Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

120v On Board Air using an inverter

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
120v On Board Air using an inverter

I have an inverter that is rated for 400w(800w peak), has anyone ever considered using a small 120v air compressor (like a nailer size) on their rig for on board air? I want to use air tools, i realize this isn't a big enough compressor for some tools, but it will run an impact(not to it's max of course).

Seems you can pick up a decent used one for cheap. I figured i would separate the motor/pump from the tank, relocate those two pieces.

I tried searching but all i get is 12v OBA.

thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I be really surprised if your little inverter would even start that compressor - have you tried it yet?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
RBX

No i havent tried, my father has one i was going to use a s a test. I'm guessing the start up draw is going to be more then the inverter can handle. The compressor claims to only draw 260w.

Last edited by RBX; 11-08-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
RBX

sorry, i should mention that the inverter is installed in a truck that is not running at the moment(nor tagged), oh, and the inverter isn't actually connected to the battery yet.....i'm just thinking out loud.

thanks

compressor claims 260watts, i will edit the above...mistake....amps...watts...they are the same right?...haha!

Last edited by RBX; 11-08-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, I have a 400w inverter that i use to power my small round compressor that i got from HF for like 39 bucks, it works fine but needs a bigger tank, I have a larger inverter that I was thinking on installing in the rig and hooking to the compressor if i mount it somewhere in the rig. not sure what to do yet...to many choices.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RBX

compressor claims 260watts, i will edit the above...mistake....amps...watts...they are the same right?...haha!
nope here: edumacate yourself Watt=P, Current is Amps=I
OHM's Law:
Ohm's Law defines the relationships between (P) power, (E) voltage, (I) current, and (R) resistance. One ohm is the resistance value through which one volt will maintain a current of one ampere.

( I ) Current is what flows on a wire or conductor like water flowing down a river. Current flows from negative to positive on the surface of a conductor. Current is measured in (A) amperes or amps.

( E ) or V for volts Voltage is the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. It's the push or pressure behind current flow through a circuit, and is measured in (V) volts.

( R ) Resistance determines how much current will flow through a component. Resistors are used to control voltage and current levels. A very high resistance allows a small amount of current to flow. A very low resistance allows a large amount of current to flow. Resistance is measured in ohms.

( P ) Power is the amount of current times the voltage level at a given point measured in wattage or watts

ohms law calculator link:
http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp
source for this stuff below:

Calculate for Voltage (E)
E = I x R
E = P / I
E = Square Root of (P x R)

Calculate for Resistance (R)
R = P / I ^2
R = E / I
R = E^ 2 / P

Calculate for Power (P)
P = I ^2 x R
P = E x I
P = E ^2 / R

Calculate for Current (I)
I = P / E
I = Square Root of (P / R)
I = E / R
Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love YT. Just wait a week or less and your question will come up without even asking it.

I got a free pancake aircompressor from my boss, and can score an inverter for cheap. Poormans OBA! I will keep an eye on this thread for even more ideas.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
nope here: edumacate yourself Watt=P, Current is Amps=I
OHM's Law:
Ohm's Law defines the relationships between (P) power, (E) voltage, (I) current, and (R) resistance. One ohm is the resistance value through which one volt will maintain a current of one ampere.

( I ) Current is what flows on a wire or conductor like water flowing down a river. Current flows from negative to positive on the surface of a conductor. Current is measured in (A) amperes or amps.

( E ) or V for volts Voltage is the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. It's the push or pressure behind current flow through a circuit, and is measured in (V) volts.

( R ) Resistance determines how much current will flow through a component. Resistors are used to control voltage and current levels. A very high resistance allows a small amount of current to flow. A very low resistance allows a large amount of current to flow. Resistance is measured in ohms.

( P ) Power is the amount of current times the voltage level at a given point measured in wattage or watts

ohms law calculator link:
http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp
source for this stuff below:

Calculate for Voltage (E)
E = I x R
E = P / I
E = Square Root of (P x R)

Calculate for Resistance (R)
R = P / I ^2
R = E / I
R = E^ 2 / P

Calculate for Power (P)
P = I ^2 x R
P = E x I
P = E ^2 / R

Calculate for Current (I)
I = P / E
I = Square Root of (P / R)
I = E / R
glad I took that class in high school lol.

The compressor is a good idea, subscribed to see if it works.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:11 AM
RBX

Since I jet fired the truck up last night, I'll have to swing by my father's house and test his compressor. I am thinking I can mount the comp(sans tank) in the bed wall behind the seat. It will be loud in the truck but out of the elements.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 AM
RBX

Oops I meant to say put the compressor in a safe area away from the elements and put the tank elsewhere , more convenient. Sorry
Old 04-13-2011, 11:38 PM

this is old but i been looking at oba ideas and want to see if an inverter would run a small compressor?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:06 AM
RBX

I haven't had a chance to test my idea yet, but I will post up when I do.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 PM

thanks. im also looking at the 12v puma compressor with tank