Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

01-03 Tacoma grill on 95 4runner possible?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01-03 Tacoma grill on 95 4runner possible?!

Hey guys. i'm new to this thread and don't have much on here about myself but I'm trying to tackle this project I'm really wanting to do. I have a 1995 Toyota 4runner SR5, 4x4, V6, auto and I REALLY am DYING to do a 01-03 Tacoma grill conversion on it. Really interested to know if anyone has ever done this, (looked everywhere and legitly have found NOTHING) and what it would take to do it. I don't normally ask for help like this being as tech savy and know lots about working, customizing vehicles, but this is.... my first foriegn vehicle(my girlfriends but I'm driving it cause she can't let my car go. Lol.) and havent really got into doing much with them. But anyways I want to do this because I love doing grille conversions and I LOVE the 01-03 Tacoma grills and would make the Runner look pretty mean. I seen one on a 97 newer body style and looked so sick, but nothing for the 95 at all. Please help.....
Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM

you would have to switch fenders and hood as well. I have no clue if the body lines would even be close. I would say stick with what you have. If you want an 01-03 4runner look go buy an actually 01-03 4runner or buy a 96 and up 4runner then do your silly swap with the bad looking grill.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything's possible if you are confident with a welder and sheet metal. Measure it up first and then see if it'll work. Most likely your are going to need to modify and make your own brackets.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Actually Chase, Idk why you even wasted your time comenting on this if you didnt care much for it. Also, must realize that I said 01-03 Toyota TACOMA, not 4runner. I have a 4runner, but I want the TACOMA grill. I just ended up with the 4runner and I have an imagination for creativeness especially when I end up with things that I didnt really want, but had to deal with anyways. My girlfriend rolled her truck over so we sold it to my buddy and he wanted to tackle fixing it up and driving it. and at the time all we had the money for was this 4runner that her dad sold her. She begs me all the time to drive me vehicles so I been letting her drive my car so I been doing some work n the truck. On the other, more positive hand, thank you gamefreak for at least a little bit of "go for it". Haha. Its been a while since I got behind a welder but I was born for this kind of stuff so hopefully i can figure something out.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:46 PM

As well as if anyone might have, know of anyone who has, or has any pictures of this done, in the process or maybe been thinking about doing this too, PLEASE feel free to post up pics, comments toward build ideas and any problems I should happen to come about. would be really helpful and thanks a ton. Ill try and throw up some pics here and there of the truck, nothing special just yet. But got plans. tube bumpers front and rear, winch, sliders, 3 inch body lift and hopefully a suspension lift down the line with a SAS in mind, roof rack with tire mounting for spare, hookin' up my cb and whips for me and the buddies to talk on the trails with ease, some better skid plates, snorkel and want to try and shove some 33" meats under there for now on 15's. The first foreign/Toyota I have ever almost own(my gf's truck but Im driving it for now), so getting used to it still.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
At the very least, you'll need the entire core support, fenders, hood, and lights.

I can garauntee the new stuff won't fit on your OEM core support.

Search for the guys putting the 01-04 tacoma grilles on the 95.5-00 Tacoma's. That will give you a better idea.
Good luck.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
At the very least, you'll need the entire core support, fenders, hood, and lights.

I can garauntee the new stuff won't fit on your OEM core support.

Search for the guys putting the 01-04 tacoma grilles on the 95.5-00 Tacoma's. That will give you a better idea.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot Scuba. I seen some videos and some stuff on here for the Tacomas, I can't remember the guys name but he had a pretty detailed update about putting the newer tacoma grill on his older one and yea, I know I am going to need that that stuff for sure. Those are definatly on my list, and I think he also had to fab up some brackets for the light on the outer mounting bracket for the light but it was really simple. I'm kinda 50/50 on asking around, asking for pcs and stuff because I want to be the irst to do it and dont really want people hijacking the idea, but then again I wish there were alot more people that did it so I wouldnt have to do so much trial and error. Lol. But thanks alot for your advice.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:47 AM

not saying its a bad idea or knocking you as a person. I just don't like the big nose hoods and overbite bumpers on the 01 to 03 Taco/4runner.

I like the aftermarket "billet" grill I have in mine. I have no clue what brand it is, was on the truck when I got it. I added the older Hilux emblem.

I would go to a JY and take pics of the 1st gen Taco and and 2nd gen Taco core supports to see the difference and what you would have to do. I do know some of the 1st gen Taco stuff fits our earlier tucks. But the body lines are completely different.