo -> Post up your drawer/storage system
Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I picked up a discarded explosives box that I keep in mine for camping season, something like that would probably work well for tools also.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM

Ok i have decided to build a drawer system i will post what i come up with

I have so much to learn about this wheeling stuff ... been building go fast cars since i could remember its nice to have runner man these things are neat as hell.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Frodojv2007
by tool chest you meen like a tool box for your house?

Or do u mean like the ones people put in the back of their trucks?

The one that would fit in the 4runner are so small and have no storage

I think i will have to prolly fab something up my self because i dont want compartments like i have seen some people have i just want like a trunk in the back of my truck... if that makes any sense..

Do you have any pics ?
No, I don't think I have any pics, but just a diamond plate tool box/chest like the ones for a pickup. They have some that are small enough for a small pickup. Those are usually 36-38" wide. I haven't measured the back of mine in a while, but I want to say that it was wide enough for one of those. I've seen even smaller ones, but they don't usually have a built in lock. One could easily be added.

Something like this.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:50 AM

ok so i spent my weekend pricing stuff out and OUCH everything costsssss soooooo much lol I got a box for right now but i plan on building the drawers once i clear my garage out thanks for the ideas